Need basics of blocks and signals for mainline

K4andT1lover

Hello, all.
I have just started modeling a defunct mainline in eastern PA. There are still a few old signals standing along the route, but before I can recreate this route as it was in its operating days, I need to understand blocks and signals, and whatever other things go along with them. (I know how to make operating grade crossings - but maybe not tied to the signaling.)
What is good basic source of information for this? How have you all learned about this topic? Thanks,
Ron

Hi Ron,

Welcome to the addicting part of Trainzing!

Grade crossings come in two flavors: Automatic with fixed angles (not really recommended any longer but still used), and grow your own using some kits. I'll get into this in a bit.

Signals are classified by a type in Trainz.

In Trainz we have:

Absolute
Permissive (advance)
Diverging
Interlocking.

Depending upon who makes them, they may or may not have a designation of some sort. Jointed Rail for example has numbers associated with them. These aren't a standard, but it does make it easier to reference.

For Jointed Rail signals, you will have:

Type 04 - absolute
Type 05 - permissive
Type 06 - diverge (A d designation refers to the advance signal version of these to differentiate from Type 05 single head)
Type 08 - interlocking.

The other types in Jointed Rail were never developed or designated.

N3V has their own type 01 interlocking, type 04 absolute, type 02 diverge, and type 03 advance, type 05 for permissive signals. There are others by rrsignal (Begin with RRS) and he has some Pennsylvania position light signals. His naming convention is a bit odd, but once you figure it out, it's easy.

Like a lot of things including the crossings, these all have to be programmed in the session and not the route. At this time, however, I'm not sure if the custom configuration works with his signals since they are quite old now.

For grade crossings, take a look at ATLS by Boat, or the TRC by Vincentrh. Both require placing individual parts and both have some excellent documentation built into the assets themselves as well as on their respective websites. Of the two systems, the TRC will handle sidings better than the ATLS, due to some other options and how they work.

The learning curve came from a combination of experience, experimenting, and some old tutorials by Chuck Brite. His website has finally expired, sadly, but is still available on the Internet Archive.
https://web.archive.org/web/20190108004404/http://trains.0catch.com/tutorial.html

I highly recommend downloading the PDF files (right-click on the links and save them).

He does say something in here that's incorrect. The laying of the track does not affect the AI drivers. What it does do is affect placing of track objects such as signals so for double-track, you want to lay the track in the direction of travel so you don't have to constantly flip signals and other track-objects around after placing each one.

In my own implementation of signaling, I've used field observation, and Trainzing experience. As much as we like to be prototypical, the AI will not always go along with that and we have to make adjustments. As you gain experience, you will find yourself thinking about how the dumb AI will do something and plan for that with your signaling and track mark placement.

For actual signal placement, I use a couple of the built-in 2000T US Coal consists coupled together. These determine the spacing I use for my permissive signals along my lines, and as in the real life, adjustments need to be made for track speed, consist length, and train frequency. Since I run fewer long freights and a lot more commuter trains at higher speeds, this signal spacing works for me. As I noted, a lot of this comes with experience, but take a look at these old but still pretty much valid tutorials.

John,
While I wasn't the OP, I want to thank you for your post, especially the link to the tutorial. I was trying to find that site, but came up empty. The Wayback machine was just the ticket. Now, I can get the signals right on my route.

Back