Thread: Confused newby seeking simple instructions on using Trainz 2019

Question Confused newby seeking simple instructions on using Trainz 2019

I recently bought Trainz 2019 Platinum, having no past experience of any version of Trainz. I am finding great difficulty in doing basic things like knowing what I can do with the program. Can I only do anything other than the tutorials on driving trains if I find and download other people's work? I have searched the website but can't find step-by-step instructions on using the program.

I am reasonably intelligent, English is my first language, but getting into this program is like wading through waist-deep water. I have been using flight simulators for many decades, so I understand the concept of simulation, but the lack of documentation for Trainz frustrates me greatly, and, having read many forum posts, it seems that I am not an orphan in this matter.

Will someone point me to useful resources for total newbies?

United States of America, Colorado, Colorado Springs

A 2 second web search turned up this:
    Where do I find the manual for TRS19
    Posted by N3V Games (Zec) on 18 December 2018 03:06 PM
    Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 does not include a traditional PDF manual in it. Instead you can access out online wiki based manual by clicking on the 'File' menu on the launcher screen, then click on 'View online documentation'.

Alternatively you can access the TRS19 Help Wiki here.\

You can also access function/feature specific help by clicking on the '?' button on the top toolbar, select the 'Click An Object On Screen You Want Help With' option, and then click on the feature/function you wish to find information on. You can also choose from several other options on this page for help with Trainz.

And, by the way, you are much better off starting with routes and sessions provided by others. You are trying to go from 0 to 100 mph immediately.
    I7-8700K
    1070Ti
    Z370
    PCIe SSD operation ( build)

Welcome to Trainz!
    I recommend running the tutorial sessions. They range from simple start and stop to more sophisticated braking and realistic controls. They even have one for steam. Be aware though that in the latest versions there are some bugs, including tracks broken near a tunnel that can cause derails, and there is one session where the brakes don't release until you use the "D" key to drain the brake pressure as you start out. This tip is not given in the tutorial because it is a bug.
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.

Quarantining Since March 1st In Front Of My PC

Post Deleted
    Last edited by MP242; August 7th, 2020 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSARy View Post
    I recently bought Trainz 2019 Platinum, having no past experience of any version of Trainz. I am finding great difficulty in doing basic things like knowing what I can do with the program. Can I only do anything other than the tutorials on driving trains if I find and download other people's work? I have searched the website but can't find step-by-step instructions on using the program.

I am reasonably intelligent, English is my first language, but getting into this program is like wading through waist-deep water. I have been using flight simulators for many decades, so I understand the concept of simulation, but the lack of documentation for Trainz frustrates me greatly, and, having read many forum posts, it seems that I am not an orphan in this matter.

Will someone point me to useful resources for total newbies?
    its a steep learning curve and the company more or less leaves on to ones own devices apart from the driving tutorials, if you want to get stuck into building, I suggest youtube ,there are some very good tutorials there, ones by a fellow Aussie Colin are really good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsRmMcAcGuc
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Default Thanks for replies

Thanks for the various replies. I will persist with TRS19 for a while, but may abandon it if it gets too frustrating.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by OldSARy View Post
    Thanks for the various replies. I will persist with TRS19 for a while, but may abandon it if it gets too frustrating.
    Welcome to the forums, but don't give up so soon because there's so much to do here and so much to learn at the same time. Unlike a "game", this is more like a hobby such as having a real model railroad except in this case your model railroad can be a whole state or country if you want. There's no limitation, except what your computer can handle physically, to how big your routes can be. In reality, like a big model railroad, a route becomes a forever thing which can be changed and updated all without a mess. I once said to a friend of mine, also a Trainz user, who lives near me - about 9 km from me if that as the crow flies, imagine what it would have been like if we had something like this when we were kids!

Like you we started out as new users. That term newbie is annoying and almost derogatory! You're just a new user. One of the best things you can do is open up an existing routes and look at how things are done. Once you do that, create a blank baseboard, and then experiment. After you've got that, find a route creator you like and use his style as a mentor for your own work. You'll learn a lot about how to do things such as texturing and signaling, and all that other stuff that goes along with route building. There's a big thing to remember here. You can never break anything if you take it apart. If you open up an existing route that you downloaded for editing, you'll be prompted to save a new version should you change something. That new version now is assigned to you and no one else. You can now alter that route however you like, and if you get permission to do so, you can upload that to the Download Station, or as we call it the DLS.

This is in summary exactly what I did nearly 2 decades ago. I started with Trainz TRS2004 in December 2003 and I haven't stopped using the program since. In the end, don't be afraid to ask questions about how to do things. We'll help you with every step of the way.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 106618

I've been back for a few months and consider myself new regardless. Yes this is a steep learning curve but there is tons of information out there. Sure not every asset is going to work because it's outdated etc. But there is so much that works just perfectly in my opinion. Building has been a pleasurable experience.

My computer is down because I went to upgrade my graphics card and screwed up by making a rookie mistake. But being new in this if you can't do something one way there are always other ways and things to learn. To cover a manual on everything this program does and every asset is almost impossible. The Wiki is a good help, but it has it's limitations as well.

If the program knocks me down on the way I thought it should work, I simply find a way and move forward. Tons of potential.

Thanks

Sean