Oversized Name Signs?

Vern

Trainz Maverick
I'm at the point on my Cleethorpes "proto model" where I'm dividing the layout into several different "rooms". I thought it would be nice to put some sort of sign on the walls or baseboard edge to indicate which room you are in. However my DLS "fu" has failed me thus far. Can anyone suggest something suitable that can be re-named?

Not sure what scale you need Vern but the biggest editable signs in my collection are by llj

<kuid:30671:23113> Sign editable 8x2m +8m
<kuid2:30671:23119:1> Sign editable 8x2m +9m
<kuid2:30671:23122:1> Sign editable 8x2m +11m
<kuid2:30671:23114:1> Sign editable 8x2m +10m
<kuid:30671:23115> Sign editable 8x2m +12m
<kuid:30671:23100> Sign editable 20x4m +8m
<kuid2:30671:23101:1> Sign editable 20x4m +10m
<kuid2:30671:23104:1> Sign editable 20x4m +12m

Sizes are the width x height + built-in height elevation.

Search for them by kuid number, because I changed all the usernames to suit my own sense of logic.

Thanks, I'll take a look. Size wise I was thinking something along the lines of a loco nameplate that would be fixed to the wall of the room.

Are you looking for something suitable for a room housing a 1:76 scale, 00 gauge, layout? if so. 2m in Trainz would be 1 inch on the model sign. What size sign in the real world would you want - probably at least 9" high, which would be 18 metres in Trainz.

Ray

Are you looking for something suitable for a room housing a 1:76 scale, 00 gauge, layout? if so. 2m in Trainz would be 1 inch on the model sign. What size sign in the real world would you want - probably at least 9" high, which would be 18 metres in Trainz.

Ray

Would say around 8ft x 1ft which would be 192m x 24m to suit OO/HO gauge.

The renamable signs Dinorius referenced are simply normal 1:1 type and too small for the use I had in mind.

Last edited:
Should be easy to make - what colour background and text, and and what wording? They could not be renameable so there would have to be a unique one for each room, as any name attachment could only be in normal, that is, real size.

Ray

Well white background with black text would be ideal (BR modern era)…

Fiddle Yard Room
Grimsby Town Room
Grimsby Docks Room
New Clee Room
Coast Side Room
Cleethorpes Room

Appreciate the offer, Ray.

May not be for a day or two, Vern, as my son is visiting for the week, the first person I.ve seen nearby since lockdown began! He lives in Gloucestershire, ao visits can't be frequent even in ordinary times - the other is also distant in Yorkshire.

This project aroused my interest.

Ray

No problem Ray, I still have quite a bit of work to do. Primary 3D placement is done, but all the fine detail plus writing a couple of sessions too. The latter need to take into account the single line occupancy from Cleethorpes to Grimsby East Loop is 8 mins for a stopping train, 6 mins for a non stop train so I am going to need to do a pathing graph to make it work.

First one done and tested in TS12 but unable to get a screenshot yet. I've got four on one texture file but I need to make sure the text is crisp enough. Once one is OK, the rest wil be a doodle.

Ray

Grimsby-Town-Room.jpg
[/URL][/IM

Vern - a screenshot showing what I have so far achieved. If you are happy, I will continue with the set of six.

All will be able to be placed flat on the wall, or, as they are double-sided, rotated to project at 90 degrees. As they are specific to your project, I will also include instructions on reskinning for anyone who is unsure of how to proceed, so they will be of use to many 1:76 scale enthusiasts.

I need to know the maximum height that you will need them so that I can adjust the height range.

This was an interesting project and needed a 3MB texture file to achieve lettering of acceptable quality. However, all six fit on one texture, with two spares.

Ray

Last edited:
That is perfect Ray. Not sure what you mean by maximum height, typically they would probably be mounted 1.5 to 2 metres above floor level.

Brilliant.

At the moment I'm working on trying to get a demo session put together, have had to go back to scratch with that as Trainz AI did not want to co-operate with my carefully choreographed sequence and refused to run round a loco hauled train at Cleethorpes!

Once that is done and I can put the room signs up, should not be too far off release.

All six signs have now been approved and should be available "within 24 hours". Please let me know whether any changes are needed, Vern. They can be raised or lowered 200m (Trainz) equivalent to just over 8 feet in 00 scale. They are named "DDD MR Roomsign 1" etc. I will also upload a blank version for reskinning.

Ray

All signs available. No. 1 reads Fiddle Yard Room so may be of more general use. More details to follow and blank signs for reskinning.

Ray

The complete list:

DDD MR Roomsign 1 - Fiddle Yard Room
DDD MR Roomsign 2 - Grimsby Town Room
DDD MR Roomsign 3 - Grimsby Docks Room
DDD MR Roomsign 4 - New Clee Room
DDD MR Roomsign 5 - Coast Side Room
DDD MR Roomsign 6 - Cleethorpes Room

All are identical other than for the wording, black text on white background, black frame, 8' x 1' for 00 scale (Huge in the Trainz world!)

DDD Roomsign Blank v1 is the same with no wording. This can be applied on a cloned copy using and merging a text layer - I used Arial black 48point. The background and frame colours can also be changed and the result published using the reskinner's own KUID - this will be necessary for anyone uploading a route using the sign. DDD Roomsign Blank v2 will be identical but approximately 12' in length. It has been corrected and submitted for approval.

Ray

Last edited:
Back