The Revamped Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (for T:ANE-SP4)

Nicely redone, Peter. Could use some "shabbyness" though. Patched spots on wall, mis-matched paint, dirt spatters, etc.

Bill

I totally agree, however the way the mapping works from my memory has lots of repeating bits so weathering things like that end up standing out like a sore thumb.

peter

That's been my experience also, Peter. The only way it could be done is to create "appliques," much like the graffiti decals for buildings and walls. If they were rotatable (+90 through -90) then they could be horizontal or vertical or anywhere in between. I'm thinking stuff like vines, irregular-shaped bare plaster, dirt splotches, faded colors, etc.

Bill

I took a day off updating textures and terrain etc. and took a look at the rolling stock.

An annoying thing that TRS19 does to legacy assets is that it strips out a lot of shine that was in the older versions, not a problem for buildings but for locos the matt finish can hide subtle details.
I've victimised just one loco body and it's main bogey today and using the im editor tool and paint.net I think i've improved the look of this little loco. I've slightly changed some colours too.

DHR-Texture-fix.jpg

I'd appreciate any feed back from anyone :D

Cheers,

Graham

I like it, Graham. In most of the videos I've seen, there is definitely a sheen to the locos, except once they complete their runs, they are rather bedraggled and covered in coal dust. So, this is a happy medium.

These are Peter's babies.

Bill

Graham

At first glance I thought 'what have you done to my baby' and then I realised that it does look better. You have my blessing!

If you have the patience, do the rest. It is pleasing that the DHR is in capable hands. I suggest that you leave one 'dirty' so that it would not look wrong hauling the freight stock. Freight was probably the main reason for the line.

Peter

Thank you all for your comments.

Peter, The original versions will remain untouched so your babies are still there in their original forms.

I will also try some stand-alone specials that do not rely on a mesh library, let's see if I can do it eh!

Cheers,

Graham

Loco B779

I am still working away on the route itself, changing trees, textures etc, but i have completed part one of a loco upgrade.

Loco B779 has now been made as a stand-alone model that does not need a mesh library.
Part one....body texture type changes is completed
Part two... main bogey, WIP, I want to try and make it more realistic, not a quick job because you guys know how many parts there are in each bogey!

Why have I made a stand-alone model?
What it means is that each loco can look different, dirty, clean, museum standard etc.
Texture shades can vary between locos, just look at the images on the web, there are so many shades of blue, plus a green one!
There is even one that looks like it's been painted with Hammerite metalic blue!

So here is the loco B779 with completed body update.

DHR-B779-Stand-Alone.jpg

NOTE.. this model is unsuitable for TANE, (although it is build 3.7) but the originals are still untouched on the DLS for those that use TANE or earlier.

I have also been repainting some speedtrees, but more on that in the future.

Cheers and stay safe,

Graham

The loco looks great, Graham. If nothing else, your work might be an inducement for me to get TS2019. As of now, I only work with TANE SP4.

Bill

End of week report :)

I have got some progress shots of the route for you.

When you plant a million and one trees on slopes, you then have to adjust those trees that are within viewing range to avoid the half-in-half-out trunk effect.
Then when you set up a screenshoot, you find the one that you missed :hehe:

So, I hopefully now am somewhere near getting the 'train in the jungle' look without spoiling the view of the trains by having too many trees near the track.

DHR-20210619-1.jpg

DHR-20210619-2.jpg

DHR-20210619-3.jpg

cheers and stay safe,

Graham

I've never really got in to the original Darjeeling Railway but seeing these shots I think I will be interested!

Good work. Great shots in post #70.

Rob.

There is just one word - LOVELY. says it all. Thank you for all the updates. It is truly a transformation.

Some idle thoughts.

The DHR was originally more a freight railway than a passenger line and the main freight was Tea which previously was hauled down on donkey-back and freight was returned to Darjeeling the same way. The next development was overhead cable which I believe was freight only although I believe that people were sometimes carried the same way with several nasty accidents. On the top section the rail line passes under one of the overhead cable bridges.

The passenger stock were 4-wheel boxes that seemed to be just large enough for six passengers.

There were other human rail transport systems. The most hair-raising one is the gravity trolley with provision for two passengers and a trolley brake man with a foot operated brake, who stood behind the passengers. This ran down-hill from Darjeeling. The trolley would be returned up the hill roped behind an up-hill train, There was also a 4-wheeled petrol driven rail car that ran from Darjeeling to Siliguri, and back in the evening. Both these have been modelled.

Has anyone explored the freight stock? It shows how the line was not just for passengers, it was busy with with freight in both directions, it was literally the life-line for Darjeeling and the tea-gardens.

In retrospect, I wish we had the time to model the rest of the DHR on the plain to Siliguri and the branches along the river, which I think were later re-gauged to metre gauge.

I'll repeat it- 'Thank you, it is a 'transformation'.

Peter

Thanks for your comments and info Bill.

Over the weekend I've been paying attention to roads and tracks.

I've got your unpublished ProTrack upgraded to v4.5. --- Mesh Library and track assets! (see first pic.)
It failed for v4.6 but I am happy to see it work comfortably in the route in v4.8.
I am now trying to get the textures for ballast, walls and slopes updated to ones that suit the lighting for TRS19.

I have also updated the road libraries to v4.6, a lot more work to do there though!

Some shots for you to view...

Protrack..

Sukna-Points.jpg

Sukna Wild Life Sanctuary entrance...

Sukna-Reserve.jpg

Tea garden near Sukna.
(A tea garden is a tea tree plantation)

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

I am really enjoying updating this route:D

Cheers,

Graham

Last edited:
This last week I've been reskinning evey piece of road and track!

I am using the unpublished (for DLS) mesh libraries which is a boon, but there are a lot of configs to alter!

Here is an idea of just how big the task is..

DHR-Roads.jpg

I am very happy with these concrete assets, so no more changes to these now..

DHR-Concrete-assets.jpg

Some good news, I have received the go-ahead from Auran/N3V to reskin their speedtrees and buildings.

There are a lot of trees that look right in shape for the area, but the species and colour are wrong, usually with bark that's too light in colour.

If a tree looks right in shape and colour, then it is right for me!, it's a Railway Simulator not a Botany Simulator :hehe:

Cheers and stay safe

Graham

Back