How do you make realistic lighting?

The problem I have is I don't know how to make realistic lighting that does not look like the route is being fried by the sun or the sun barely shines. The reason why is I want to make the route look good, how can I make the lighting look more realistic for winter, spring, summer and fall?

Before you make any changes, we recommend resetting the default lighting. Click on or add a green dot then click on reset. You'll get a warning about resetting the default lighting confirm it, and you'll have lighting that looks pretty much like it did in T:ANE.

Once you do this, you can then play with the other dials such as the water, fog, etc. Here's an image from one of my routes I've been working on.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2020-03-09 145126.jpg
    2020-03-09 145126.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 110
rs2007 - For each session in your route you can set - and save - different environmental and lighting conditions according to your whim.
Suggest go to the Environment - Lighting tool in Session Edit... mode and adjust the
Ambient and Direct Light RGB values to soften the shadows by increasing the ambient RGB values and reducing the Direct (sunlight) values to a uniform dark grey. (See my example below for an 8:30am timeslot on a clear, sunny NZ Summer's day in January).
Shadows will become more subtle and realistic and far less harsh. You'll actually be able to see details in the shadow areas underneath your locos and trees.
(The nearly black colour preview panel in the image below is my preference for setting water colours, rendering them more realistic in Ultra mode than most other settings).

env.png

Back