New Layout Project. Possibly 'O' gauge.

Yes I think I know the one you mean Jimmy. What I am after is a much larger lever frame that could be placed on a control panel like this one on a real world model railway layout.

wpf6150bb5_0f.jpg

I've been doing some testing with two trains running on 'Rugton'. A passenger train making station stops and a slower running goods train running through the station loops. All is working fine with the signals doing their job well of keeping the two trains separated and controlling who goes first at the stations. I don't know if I'm brave enough to have them running in opposite directions as I think that might be a test too far for this simple little layout.
I've added a ceiling to the room. I know anti-ceilingists say to never use them, but I think it makes a room look odd if it has no ceiling.

I'm close to having 'Rugton' ready to upload and that should happen within a couple of days.

nIsXtvk.jpg

oOyt2lH.jpg

FGq6UM0.jpg

bSbYNtv.jpg

In a sense Ray that's why I chose them. They did remind me of the older kind of printed card kits and they look very nice on 'Rugton'.

Oh darn it! I've just realised that I posted the 'Rugton' pictures in the wrong thread. I've been struggling a lot with sleepiness just lately.

Don't sweat it Kotanga and yes I see what you mean about the levers. That would be quite cool to see. Is there no "larger than life" controllers you could maybe employ? Or is this the clockwork layout you're doing?

The levers would be for 'Lynborough' Jimmy.

Back in the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s it was common for 'O' gauge Uk layouts to use smaller versions of prototype signal box levers to operate points and signals mechanically rather than electrically. Greatly keen I hand filed some scrap coarse scale rail to make my own signal box style levers to work the points and signals on a layout I built when I was 18. They worked surprisingly well and added a completely different dimension to operating the layout. My attempt was fairly crude, but in later years I had an ex-railwayman friend who made absolutely exquisite hand made levers with full interlocking for his own layout.

Before WW2 Bassett-Lowke was selling this kind of lever frame for 'O' gauge. For a short time during the 1930's Hornby (Binns Road) sold a similar kind of lever set to fit inside a specially designed 'O' gauge signal box with a lift up roof.

leverframe1b.jpg

Last edited:
Annie, have you looked at my Model Rail Control Panel Demo <KUID:37096:101825> where I show how to use N3V's switch levers as a model railway point control panel?

No I haven't John, but it sounds very much like I should. Thank you for your timely post as I was starting to feel a little glum.

As I have the Trainz CC Art Source disks if you are interested in my method I could produce a version of the lever in a different size for you.

A larger lever of a similar size to those that I posted in that layout picture earlier would be really excellent John. Thank you.

wpf6150bb5_0f.jpg

'Lynborough' now has a faux lift-out section beside the station. I think rather than trying to put the trackplan on the control panel I'll make a signal box type diagram to go on the wall.

e2kMSaq.jpg

Anyone want to make some block instruments?

HM13Sz7.jpg

Last edited:
Annie can you give me an indication of how many times bigger than the original switch lever you want it?

In real world terms the model levers used on 'O' gauge railways were between 4 and 5 inches tall so if a Trainz lever could be made about four to five times the size it would be perfect John.

I tried loading 'Lynborough' into TMR2017 and it does not look so good and there were problems with frozen un-editable splines with Euromodeller's ballast splines where they had been laid over digholes as well. Build 4.4 speed trees are not equivalent substitutes for Build 3.7 speed trees and it's changed the whole look of the layout for the worse. I've actually deleted 'Lynborough' in TMR2017 due to it being so much of a disappointment.
I'll edit the description in the config file to say 'TS2012 ONLY' and if anyone does load the layout into a later version it will be over to them to fix it and not me.

At some stage I'll do a proper conversion to TMR2017, but not at the moment while I'm having a lot of problems with sleepiness.

It seems to me that TMR causes a lot of problems. I'm glad I avoided it. Have you tried it in T:ANE and 2019?

I hope you soon feel better.

Off to do some layout scenery now while I wait for comments.

Ray

No I haven't tried 'Lynborough' in TANE or TS2019 yet Ray. I want to have a look at doing some work on one of the tunnels first before I test the layout out in the later versions.

Back