Garden Railway Dreaming.

Another tip to add to this thread...

Some of the PBR ground textures are so oversized that when placed at maximum scale they don't look out of place as real size for a 1:22 outdoor layout. Combined with some of the 9 and 10m boulders (equivalent to 15cm stones) and RMM trees sunk in the ground, a passable rockery effect is possible. I like this!

pbrgarden.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks! I thought I would try for a more organic look. It’s a fairly simple track layout which will probably take about 5 mins to traverse. However a nice change of pace and about all I can focus on during these humid 30C afternoons.

Thanks for the info Vern :)
One of the reasons I don't use PBR textures in my 'normal' routes is the fact that they are so out of scale when I add a human or vehicle to the scene, but now I just might take another look at them in a G-scale light!

All I need now is an 'active' day instead of a 'tired' day.

Cheers and stay safe!

Those 40m RMM trees work out at about 6ft scaled to real size for 1:22 so about the size of an established Leylandii conifer. A "kust" 5m bush sunk in the ground a bit makes a nice little shrub! Obviously when the layout goes live, hopefully in a week or so, you can see what else I've used to create the garden environment. I might even see if I can find an out of scale concrete PBR texture to replace the splines on the patio.

KotangaGirl, thank you for these nice and fantastic DWW GR 3ft Garden Railway Dreams. A simply wonderful Idea:Y:.

Best Regards

Epo:)

KotangaGirl, thank you for these nice and fantastic DWW GR 3ft Garden Railway Dreams. A simply wonderful Idea:Y:.

Best Regards

Epo:)

It was Ray who kicked it all off by making his experimental 'G' scale assets available Epo. I'm glad you like my test track garden line though, - it was fun putting it together.

Those 40m RMM trees work out at about 6ft scaled to real size for 1:22 so about the size of an established Leylandii conifer. A "kust" 5m bush sunk in the ground a bit makes a nice little shrub! Obviously when the layout goes live, hopefully in a week or so, you can see what else I've used to create the garden environment. I might even see if I can find an out of scale concrete PBR texture to replace the splines on the patio.

Thanks for this contribution, Vern.

Ray

No problem Ray. I am probably going to upload the layout "as is" as I'm having more trouble than usual getting Trainz AI to follow a list of basic b....y instructions! I have had trains stop on a curve and declare themselves "stuck" when the previous train passed through okay and the line ahead is clear. I had another situation where a train stopped between signals and wouldn't go any further, fixed by taking out a signal. Now finding despite putting a sequence of markers around the reverse loop, train will not go all the way round and instead reverses back out against the direction markers and continues to propel on the rest of the route.

I thought it was only MSTS which had problems with looped track and reversing loops, appears it confuses the hell out of Trainz, too!

Last edited:
Who knows what new forms of stupidity lurk in AI drivers' brains. Return loops and ovals test my patience too when an AI driver decides that backing up is the answer rather than proceeding in a forward direction. As for backing over direction markers that should be something that just shouldn't happen and has to be some kind of bug in the software.

No problem Ray. I am probably going to upload the layout "as is" as I'm having more trouble than usual getting Trainz AI to follow a list of basic b....y instructions! I have had trains stop on a curve and declare themselves "stuck" when the previous train passed through okay and the line ahead is clear. I had another situation where a train stopped between signals and wouldn't go any further, fixed by taking out a signal. Now finding despite putting a sequence of markers around the reverse loop, train will not go all the way round and instead reverses back out against the direction markers and continues to propel on the rest of the route.

I thought it was only MSTS which had problems with looped track and reversing loops, appears it confuses the hell out of Trainz, too!

Since TS2019 is N3V's current wonderchild and is supported by N3V (unlike earlier versions) you could submit a bug report about this. Whether anything might be done about it is another matter entirely though.

Hello KotangaGirl
I just uploaded your garden train network, it's beautiful and great as an idea, I think I'm going to work on a garden train project, of course I'm French so I'm going to do this in the spirit of our regions French, but thanks for the idea, I'll show you when I'm done

Sorry for the silly question, but what loco and wagon are those? are they on the DLS and I missed them somehow???

My apologies for the late reply I missed seeing your post. The locomotives I used are by Paulz Trainz and are from his Uk 3ft gauge range. My ones are very much modded and fettled though to run well on the advanced steam controls. The wagons and coaches are by Steve Flanders and are from his Irish 3ft gauge range of models.

Hello KotangaGirl
I just uploaded your garden train network, it's beautiful and great as an idea, I think I'm going to work on a garden train project, of course I'm French so I'm going to do this in the spirit of our regions French, but thanks for the idea, I'll show you when I'm done

Hello Franck. I'm pleased you like my little garden railway. If you want to mod it in anyway go ahead and have fun. :)

Hi back in March 2020 I thought I would make a real garden railway but I hit two problems. One was the wife "your not doing that to our garden" and the other was the large slope. Now I could probably have got around either or one of the problems but not both so it never happened. Fast forward to Jan 2020 and lockdown 3 (in the UK) and I find your thread. Brilliant idea, I've bought Trainz literally to build a virtual model railyway. However I'm literally a real newbie to Trainz having only purchased it a couple of weeks ago and the download station seems a nightmare to find what I want.

How do I find your model?

<kuid:768291:12650> DWW GR 3ft Garden Railway Dreams on the DLS

If you set your Content Manager to Download station, you can sort it by Name, Author or KUID number, and that may help you find things. Click on the label at the top of the column to sort by that column.

Also look for recent garden railroads by Whamm0 <kuid:57443:100946> Wiedy and Broad Leaf Railway, <kuid:57443:100947> Wiedy and Broad Leaf - Default session

and Euromodeller <kuid:166065:105760> EMM GR Gartenbahn - Garden Railway in G-Scale,
and Jordon412s multi-gauge version of Euromodeller's route, <kuid2:289739:100596:2> GR Mehrfachlehre Gartenbahn - Multiple Gauge Garden Railway in G-Scale.

As well, arhian7 has done this route and these sessions:

<kuid:167786:100657> Toys In The Secret Garden at Christmas
<kuid:167786:100702> Toys in the Summer Secret Garden at Christmas
<kuid:167786:100714> Toys in The Winter Secret Garden at Christmas

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks for that I've given them a download and will check them out later.

Finding stuff doesn't seem easy with Trainz.

<kuid:768291:12650> DWW GR 3ft Garden Railway Dreams on the DLS

If you set your Content Manager to Download station, you can sort it by Name, Author or KUID number, and that may help you find things. Click on the label at the top of the column to sort by that column.

Also look for recent garden railroads by Whamm0 <kuid:57443:100946> Wiedy and Broad Leaf Railway, <kuid:57443:100947> Wiedy and Broad Leaf - Default session

and Euromodeller <kuid:166065:105760> EMM GR Gartenbahn - Garden Railway in G-Scale,
and Jordon412s multi-gauge version of Euromodeller's route, <kuid2:289739:100596:2> GR Mehrfachlehre Gartenbahn - Multiple Gauge Garden Railway in G-Scale.

As well, arhian7 has done this route and these sessions:

<kuid:167786:100657> Toys In The Secret Garden at Christmas
<kuid:167786:100702> Toys in the Summer Secret Garden at Christmas
<kuid:167786:100714> Toys in The Winter Secret Garden at Christmas

Enjoy!

I've got another version of Euromodeler Gartenbahn almost done. I'm planning on releasing it on my birthday, the 16th.

Finding stuff doesn't seem easy with Trainz.

Ain't that the truth. Often the best way to find things is to see what's been posted here in the "freeware announcements" section of the forums, rather than trawling the hundreds of thousands of assets available on the DLS.

Back