Is Trainz (TRS19) ever going to be stable?

Orpheus2000

What is up with this game? Yesterday I ran a "drive" session for a while, nothing else. Today I loaded it and I find all consists have vanished.

I spend far more time sorting out problems than I do building or driving.

Hence why I avoid it like the plague! I'm sticking with Tane. Just look at all the posts about problems, guess which version stands out by a mile. Each to their own I guess but I'll stay with something that works most of the time.

Best and most stable Trainz by far is TRS19. If you maintain your database by updating, deleting obsoletes and regular rebuilds you too can have a stable install. Of course there is always the possibility that the problem is due to your method of operation, which you didn't mention. The answer probably lies in the way you launch a 'drive' session' and how that was saved. The software works as expected, but the desired results are dependent upon your input.
cheers
Graeme (105096 and 106618+)

Last edited:
me too best ever version 107918!
So the post # 2 is not really contributing to help this user other than.....
Yes every version has its many good things and few bad things to be solved.
Overall I do a lot lot of session testing on 2 of my routes to be uploaded (beta upload done as we speak) I did not encounter that specific problem in #1.
Post #6 is right using Trainz is not just start your computer and drive your loco you need to get things started and warmed up correctly and intermediate EBR or DBR's are helping a lot to keep your dbase "healthy.
I agree launching and driving a session and the way you leave the session has to be done correctly.

Joining the chorus of "Mine is rock-solid and dependable" claimants. (TRS19 Platinum Build 105100).
Suggest those experiencing stability issues check for updated assets (and update them where available); Faulty assets (and fix them) plus any 'Open for edit...' items (Submit or revert before proceeding).
Those experiencing performance issues should troubleshoot their rig to ensure that all components are working correctly and that there aren't any memory or cooling issues and that the rig meets the minimum performance requirements.

As always, our memories tend to be very short and rose tinted. If you can, look back at the posts in these forums about TANE in the first year (or perhaps longer) after its release. Red Hot flames is not quite accurate enough! Bugs, crashes to the desktop, disappearing consists and disappearing baseboards to name just a few. TANE was unstable and was not fit for release - but that is another long story. TANE SP4 is now stable but it took a long road to get there!

TRS19 SP1 and TRS19 Platinum are the most stable versions of Trainz that I can recall owning but I confess that my memory may also be short and rose tinted as well. I still keep TANE on my system purely for nostalgia but almost never use it any more. One day it will join TS12 and all its predecessors in the great byte bucket.

As always, our memories tend to be very short and rose tinted. If you can, look back at the posts in these forums about TANE in the first year (or perhaps longer) after its release. Red Hot flames is not quite accurate enough! Bugs, crashes to the desktop, disappearing consists and disappearing baseboards to name just a few. TANE was unstable and was not fit for release - but that is another long story. TANE SP4 is now stable but it took a long road to get there!

TRS19 SP1 and TRS19 Platinum are the most stable versions of Trainz that I can recall owning but I confess that my memory may also be short and rose tinted as well. I still keep TANE on my system purely for nostalgia but almost never use it any more. One day it will join TS12 and all its predecessors in the great byte bucket.
No rose coloured glasses needed here pware, T:ANE was released bug ridden and short changed expectations. TRS19 on the other hand had the most extensive beta test period of any in the franchise, more testers finding more bugs gave us this stability.:)

TANE was just......TANE....
SP1 & SP2 didn't fix all that much and introduced all whole lit of little problems. SP3 fixed those and added others. SP4 makes TANE pretty smooth now.

TRS19 with SP1, TRS19 Platinum and TRS19 Plus run like a dream for me. It is hands down a winner for merging large routes. The biggest I have attempted came in at 1.5GB (bare route), took awhile for it to do but in the end it worked. Suprisingly didn't hit performance to hard on my system.

Tony & the brew crew have learnt some valuable lessons me thinks.....now things get tested extensively not just by them but by every user just about so any bugs get found and squashed pretty good.

What is up with this game? Yesterday I ran a "drive" session for a while, nothing else. Today I loaded it and I find all consists have vanished.

I spend far more time sorting out problems than I do building or driving.

We'll need a bunch more information to figure out if there is even a bug here.

Are you running the same session? How did you access the session yesterday and today?
When you say vanished. do they appear in the Find list and not in the 3D world, or are they not listed at all?
Do they show as dependencies in the root?
Are the items still installed? (check in Content Manager).

Alikiwi - people with problems post them. So reading about problems gives a sense that "everyone" has these. People without problems are busy enjoying the product.

We are finding the vast majority of issues are specific to a single build and are related to content, not the core Trainz software.

Hence why I avoid it like the plague! I'm sticking with Tane. Just look at all the posts about problems, guess which version stands out by a mile. Each to their own I guess but I'll stay with something that works most of the time.

Hi Alikiwi,

TS2019 Platinum is the way to go for route builders. I have had very few issues with it (those issues I have had relate mainly to problems with TurfFX). There is no way I would go back to TANE.

I went to check out current pricing, and see that TS2019 Platinum is currently marked down.

Edit. I just noticed you already have TS2019 in its pre Platinum version. So maybe not worth the coin just to get Unified Driver/Surveyor (although it is very useful). I still say TS2019 SP1 is a step up from TANE, both in terms of reliability, and its 'look'.

Last edited:
Joining the chorus as well. TRS2019 has quirks like all Trainz versions, but no major problems for me other than self-inflicted ones.

The thing is with a complex software package is no matter how much it's tested there's going to be bugs. The best thing for you to do is to report any perceived bugs, and ask here in the forums if anyone has run into the same thing before.

By the description of your error, to me it sounds like you're opening up the wrong session, or in the case of the UDS interface, saved the driving session, but instead are starting over via the UDS interface. This is a new and quirky thing to work out a workflow or procedure for use, but once figured out it's quite helpful and nifty especially for testing routes while in progress.

Back