Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Revamped Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (for T:ANE-SP4)

That's quite a laundry list, Ian. Very thoughtful and we appreciate the effort. Your first three observations are doable, but unlikely. At least by either Peter or myself. The original crew peeled off years ago (our DHR has been around for 16 years) and only he and I are left actively updating the route. Fresh eyes are always welcome. We though about speed trees, but decided against them. In my case, given the computer I was using at the time, they absolutely killed my frame rates. With my new on, it might work. I had not seen any animated streams anywhere. If they are the DLS, could you point them out? As for the two-dimensional people, that would be Dave's (dmdrake) baliwick. He's almost completely removed from Trainz now and has given us blanket permission to alter/upgrade any of his content. None of us, however, have the original meshes for them.

In several spots, I added the details of landslips and earthquake damage. The entire Paglajhora region (Guyabara, through Mahanadi, and to Giddahar) is in constant danger of landslides due to rain. As for the road condition, I agree, but it would be a major undertaking to alter them now. Neither Peter, nor myself, plan on doing any further versions for future builds of Trainz. TANE is as far as it get for me.

The scenarios look interesting, and could possibly be worked on independently of any input from us. All a person would have to do is point the map KUID to the current version of the DHR for it to function. Everything you mentioned could be added to the scenario instead of the route. On one of the videos we used, there was indeed a train/truck collision that needed to be cleared and the track re-gauged for the train to continue.

Pretty much everything hinges on finding one or more individuals willing to devote years of their time to keep the route in shape.

Bill

EDIT: I forgot to mention all the roads would have to be mated with invisible roads in order to animate traffic. Plus, you'd have to add some sort of traffic blockers to make all the grade crossings clear when a train goes by (AND, there are a LOT of grade crossings which was the primary reason we didn't have animated traffic.
    Last edited by HiBaller; July 9th, 2020 at 07:19 PM.
    Name: Bill (USN, Retired) Into computers over 55 years
    User ID: 202442
    Trainzer since: 2003
    Currently using: T:ANE (SP4)

Ian

The roads have always been my particular baby and adding moving traffic was considered. As Bill said, interaction between train and cars would be very difficult to arrange. What would be possible is to animate selected segments and switch them off when the train passes. There are 170+ separate road segments. The track is separate.

If you want to experiment and need to add to the road meshes, I will send you some files to experiment with. You need M.ax to modify them

Bill and I have maintained the DHR for literally years and and I think we have nursed it for long enough. I agree with Bill, wee need someone to take over.

Peter
    I5-6 Core CPU. 1070-Ti video card, 16GB memory

Blog Entries

Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick replies.

I was well informed about your epic journey. I was an avid follower of your journey to India.
    Like you, I'm a senior member at 84 years young. Unfortunately, I'm not a programmer or creator, skills that I'm envious of. Repair work is my forte. I've been working on a utility since 2006 to automate repair of Trainz creators efforts that have either not measured up to the specs initially or have fallen foul of the ever more stringent validation. It's an adjunct to Andi Smith's AssetX that he and PEV developed. I'm using the whole of the DLS assets as my testbed, nearly 2 TB, and this is the fifth time I've done this. Wasn't too much of a problem over fibre, but now frustratingly slower over 4G wireless. Still, a lot better than the 16K modem we started out with all those years ago.
    Apart from congratulating you and letting you know DHR worked at the latest version of TrainzPlus beta, a notable feat in itself, I was tongue in cheek hoping that others would take up the challenge and progressively build on your extraordinary efforts. Hence my suggestions.
    N3V Beta Tester. Trainz Pioneer Council. TrainzDev Team.
    Asset X, PEVTools and TARDIS Beta Tester
    http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/i...AssetX_Scripts

Ian

I'm 91.5 so perhaps I'm a SuperSenior. At that age the problem is 'memory', my desk is littered with notes to remind me what i was working on.

Peter
    I5-6 Core CPU. 1070-Ti video card, 16GB memory

Blog Entries

A venerable age I hope to surpass.

Me too on short term memory.
    N3V Beta Tester. Trainz Pioneer Council. TrainzDev Team.
    Asset X, PEVTools and TARDIS Beta Tester
    http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/i...AssetX_Scripts

United States of America, California, San Jose

I'm a TRS2019 user who is missing an asset: <kuid2:523:1124:3>

Quote Originally Posted by BNSF1995 View Post
    I'm a TRS2019 user who is missing an asset: <kuid2:523:1124:3>
    This one can safely be ignored. I created a local copy of Auran's "Missing Spline" so I could click on it in a route and substitute other content. You could "delete missing assets" but then the route would be saved under your KUID and the sessions wouldn't work. OR, you could do as I did, clone 523:1124:2, change the KUID version to "3" and drag/drop the edited folder back into CM. It would make it a change local to your computer and make the missing asset go away.

Bill
    Name: Bill (USN, Retired) Into computers over 55 years
    User ID: 202442
    Trainzer since: 2003
    Currently using: T:ANE (SP4)

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by narrowgauge View Post
    Ian

I'm 91.5 so perhaps I'm a SuperSenior. At that age the problem is 'memory', my desk is littered with notes to remind me what i was working on.

Peter
    I do something similar. Sometimes late at night, when I'm laying in the bed trying to go to sleep, I'll remember something I need to do the next day, so I'll get up, put a post-it note on my computer screen, because I'm concerned that when I wake up the next day, I won't remember what I had to do that day.
    Owner of Freeman Locomotive Works.