Why I stick with TS12 despite owning TANE

jonwray

My current specs are as follows:
CPU: Intel i5-3570k
GPU: GTX 950
RAM: 8 GB DDR3
I stick with TS12 because this hardware runs that at a good 40-80 FPS depending on how my computer is feeling on any given day. I’ve tried TANE a few times but any settings that look decent push me down to 10-20 FPS, which is tolerable for screenshots but not fire gameplay. Any advice on what parts I should upgrade to, since I was planning on that sometime this year? All I’ve figured out thus far is I need an AMD CPU, some better GPU, and an upgrade to DDR4, all of which will also mean I’ll need a new motherboard too.

More RAM would help. A GTX 950 is still a reasonable card these days provided it has enough video RAM attached to it. I run a fixed 90Gb swap file on my C: drive with my Trainz computers and that helps too. Despite owning later versions of Trainz I still mostly use TS12 simply because it does what it says on the tin and it works. It has it's foibles, but at least they are known ones and won't ever be 'upgraded' to a brand new set overnight.

I think its called 'Catch 22' or should it be 'Catch Trainz' a new version of Trainz is released and to take advantage of the additions with few exceptions there has been the need for a new version of our computers. However as KotangaGirl so rightly said there is little wrong with TS12 and at least it works even on yesterdays hardware.

As for upgrading likewise its very much 'Catch 22'. A better GPU would improve things but you may need a more powerful PSU to support it. At some point even with a better GPU the motherboard with CPU and RAM will become the bottleneck and before you know it your replacing the whole machine. I think subject to finances and without going overboard I'd put together a list of what I would like say this time next year keeping in mind AMD 4000 CPU and new AMD/Nvidia GPU will also be released by then. A better GPU and if necessary a upgraded PSU will likely work in you current setup and could be moved to a new motherboard etc. in the future, but keeping up with Trainz hardware wise, can become a spiral if you let it. If finances are limited there is always the second hand market, you may never own the latest hardware or run the latest version Trainz with all its bells and whistles but if you are enjoying Trainz does it matter. Peter

I'm only an amateur computer builder but !

I was researching on "Tom's Hardware" because my step Granddaughter asked me to build her a computer like her brothers.

I was considering getting a newer motherboard and CPU combination when I came across a statement in one of the articles discussing the choice of components and it stated that for gaming purposes, a faster CPU is better than extra cores and I decided that even though my combo. is somewhat dated I decided to buy used off EBay and kind of duplicate what I had for myself and her brother plus better vid cards for her and me and this is what I came up with for her:

Magical Unicorn Machine
Specs.

Mobo= Gigabite GA-Z97X-UD5H LGA 1150 Intel Z97
CPU= Intel Core i7-4790K Devils Canyon Quad-Core 4.0GHZ
RAM= KingstonKVR16N 11/8 32GB ( 4X 8GB ) DDR3
VID Card=ASUS GeForce RTX 2060-6 6GB GDDR6 Vid Mem
HD=Samsung V-NAND 850 EVO 1TB SSD
Optical=ASUS Mod DRW-24B3ST DVD read/writer + LG Ultra
Slim Portable USB3 DVD Writer
Wireless= Rosewell RNX-AC1900 Dual Band USB Wi-Fi Adapter
OS= Windows 10 Home, 64bit
Mouse= Kensington Expert Trackball
Power= EVGA Super Nova 750G 80 Plus Gold ( 750 watt )
HD 0= C drive: Windows Operating System

I usually buy a little behind the curve on CPU's because of the enormous prices. Back when I bought my Intel Core i7-4790K Devils Canyon Quad-Core 4.0GHZ and her brothers I bought new ones but hers was from EBay and luckily everything was still good and working.

While I was still thinking of a newer CPU, I noticed that even though there were CPU's out there with many more cores, most of the ones in the price range were only running at something like 3.6 or 3.8 GHZ and the K versions of some of Intel's are over-clockable. Now I have not done any overclocking but I figure I'm running at 4.0GHZ and I have the option to try doing it if I see the need for more speed and it's getting closer to replacement time.

Wild Willy the Wacko

I was researching on "Tom's Hardware" because my step Granddaughter asked me to build her a computer like her brothers.

I was considering getting a newer motherboard and CPU combination when I came across a statement in one of the articles discussing the choice of components and it stated that for gaming purposes, a faster CPU is better than extra cores and I decided that even though my combo. is somewhat dated I decided to buy used off EBay and kind of duplicate what I had for myself and her brother plus better vid cards for her and me and this is what I came up with for her:

Magical Unicorn Machine
Specs.

Mobo= Gigabite GA-Z97X-UD5H LGA 1150 Intel Z97
CPU= Intel Core i7-4790K Devils Canyon Quad-Core 4.0GHZ
RAM= KingstonKVR16N 11/8 32GB ( 4X 8GB ) DDR3
VID Card=ASUS GeForce RTX 2060-6 6GB GDDR6 Vid Mem
HD=Samsung V-NAND 850 EVO 1TB SSD
Optical=ASUS Mod DRW-24B3ST DVD read/writer + LG Ultra
Slim Portable USB3 DVD Writer
Wireless= Rosewell RNX-AC1900 Dual Band USB Wi-Fi Adapter
OS= Windows 10 Home, 64bit
Mouse= Kensington Expert Trackball
Power= EVGA Super Nova 750G 80 Plus Gold ( 750 watt )
HD 0= C drive: Windows Operating System

I usually buy a little behind the curve on CPU's because of the enormous prices. Back when I bought my Intel Core i7-4790K Devils Canyon Quad-Core 4.0GHZ and her brothers I bought new ones but hers was from EBay and luckily everything was still good and working.

While I was still thinking of a newer CPU, I noticed that even though there were CPU's out there with many more cores, most of the ones in the price range were only running at something like 3.6 or 3.8 GHZ and the K versions of some of Intel's are over-clockable. Now I have not done any overclocking but I figure I'm running at 4.0GHZ and I have the option to try doing it if I see the need for more speed and it's getting closer to replacement time.

Wild Willy the Wacko

It depends if the game is designed to make use of more than one core. The operating system can always sit on one core and everything else on another.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php TANE and TS19 do more work on the GPU. On my system running the same content in TS12 and TANE, TANE gives me better frame rates.

You need a score of around 10,000 for TANE, the RTX 2060 has a score of 14,000 so very reasonable. Content manager uses more cores than driver or surveyor as far as I can see. Having said that running perfmon whilst in driver I can see some activity on all six of my cores though most seems to be on the first four.

Cheerio John

My current specs are as follows:
CPU: Intel i5-3570k
GPU: GTX 950
RAM: 8 GB DDR3
I stick with TS12 because this hardware runs that at a good 40-80 FPS depending on how my computer is feeling on any given day. I’ve tried TANE a few times but any settings that look decent push me down to 10-20 FPS, which is tolerable for screenshots but not fire gameplay. Any advice on what parts I should upgrade to, since I was planning on that sometime this year? All I’ve figured out thus far is I need an AMD CPU, some better GPU, and an upgrade to DDR4, all of which will also mean I’ll need a new motherboard too.

Jessica : Your pc is a spaceship, compared to mine ... but it runs TS12 with maximum settings, plus T: ane and TS19 decently. Maybe a little maintenance is needed. If it is a laptop, the graphics card is important .

My pc : Athlon II x2 250 3Ghz (2009)
4 GB Ram ( generic)
EliteGroup Mother A960m-mv (2012)
MSI nVidia GTX750 Ti 2G ddr5

The I5 CPU are much , much better : http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-3570-vs-AMD-Athlon-II-X2-250
Same as the graphics card ...

Last edited:
Back