I wish I could play Trainz

ffccnn

I barely have touched TRS19 much less buy anything even a FT ticket. I found so umpleasand and unfriendly moving around the map that I don't expend more than one minute inside the game. It seems that what I paid for the TRS19 was a charitable donation to N3V.
Not to mention the lack of parallel tracks; I used to build parallel tracks using FT -fixed tracks- objects but it is a cumbersome tasks. There are so many train games having an easy way to build rails. Any plan to introduce changes to the UI?

Well I gave it much more than a few minutes, but the frustration of what is IMHO inferior in many respects to Tane, the lose of some features and the many problems made me stay with Tane which is much friendlier to use. As for double track, like most I lay one track and get it in the correct position, then simply lay another one beside it. Haven't bothered trying to make a route in TRS19, and probably never will.

Parallel track still exists and you can still download it if you want from the white pages. The reason why it's been deprecated since TS12, by the way, is due to performance issues. It always performed poorly even back in TRS2004 and it really is no loss that it's been removed. Laying two parallel single tracks can be just as quick.

Surveyor in TRS2019 is the same as it's been since before TRS2004. There as some extra good features such as a better bulk assets tool, but other than that it's the same. If there's an issue with the lighting, go to edit environment and reset the lighting to defaults. It's the same as T:ANE then.

Performance for the most part is better than in T:ANE and it's a lot more stable, at least for me. T:ANE came a long way and TRS2019 is what T:ANE should have been. I'm not sure how much you remember from the early T:ANE days, but it was truly unstable then and it took two service packs before it became a decent product.

You can lay parallel tracks by using a way gauge - there are some on the DLS - look for Auto Way Gauge, JK Way Gauge, and my own Way Gauge UK (made for TRS2004 but I still use them - frequently).

Ray

There are so many train games having an easy way to build rails. Any plan to introduce changes to the UI?

I respectfully have to disagree. While I have not played other train sims much aside from MSTS, I honestly believe that Trainz has one of the best and user friendly world creation tools available. More than just building railways, I've even built a miniature city on my main route. I say miniature, because an real world city is bigger. For example Austin TX, is about 271 square miles (436 square km), where as in Trainz my city is about 16 square miles (25 square km) or about 36 baseboards in a square. Even then the main details (not just roads but buildings) are focused in the middle where the tracks are. I still have yet to finish all the details cuz I am a bit lazy.:hehe: But I do wish Trainz had a better way to place roads and buildings. For clarification, the roads I use in the main town area are actually not roads at all, but considered objects as they are road sections from the Modula City route from TS2010 as I am a bit OCD when it comes to the placements of roads and making them perfectly in size for city blocks, but at the same time getting it done quickly.

One thing I think would improve Trainz would be a Cities Skylines style method of placing roads (and maybe tracks too). Forgive me if this description sounds strange, but basically where you can attach them to "spots" on the baseboard where you don't have to worry about the road becoming uneven in length or curves. But of course this system could also allow the easy placement of sidewalks, traffic lights/signs, etc. as it can be a chore adding all those details to your roadway particularly if you want to build a fairly large town/city. Which is why most of my route is focused on country side, forested areas, mountain areas and the like since those are areas that don't require as much attention to detail as town areas do. You can just plop some trees down randomly and it still looks nice. But at the end of the day, I find Trainz' route creation system very user friendly and a feature I have enjoyed since playing the first edition of Trainz as a kid in 2002.

Last edited:
My difficulty is with moving around the map. In this game there is no easy way to move like you do in Transport Fever (1 and 2). In these games, it is so precise that you could move the map 1 millimeter. In trainz it is impossible. In trainz the way to move is clicking on the map at random points and hope for the best. Sometimes the map ends up spinning. There is no way to control the movements.

My difficulty is with moving around the map. In this game there is no easy way to move like you do in Transport Fever (1 and 2). In these games, it is so precise that you could move the map 1 millimeter. In trainz it is impossible. In trainz the way to move is clicking on the map at random points and hope for the best. Sometimes the map ends up spinning. There is no way to control the movements.

Slow down your mouse speed and compass speed. It's the same as other versions. In TRS2019 the speed is faster due to better graphics management. I ended up slowing up the mouse more than I have in other versions.

You can also hold right click to move around as well. And lowering your compass speed can help.

You don't say if you are talking about doing so whilst playing a session, or creating a session or route. When playing a session, if you hit '4' for the external free view in addition to the above advise, you could also use the arrow keys. You can using the 'hold right mouse button', move as slow as a snail or as fast as a rocket. No game can do better than that.

These are the features I would like to have:
1. Mouse right button to scroll the map Up, Down, Left and Right.
2. Mouse wheel to rotate the map left and right and lift or lower the map.
3. Shift + mouse left button to rotate objects where plotting them.
I did lower the mouse speed to 10 and the movements are still wild. I am a right hand person so to have the mouse and at the same time trying to rotate the map with the keyword is an awful contortionist act.

Until then I won't support this game nor play it.
Thanks for your comments.

So, despite the fact it's easy to move around, and you ignore basic questions, you what the program re-written just to suit you? And this after being in the game for 11 years? Bye! Gees, some people take the cake.... :wave:

So, despite the fact it's easy to move around, and you ignore basic questions, you what the program re-written just to suit you? And this after being in the game for 11 years? Bye! Gees, some people take the cake.... :wave:

My thoughts exactly. The interface hasn't changed much in Surveyor in those years, and outside of adding a few features in TS12 and up, and a new layout in Platinum and up, everything is the same as what it was in December 2003 when I joined the Trainz addiction with TRS2004.

You could try a gaming mouse and program the extra buttons to do the some of the actions you are describing.

I have been using a Logitech G502 gaming mouse for the past year with Trainz. I have programmed the buttons to rotate, move forward or backward, up and down. It has made a major difference in my enjoyment of the program. I have also learned hot keys like 'r for rotate.

Between the two I find the program much more enjoyable to use. Prior to that I have been frustrated with how the UI controls have worked since version 1.

With the addition of the Rail Driver system, I have enjoyed this software far more than I ever had in the past.

FWIW

You could try a gaming mouse and program the extra buttons to do the some of the actions you are describing.

I have been using a Logitech G502 gaming mouse for the past year with Trainz. I have programmed the buttons to rotate, move forward or backward, up and down. It has made a major difference in my enjoyment of the program. I have also learned hot keys like 'r for rotate.

Between the two I find the program much more enjoyable to use. Prior to that I have been frustrated with how the UI controls have worked since version 1.

With the addition of the Rail Driver system, I have enjoyed this software far more than I ever had in the past.

FWIW

That's actually a good idea. The other alternative is a game controller which is supported now with the program.

FWIW

@Volusia: thanks for your comment, a decent comment indeed and very helpful. I am going to try your suggestion.
If the interface hasn't changed in ages it doesn't mean it has been good, always there is room for improvements.

PD The pigs we have to deal with in this forum......

Back