Ben Dorsey question

kcwright_rm

Cumberland & Eastern RRTC
So, before my great grand father died, he told me some stories and said during WWll he served under someone named Ben Dorsey. i was wandering if anybody knew if he served during WWll and if he served in baltimore.

Ben wasnt old enough, he was in the military, but he was 74 when he died so he would have been a child during the war years .

As I have found during recent researching on Ancestry.co.uk sometimes seemingly unusual names can actually be far from unusual when considering a pool the size of a whole nation. I have found four people with the same name as my great-grandfather and all born within two years of each other living in a town of 30,000 people during 1901. When looking for another relative I have found two people with the same name and similar date of birth in Boston MA during the 1940s. WWII "Ben Dorsey" may have been related to the late Trainz "Ben Dorsey" or they may not. Still, treasure the stories of your late grandfather.

As I have found during recent researching on Ancestry.co.uk sometimes seemingly unusual names can actually be far from unusual when considering a pool the size of a whole nation. I have found four people with the same name as my great-grandfather and all born within two years of each other living in a town of 30,000 people during 1901. When looking for another relative I have found two people with the same name and similar date of birth in Boston MA during the 1940s. WWII "Ben Dorsey" may have been related to the late Trainz "Ben Dorsey" or they may not. Still, treasure the stories of your late grandfather.

My family which are from the British Isles followed the practice of naming children after grandparents for generations so the name Thomas, Simon, William. Elizabeth, Jane and Anne appear very often in my family trees. Must have made for a fun time at family gatherings. Come to think of it, that might explain why as a child I had cousins with names like Big Tom, Little Tom, Tall Liz and Shy Anne.

William

Back