New Layout Project. Possibly 'O' gauge.

Birfield station and village is now mostly done with mainly the detailing around the cottages left to do..

ntjFiXy.jpg

That's coming along nicely!

The backdrop looks a lot like the Berkshire Mountains found out in western Massachusetts, or about 150 miles due west of where I live.

That's coming along nicely!

The backdrop looks a lot like the Berkshire Mountains found out in western Massachusetts, or about 150 miles due west of where I live.

Thanks very much John. I guessed it was an American landscape, only I'm having it pretend it's somewhere in Wales.

Annie, am I right in thinking you have altered the platforms? I have tried to with my latest effort, but the MS Platform spline will not delete.

I should have said that I'm having a go at altering the original to an N gauge simulation - Lyndale and Birchfield. To that end, yesterday I uploaded a table and chair of appropriate size - they take up a lot of room as in N a baseboard is about 15' square.

Ray

MS platforms are the odd ones out in Trainz Ray because they are designated as 'Track' and have to be deleted with the track tools menu open. I changed them for Andi Smith's pre-war platforms which are one of the few Uk platforms that don't have the WW2 blackout white stripe.

I'll be interested to see your 'N' version of the Lynborough & Birfield. I know I've modded and changed the original a lot, but there's more than a few of the old features remaining. There was something about the original that hooked me and drew me in and set my creative juices working.

I've added a 'secret room' as well which contains a large fiddle yard and is accessed by a tunnel through the wall. 'Lynborough' can be successfully operated with or without the fiddle yard as anybody chooses.

I'm pleased that you've uploaded your N gauge furniture too since it will give Trainz folk considering building a TMR layout more options to choose from.

lZ8yEoe.jpg

Last edited:
Work continues on 'Lynborough' with mostly detailing work left to do. The only problem with doing a rural landscape is putting in all the field gates, - and then there's all the cottages that need a front gate too as well as detailing their yards and gardens. I'm not going too overboard with it though, - just enough to give an impression that people actually live there.

In between I'm track testing and checking that necessary operational traffic movements are possible. It looks like I'm playing trains and I am really, but it's the best way to find out if I've built in any bugs.

Oodw761.jpg

MS platforms are the odd ones out in Trainz Ray because they are designated as 'Track'

Well, that is a surprise because when I first used them in TRS2004, I'm sure they were in the scenery splines tab. I can't check, unfortunately, but at least with that info I can try to substitute with my own platforms.

I'm beginning to wonder how much of my original layout is left! My N version is suffering a complete remake - probably easier to start from scratch, but I wanted to have a go.

Why N? well, in 00 each Trainz 10m square is 2.5 inches. In N, I call it 5 inches - so twice the width for scenery - and still able (theoretically) to reach derailments.

Ray

Most of your landscape shaping is still the same Ray. And the track layout at Birfield is about 80% the same as your original. The level crossing on the single line curve is still there, though it is an older gated crossing now. Lynborough is the most changed area and then of course there is the missing bit in the middle where I removed the landscape to put in the floor and walkway. Yes I suppose I have changed it a bit, but I still took inspiration from your old layout and I will be mentioning that fact in the layout description.

Here's a picture of your new 'N' gauge chair. A wee bit big for 'Lynborough', but it really does bring home the way that my large layout now suddenly looks a lot smaller.

exhcQiQ.jpg

Broad Gauge

A side development from 'Lynborough' will be converting it to a Broad Gauge layout as an alternate version. Very little will need to be done with the track layout since much of 'Lynborough' is already laid to a wider track spacing than the standard Uk 3.5 spacing. Platforms will need to be moved back a little, but not much, but otherwise it will be fine as it is. 'Lynborough' is already set in the pre-WW1 period with no cars and (static) horse traffic only so hardly nothing at all needs to be done around scenic detailing.

I will need to use some assets from Steve Flanders website though and no doubt when I come to writing the layout description I will need to write that in block letters for those who will moan about not being able to find dependencies. I have Steve's permission to do whatever I want with his Broad Gauge models so who knows where this might lead.
Ultimately though the Broad Gauge version will be going to TS2019 (there will be a TS2012 version too) since any Broad Gauge engines I'll be commissioning to join the B&ER 4-4-0ST that's freeware on the Darlington Works website will be for TS2019.

0djA5IH.jpg

FWMBtS3.jpg

lhEgIln.jpg

WmXund5.jpg

Possibly John. I would like to use his dual gauge track kit on a TS2019 version, but with it not being easy to assemble and there still being problems with setting up signals I don't think it would be a good idea to use it on a layout that's going to the DLS. I have a test Broad Gauge layout based on the Minehead Branch in TS2019 and I had a few problems with using Steve's procedural track on that so at this stage I'm still in two minds about it.

Yes we are still looking for a solution to the dual gauge signalling. At the moment I am awaiting a reply from Pierre Guy as to whether he has had a chance to look at it and been able to solve the problem.
As regards track laying I find using Steve's SF GWR MG guide fairly generously makes it a fairly easy job.

much of 'Lynborough' is already laid to a wider track spacing than the standard Uk 3.5 spacing

Another surprise - maybe the original was before I made my Way Gauges and used them extensively - and still do. I must check!

Ray

Yes we are still looking for a solution to the dual gauge signalling. At the moment I am awaiting a reply from Pierre Guy as to whether he has had a chance to look at it and been able to solve the problem.
As regards track laying I find using Steve's SF GWR MG guide fairly generously makes it a fairly easy job.

I will have another look at it John and do some more testing on the Minehead branch which is where I do all my TS2019 Broad Gauge experiments. Not at the moment though since I'm struggling a lot with sleepiness. I am a keen enthusiast for the Broad Gauge, but haven't really had enough wits in my head just lately to press on with my BG projects. A bit sad really after spending money on commissioning the B&ER saddle tanks.

Another surprise - maybe the original was before I made my Way Gauges and used them extensively - and still do. I must check!

Ray

When I was laying out the double track line on 'Lynborough' I did have a stray thought in my head that I might try it as a Broad Gauge line, but even if I didn't ex-Broad Gauge lines had a wider track spacing after conversion to standard gauge so either way I had an excuse for the wider spacing.

Getting down to the final detailing and checking over now. Not very much left to do at all.

Lynborough. The turntable will accept pre-WW1 4-4-0's.

gPYY0Iu.jpg

Birfield. The turntable here is just big enough to fit a Dean Goods and all of my 1860's 0-6-0 tender engines with ease.

col8xum.jpg

The other side of the layout with the Evans family farm in view.

Yxvjlit.jpg

Last edited:
After a little fault fixing I'm finding that there's nothing left to do on 'Lynborough'........ except the track diagrams and control panels. My brain is telling me, 'Not today Annie', - so I'll leave it for now and come back to it. What I would like for 'Lynborough' is some sets of lever frames like this......

4vXXdtc.jpg

It's an freeware STL file for 3D printing which is why it has supports attached to it, but it might as well be a clay tablet covered in Babylonian cuneiform for all the good it does me.

There is a lever setup on the DLS if that helps Kotanga. I have used it in some rather bare signal boxes I've got on my current WIP. After work I shall get you a KUID if that helps?

Back