Rugton. Old fashioned O gauge on the carpet.

Speaking of plans from old magazines I reskinned your 1950s Model Railway News timber goods shed back when I was still using TS2009 and it can be seen in a couple of the screenshots of Rugton station. I'm fairly certain I did mention it to you a while ago now, but I'd like to upload to the DLS if that is alright with you.

That was a real oldie! I made versions - in card - for 00 and N, with a sort of litho technique using an Apple Mac and only monochrome printer to make templates.

Yes, of course you may upload it - I've always been happy for anyone to upload reskins of my models as I firmly believe that this should be a share and share alike hobby. No criticism of payware creators - but to me, amything you get paid for means that it's no longer a hobby.

Ray

I've been doing some testing with two trains running on 'Rugton'. A passenger train making station stops and a slower running goods train running through the station loops. All is working fine with the signals doing their job well of keeping the two trains separated and controlling who goes first at the stations. I don't know if I'm brave enough to have them running in opposite directions as I think that might be a test too far for this simple little layout.
I've added a ceiling to the room. I know anti-ceilingists say to never use them, but I think it makes a room look odd if it has no ceiling.

I'm close to having 'Rugton' ready to upload and that should happen within a couple of days.

nIsXtvk.jpg

oOyt2lH.jpg

FGq6UM0.jpg

bSbYNtv.jpg

Last edited:
I've just now uploaded 'Rugton' to the DLS. 'Rugton' is for TS2019 Build 105096 and contains NO PAYWARE. All assets and dependencies are on the DLS. You'll have to provide your own engines and rolling stock.

Description:

"TS2019 Build 105096 No Payware.
Remember Christmas mornings and a new trainset? Rugton attempts to capture some of these memories. Trackwork is 3 rail tinplate 'O' gauge and the layout is laid directly on the carpet. The setting is very much English and I make no apology for that since all my own childhood trainsets were 'Built in Britain' at Binns Road.
You will need to provide your own engines and rolling stock for 'Rugton'."

This takes me bacl to Christmas 1938! It rally captures the flavour of Hornby tinplate - but mine was clockwork.

Ray

If clockwork tinplate track had been available Ray I certainly would have used that. I didn't have any electric 3 rail tinplate engines until I started building my own using scrap cast off bits I picked up here and there that other collectors didn't want. My childhood Hornby was clockwork too and even now my somewhat diminished collection still has clockwork engines in the majority.

I did think about making some tinplate rolling stock, but I'm still struggling with sleepiness and can't stay awake for longer than four hours so I decided against it.

DWW MR 'Rugton' O gauge Final <KUID2:768291:100465:1>

Has been examined and approved by N3V's Babbage Calculating
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Engine and should be available in 24 hours.[/FONT]

@KotangaGirl,

I'm waiting eagerly for the release of the Rugton RR. Between the 'Trainz and Wagon Works' and Steve Flanders site, I have a wealth of locomotives and rolling stock to choose from. The only problem I have is identifying the passenger cars in your pictures, and, of course, if I can't identify them, I can't find them. They are apparently, some type of clerestory car, but that is where my limited store of information ends. Can you at least identify them for me, and, if possible, suggest a possible source? Thanks for the help.

Bob Morrison

@KotangaGirl,

I'm waiting eagerly for the release of the Rugton RR. Between the 'Trainz and Wagon Works' and Steve Flanders site, I have a wealth of locomotives and rolling stock to choose from. The only problem I have is identifying the passenger cars in your pictures, and, of course, if I can't identify them, I can't find them. They are apparently, some type of clerestory car, but that is where my limited store of information ends. Can you at least identify them for me, and, if possible, suggest a possible source? Thanks for the help.

Bob Morrison

Bob, the 6 wheel coaches are based on an old clerestory coach mesh that I reskinned with textures that I created from photos of Bing 'O' gauge tinplate coaches from the 1920s. I would like to upload the coaches, but I'm going to have to contact the original creator and ask permission before I do that. I have further ideas for representing tinplate coaches, but don't want to make a start on them until I know I have permission to upload them.
If you look on the DLS under KotangaGirl you'll find some GNR coaches I made using textures I created from photos of Marklin 'O' gauge tinplate coaches from the 1920s. Some of my GNR coaches are intended to be more 'realistic' with different textures, but these ones are unashamedly tinplate.

M0VxpJz.jpg

RHOfFsv.jpg

Jk3qT2j.jpg

I am considering making tinplate goods wagons using meshes that I do have permission to use so I haven't done with the 'O' gauge trainset theme just yet. I have also devised a way to represent clockwork engines in Trainz, but it's not exactly straight forward to do and while I could upload a mesh for the keyhole I think most Trainz folk might not be keen on the fiddly business of attaching it to an engine. I doubt very much that any creator of Uk steam engines would give me permission to be let loose on their creations so I can't upload any of my 'clockwork' engines to the DLS.

@KotangaGirl,

Naughty, naughty! You snuck some payware into your Rugton layout, in your region file. Is there really enough traffic to be concerned about? Can I substitute your garden railway region file in instead, if there isn't significant traffic? I was even thinking about trying a 1920's US region file. I mean, at that point in history, there wasn't much difference in cars, no matter what country they came from. I will probably use your garden region file unless you feel that will cause a problem. Anyway, thanks for the layout.

Bob Morrison

Rats, I thought I changed that. My apologies Bob. I have other non cars regions I could have used and the garden region would have been my most likely choice without dreaming up a carpet region just for 'Rugton'
Thank you for letting me know about this problem. I've been more sleepy lately which means that mistakes are likely to creep in unless I'm really careful. I'll sort out an updated version now with the error corrected and get it uploaded to the DLS.

Rugton on a carpet. Is your next route going to be Carpetown on a Rug?

Or perhaps a model of Axminster?

Annie, you might like to know that I have just made and tested a table and chair for use with a Gauge 0 railway on the floor.

Ray

That's very good news Ray, - thank you.

I'm not sure what's next in the way of a tinplate 'O' layout, but I'm thinking about it. If I call a carpet layout 'Axminster' I'll have to make some clockwork LSWR engines to run on it. :D

'Carpeton' would be another possibility, but as I mentioned I haven't made my mind up yet. Perhaps I need to dig around and see what I can find in the way of layouts from old Hornby catalogues or the Meccano Magazine.

Oh, the Meccano Magazine! I remember it well and still have a few cuttings including how to make a fogman's lineside hut - I made one recently using the diagram but can't remember if I uploaded it!

I've just found that I've lost all my T:ANE routes and a lot of installed content including those lovely 6-wheel teak coaches. Don't know what has happened but I'm not the happiest bunny in the world.

Ray

The thing that all of us Trainz folk dread. I really hope it's possible to recover your installed content Ray. I know I would be devastated if anything like that happened to me.

An updated version of 'Rugton' has been approved by the N3V boffins and should be available in 24 hours. DWW MR 'Rugton' O gauge Final <KUID2:768291:100465:2>

This is a fix for me stupidly having the wrong region as a dependency and hopefully all should be fine now.

thankz a lot for your layout, kotangagirl ...
i replaced the region <kuid:768291:12272> with the new <kuid:768291:12659> Region Uk MR Carpet
and in the config of the route i changed the region + entry 61 in the kuid-table ... no missings or errors ... nice job .. nostalgic track ..
merry christmas and stay healthy
grtz
daveric

trs19 105096

kotangagirl%27s-rugton-mrr.jpg

kotangagirl%27s-rugton-mrr.jpg

Last edited:
@KotangaGirl,

I read the message from Zsuda, made the changes he recommended, and voila. I do have a question, though. Do you have a problem with your steam engines (what else) on this layout. As soon as I place a steam engine on the track (usually shortly before one of the stations), I get little flashes of light to the left of the engine (as it turns out, I think it is smoke, but in a strange place). I'm pretty sure it is smoke, because a little while after the engine passes the station, a big cloud of smoke appears, then the engine is through it. Another clue - I don't get smoke where I'm supposed to - like out of the smokestack! I've tried every steam engine I have, and although the pattern changes a little, all my steam engines do it. Just to be sure, I tried my electrics and my diesels. NO smoke. Have you seen anything like this? Any possible suggestions for a fix? Any help will be appreciated.

Bob Morrison

Back