Rugton. Old fashioned O gauge on the carpet.

KotangaGirl

Pre-Grouping Railways Nut
A bit of fun. So this is 'Rugton'. I doubt if anyone would want me to upload it. The coach artwork is based on photos of Bing tinplate coaches from the early 1920's and they turned out better than I expected.

LSkFy9B.jpg

y4sIp5j.jpg

LkjzNri.jpg

ah6V6Vc.jpg

Fascinating. It's amazing how the "Virtual Model Railway" theme is developing. What next? What is left to do? How about a replica LNER A4, five inch gauge, length 75 inches, advertised in Steam Railway at £14,995-00 (plus p & p) - coal fired, live steam - might make a mess of your carpet, though.

Ray

Thanks Ray. This is my TS2019 test track grown up a bit. For such a simple little layout TS2019 surveyor was a pig all the way and frustrated me no end with doing a HAL act - , 'I can't allow you to do that Annie' - on a constant basis. I could reproduce it again in nice friendly TS2012 and add walls and a door with a table and a chair or two for the line to pass under. A Christmas tree could be a possibility too.

I suppose with the right kind of stage dressing a 5in gauge line would be very possible in Trainz. Definitely a cheaper proposition than £14,995-00 for the real thing! And yes it might be an good idea to keep it off the carpet. :hehe:

I may be able to upload the tinplate coaches, but first I'd need to contact the creator of the very old coach models that I used as a basis to make them. Other tinplate coach versions would be very possible if I get the nod to go ahead.

Last edited:
When I was 4 or 5, my parents got a braided rug similar to this one here:

HOPEPPERCORNOVA3_zm.jpg

This rug was my railroad and my brother's race track. The spacing between the braids was perfect for the wheels of our respective vehicles. We would play for hours in the living room push our vehicles around and building cities with blocks to go along with them.

KotangaGirl,
Very nicely done. Of course you put your train on the rug, before any thoughts of a layout table. Mine started out on the rug and usually ran around the base of the Christmas Tree, with fallen pine needles needing to be cleaned off before running. I spent lots of time running those trains under the Christmas tree, and getting cautioned by my parents to stop accidentally knocking off the ornaments on the lower branches with my head. Occasionally the cat joined in to "help" me play with the trains. Your Rugton looks classical.

Then I convinced my parents to let me have the ping pong table for my Christmas layout, and the rug setup was a thing of the past. But, the cat really liked getting on the table and wreaking havoc with my town, smacking the little trees around, and then flopping down on the track to stop the trains and thereby garner the attention he was seeking.

Thanks for posting. It brought back such cool memories.

Heinrich505

When I was 4 or 5, my parents got a braided rug similar to this one here:

HOPEPPERCORNOVA3_zm.jpg

This rug was my railroad and my brother's race track. The spacing between the braids was perfect for the wheels of our respective vehicles. We would play for hours in the living room push our vehicles around and building cities with blocks to go along with them.

I could see at once how that rug could spark a child's imagination John. Does this still mean that I'm a child at heart? - I hope so.

KotangaGirl,
Very nicely done. Of course you put your train on the rug, before any thoughts of a layout table. Mine started out on the rug and usually ran around the base of the Christmas Tree, with fallen pine needles needing to be cleaned off before running. I spent lots of time running those trains under the Christmas tree, and getting cautioned by my parents to stop accidentally knocking off the ornaments on the lower branches with my head. Occasionally the cat joined in to "help" me play with the trains. Your Rugton looks classical.

Then I convinced my parents to let me have the ping pong table for my Christmas layout, and the rug setup was a thing of the past. But, the cat really liked getting on the table and wreaking havoc with my town, smacking the little trees around, and then flopping down on the track to stop the trains and thereby garner the attention he was seeking.

Thanks for posting. It brought back such cool memories.

Heinrich505

Thank you Heinrich. I think I've still got a few childhood memories of my own lurking around inside my head. I had a Hornby clockwork trainset which was always on the floor until my Dad made a board for it so I could lean it against my bedroom wall when it wasn't in use. Much much later when I started to collect old tinplate trains as a grown woman with two teenage children of my own I often had my old clockwork engines down on the floor to everyone's amusement. I had a lot more track than when I was only small so I could give them a really good run.
I still have a small collection of old tinplate trains, but my days of getting down on the floor with them are well over unfortunately.

I could see at once how that rug could spark a child's imagination John. Does this still mean that I'm a child at heart? - I hope so.

You do have that child at heart and that imagination, otherwise, you wouldn't be creating virtual model railroads and great railway empires.

You do have that child at heart and that imagination, otherwise, you wouldn't be creating virtual model railroads and great railway empires.

Thanks very much John. I've always had a vivid imagination. Looking through my old school reports from when I was in primary school my marks were always good, but the teacher's comments over the years follow a constant theme calling me a 'dreamboat' and a 'dreamer'. The world inside my head has always appealed far more to me than the Real World and I think that is what carried me through at those times when life was happening far too much.
Trainz has been a godsend for me since it allows me satisfy my creative urges now that physically I'm unable to do very much.

JCitron,
My family had a rug just like that one, and of course we used it for car races. We had huge Matchbox car races until I got the electric racing car set. Then, the rug racing was always much too slow and faded away.

Heinrich505

When I laid track on carpet, I placed hand cut newspaper, or cardboard, under the track, and vaaccuummed cleaned the entire track, prior to running locos, to prevent rug fibers and dust, from getting into the oiled loco gears
One time I purchased a clockwork engine fairly cheaply and the chap selling it told me, 'It doesn't go, seems to be jammed.' Actually it ran very well, but only after I extracted a yard of brown packing string from where it had wound itself around the gears. Monumental amounts of fluff mashed into grimy black oil is what I usually found after buying an old 'clocker', but a yard of string was definitely a first!

A lot of comments since I last looked!

A 5" gauge line would be nice in Trainz. I've just prepared a table setting out what one Trainz baseboard is the equivalent of in a variety of scales - I'll publish it when I've checked. I haven't yet done 5" y - one would need a lot of boards, though.

Rugs and Christmas - new we need a HUGE Christmas tree.

Ray

Yes a huge Christmas tree would be very nice Ray. Hint hint to all you content creators out there in Trainzland.

More Rugton. I've done some further work on the layout and it's looking more and more like a possibility to upload to the DLS. Pity I started building Rugton in TS2019, but it wouldn't be so difficult to build it again in TS2012.
The 4mm scale furniture is doing the job Ok, but it would be nice to have some O gauge scaled furniture since O gauge would be my preference for making TMR format layouts.

Your size table for Trainz baseboards in the common modelling scales should prove to be a very useful tool Ray.

VjGJJVQ.jpg

sfwhFOk.jpg

F3Z2k4A.jpg

lscsqzb.jpg

... very nice memorable layout, childheartsgirl ... specially the classic track ... lov'it ... keep on rockin' ...
grtz
daveric

The 4mm scale furniture is doing the job Ok, but it would be nice to have some O gauge scaled furniture since O gauge would be my preference for making TMR format layouts.

Point taken - once I've finished tyhe room name signs for Vern.

Your size table for Trainz baseboards in the common modelling scales should prove to be a very useful tool Ray.

Duly noted.

Good to see Clapham Junction station (North Yorkshire, not the big one!) in use. It was based on a 2mm scale drawing from a very old RM.

Ray

Yes I had a copy of that magazine when I was teenager Ray and I built a model of the station in cardboard. It turned out very nicely and I was proud of my effort since all those roofs set at different heights made it a wee bit of a challenge. It remains one of my favourite station buildings and your model in all three versions has appeared on various ones of the layouts I've built.

Speaking of plans from old magazines I reskinned your 1950s Model Railway News timber goods shed back when I was still using TS2009 and it can be seen in a couple of the screenshots of Rugton station. I'm fairly certain I did mention it to you a while ago now, but I'd like to upload to the DLS if that is alright with you.

oeJYQDv.jpg

Point taken - once I've finished tyhe room name signs for Vern.

Thank you. No pressure though and I can assure you that anything you make will be joyfully received.

... very nice memorable layout, childheartsgirl ... specially the classic track ... lov'it ... keep on rockin' ...
grtz
daveric
Thank very much Daveric. I've still got a few ideas in mind yet for vintage 'O' gauge so I can assure you there will be more.

'childheartsgirl' - that really made me smile.

Back