The Revamped Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (for T:ANE-SP4)

When we first started the project, given the computers we had then, and TRS2004, that scene would have turned the route into a slide show. Well done, Graham!

Bill

When we first started the project, given the computers we had then, and TRS2004, that scene would have turned the route into a slide show. Well done, Graham!

Bill

I remember those early slide show days, my PC back then was not good enough to run the route smoothly, but I was fascinated by it, and still am!

It is because of Tree Libraries that I can pack the bushes in around the track, the more you move away from the track, the less dense the vegetation.

I've made some reskins of clam1952's level crossings that match the new side road surfaces....

level-crossing-1.jpg

Not sure if crossing boards are prototypical, but they provide a neat finish.

more to follow 'soon'

Cheers,

Graham

Sorry for the break in transmission.
I reached creator's block with the route and took a short break from it.
I feel that my mojo is back, so normal service will now resume.

cheers,
Graham

Perfectly understandable, Graham. This is probably the reason I have an even dozen route in semi-completes states.

Bill

Where was I last working?

Progress is being made, but slowly due to having to get road and track alignments in place, plus fixing up the track/road crossings to look acceptable.

One of the problems I had was just where did I last work!

So I devized a really simple method...

Pins.jpg

Now I know exactly where I was working and which direction I need to move in next!
I can search the names in the Find Object dropdown and fly there in a split!

Cheers,

Graham

I did the same, Graham. I had a bunch of pins, all named with important parts of the route. My greatest fear was forgetting to remove one or two of them. I suppose I could call them Easter Eggs.

Bill

A bit of eye candy for you....

I thought I'd give the stream beds a bit of dynamism.
I'm not sure if the water is too bright or if I should grey it down a bit.
What do you think?

(right click and open in a new tab)

DHR-Water.jpg

Cheers,

Graham

I had the same trouble with the stream textures originally. They were awfully bright. On my own version, I reduced the brightness by around 40%. They came off better this way. Might be effective to add in a few bits of rocks in the whitewater as well.

Bill

thanks Bill,

rocks..damn I knew there was something missing but couldn't figure it out!

also the water at top right is too even, it has a straight edge!

I'll get back on to it :)

Talking about textures, Auran/N3V have updated a lot of their textures to PBR without warning, including some of DM Drake's, DHR Water included!
I use a lot of Auran's that prefix with '(TR12)' and it's messed up a lot of my routes including this one.

Cheers,

Graham

I wonder if they asked Dave before they did it. He's given me permission to do anything I needed to upgrade his content for the DHR. I do not, however, have the original sources.

Bill

Water...done, greyed down but I've emphasised the whitecaps on the waves.

Rocks, I'll need to study images and then find suitable ones on the DLS.

DHR-Water-2.jpg

Cheers,

Graham

Take a look at textures with "Colorado Water" or "Rocky Stream Bed", both by dmdrake. I used a few of them. They do have rapids and rocks with whitewater swirling around them. They are directional, so you might have to play with the spinner to lay them down correctly. What I did was find a clear place and click down the texture once. if it was out of alignment, I use Ctrl-Z to remove it and tried again after tweaking the spinner. Once aligned, I moved over to the stream bed and laid it down.

EDIT: Whatever you do, don't use "Steam Mist Effect," as it will not rotate, move, or be deleted in any way other than exiting Surveyor and telling it not to save.

Bill

Last edited:
You can copy and paste another 10x10m baseboard area over it and it goes away.

I believe the problem with this asset and the companion (<kuid:78193:5> steam effect mist, <kuid:78193:6> steam effect mistier) is the size of the mesh included with it.

The bounding box - used to grab it in surveyor - is like 0.077x0.022x0.005 m. I think it just needs a larger visible in Surveyor only mesh so the tools can grab ahold of it.

Bob Pearson

land fill!

I've sorted out the waterfall, mist and rocks and have moved on to adding extra baseboards.
Baseboards were removed in a previous build probably to save computing power, but there was a gaping gap that I just had to fill, between Mahanadi and Agony Point.

Mahanadi-to-Agony-Point.jpg

Mahanadi-Fill-2.jpg

Mihanadi-fill-3.jpg

Mahanadi-fill-4.jpg

I am 'modernising' the Mahanadi town area, the old siding has gone and the newer loop at the station has been installed.
I plan to expand the town up the slope at the bottom right.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@26.8...4!1sa85hgNZSO3kAAARAtEZ9Ww!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The part that I've filled in will get some small hamlets and small tea gardens to add a bit of interest.

I feel that I am nearly ready to start a DHR 2021 thread in the Freeware Announcements forum because during the coming weeks I will be uploading the DHR roads and track to the DLS, but first I need to make images and descriptions for the assets.

cheers,

Graham

Hello from France

very impressive work and a layout eagerly awaited by many friends...

Thanks a lot for all you have soon done in Trainz....

Very friendly, Marc

Graham:

The sections you added were indeed left out due to computer issues. Back with TRS2004, and the computers used, it would have been a slideshow with them there. Plus, view distance was quite a bit shorter back then. I do like that you've retained the razorback ridges by extending them downward through the added portion.

Some of the spots well off the tracks and road were added as a sort of Easter Egg thing. This is especially true as you get higher and higher into the mountains. Little farm plots, cultivated bamboo forests, and tiny single-room huts dot what would usually be a rather drab terrain. Your inclusion of things like that will be welcome.

We also did a bit of struggling over what exact time period we were dealing with. Our conclusion was to not try to stick to a specific era, just give the route the overall "look and feel" of India and West Bengal--lots of people and vehicles.

Bill

Last edited:
Back