Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The Revamped Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (for T:ANE-SP4)

I agree completely with Graeme, Graham. Wonderful work. The effects on the stone wall seems to make the mortar between the stones pop out.

Bill
    Bill (USN, Retired) Into computers over 58 years - Trainzer since: 2003
    ID: 202442
    T:ANE (SP4) OR TRS2019 (111951)

Graham, I've just now looked in on this project and WOW! The work you're doing is amazing and you're transforming this classic Trainz route.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

Graham

I should have said this before, everything was built with GMax and I think I have most of all the originals tucked away somewhere. If there is anything that the original may help, if so, I will do some digging. Another thing, do you have the Mesh2Max program?

You are doing a marvellous job. On behalf of all the original team members, I thank you

Peter
    I5-6 Core CPU. 1070-Ti video card, 16GB memory

Quote Originally Posted by narrowgauge View Post
    Graham

I should have said this before, everything was built with GMax and I think I have most of all the originals tucked away somewhere. If there is anything that the original may help, if so, I will do some digging. Another thing, do you have the Mesh2Max program?

You are doing a marvellous job. On behalf of all the original team members, I thank you

Peter
    Hi Peter,

Nice of you to call in and keep an eye on the progress

I have GMax installed but I've not really done anything with it, I don't have Mesh2Max, I've never heard of it but it sounds like a useful tool.

I have been using the group's non DLS assets (from the links in an earlier post in this thread) for the route which are giving me less bother than the DLS items during conversion to TRS19.
    I don't need to mask some slopes with a covering one any more which means less splines.

I am well practiced in renovating old Trainz assets and bringing them into TANE and TRS 19 so nothing phases me about doing the conversions.

I am still in awe of you and your team for making this route in the first place, it was a monumental effort, people just have no idea what an achievement it was.

I have been replacing Hill Cart Road starting at Darjeeling and working downwards this week, I have only reached Tung Siding so far. Goodness knows how long it must have taken the team to place the assets there in the first place.

The ropeway is in place as well now.

I'll get some progress images up over the weekend for you all.

Take care,

Graham
    Member of TCWW and Trainz DE.

Currently bringing the DHR into TRS19 one tree at a time!

Graham:

Initially, it took 10 of us three and a half years to do the TRS2004 route. During that time, we added several more content creators and one scribe (John) who kept a journal on what we did and posted it online. I did the original DEM using HOG. Once we had the basic terrain, we matched the map overlay (resizing it until it fit the route) to the hills, twisting it this way and that until it aligned. The first run of track was me as well. I used the 'get height" tool and found all the contour lines, used a single rail spline to mark the heights, then painted under it with a HOG color before removing the rail. This made laying track much easier. For instance, we knew that this station was a x height, and the that station was at y height, we could extrapolate the gradient we needed. Took me around three months to get the entire line done.

Following that effort, we knew we had a problem: how to pass the route around so others could work on it. I think it was Peter who suggested breaking it up into smaller bits and farming them out to members of the group. We called them "SCABS" but I don't remember what the acronym means. Once textured, populated with content, and adjusted, the worker bee passes it back to me and I merged it with the Master DHR. It was truly a group effort.

All the while, Dave kept churning out content and we added it to the mix.

Bill

I was going to show you some screenshots, but I thought you might like a video instead

This trip downwards starts at the Chunbhati Loop and goes around the 180 turn at Selim Hill, then via the first Z switchback and ends near the Rangtong Water tank, the track and road there need to be fixed..

Train control is all done by the game AI!

As you will see there's still a lot of work to do, but at least there is progress being made.

https://youtu.be/2qExbRPqq7k

cheers,

Graham
    Last edited by euromodeller; July 28th, 2021 at 11:10 AM.

Just great, Graham. The transitions from track to in-road track only and back are the most difficult to get right. In some places I added a lot of low bushes and stuff to disguise the junction.

Bill

Hi Bill,

I will find a solution for the transition across the road, it's important to get it right, I just haven't focussed on it yet.
    I am still replacing the track and aligning it up to the road, it's a slow process but I want it to look right.

In the video there is a lot of open space near the tracks, that's because I removed it get a clearer view of the road and track whlist working on it.
    It'll all come together one day 'soon' TM

The track is now just about ready for downloading.
    I changed it to 2ft gauge from 600mm, changed the ballast to match one of my ground textures and then I started playing with the sleeper settings and got this result.....

I have noticed though that because the sleepers are not in perfect alignment as before, the track pins are not perfectly placed in the sleeper. Maybe that adds to the charm of it?
    I am happy to leave it as it is, what do you all think?

cheers,

Graham

Perfect, Graham. It's the little details like this (even if they are difficult to produce) that makes the railroad seem "real." I went ahead and bought TRS2019 (build 111951), so if you need a "sounding board" let me know.

Bill

After a short break away from Trainz, I am back at 'work' again.

Still working on road/rail alignment and track crossings, they are hard work, but I have lots of time and patience to get it right.

Here's a shot from the jungle heading down to Sukna where the road and rail part company...

The shrubs and bushes are too dark, I need to make some with lighter green leaves.

cheers,

Graham.

Amazing, just amazing!
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.

When we first started the project, given the computers we had then, and TRS2004, that scene would have turned the route into a slide show. Well done, Graham!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by HiBaller View Post
    When we first started the project, given the computers we had then, and TRS2004, that scene would have turned the route into a slide show. Well done, Graham!

Bill
    I remember those early slide show days, my PC back then was not good enough to run the route smoothly, but I was fascinated by it, and still am!

It is because of Tree Libraries that I can pack the bushes in around the track, the more you move away from the track, the less dense the vegetation.

I've made some reskins of clam1952's level crossings that match the new side road surfaces....

Not sure if crossing boards are prototypical, but they provide a neat finish.

more to follow 'soon'

Cheers,

Graham

Some of the road crossings are simple patches of gravel, but I do agree those look great.

Bill

Sorry for the break in transmission.
    I reached creator's block with the route and took a short break from it.
    I feel that my mojo is back, so normal service will now resume.

cheers,
    Graham