New Layout Project. Possibly 'O' gauge.

I think it would be good to see your French Metro layout updated.

I'm not so sure! There were/are three French layouts: a one-board effort similar to the UK one that you've adapted; a larger three-station affair with stations completed and most of the intermediate scenery; and the one I made to test my efforts at producing something like the classic Sprague-Thomson rolling stack of the Paris Metro which I'd always intended to model since using the Metro in 1952, towards the end of their life (which would probably have come sooner if the war had not happened!) The latter was almost entirely sub-surface just to test the rolling stock, stations, signalling etc. with no surface scenery whatsoever and utterly boring other than watching another train approaching in tunnel on the other track. And my approach to creating tunnels was somewhat eccentric and experimental. However there is at least one preserved line in France on which this ancient rolling stock still runs, so maybe ...

Ray

Broad Gauge Developments

I started out with attempting to improve the 'lift out' viaduct across the room entrance and ended up converting a clone of 'Lynborough' to Broad Gauge. This is purely a test layout to see what works and what doesn't, but a version of it may eventually be uploaded to the place we must not mention.

Somethings like signalling was just so easy to set up and replacing the turntables for a Broad Gauge one was absolutely plain sailing, but much time was spent in adjusting the bay platform at Lynborough and adjusting platform clearances at both Lynborough and Birfield.

1QSIiHL.jpg

IOuxEnQ.jpg

G4guuFj.jpg

Df8G6Sa.jpg

SWUwS65.jpg

Thanks Ray. I finally figured out how to make tafweb's Bridge Steel Arch 2t <kuid2:1942:32009:2> use Broad Gauge track instead of the now ancient '1 track wood' track It's an amazing model but being from build 1.3 the textures are all tiny and low resolution. I'm going to have a shot at seeing if I can improve them. If I can I'll do the same with the standard gauge version of 'Lynborough' With it being such a feature of the layout I'd like it to look a bit better.

Broad Gauge track in place on the bridge.

While the Broad Gauge version of 'Lynborough' is fully functional at present it still needs work. The spacing of the track through the stations is half a metre too close so fixing that will mean not only realigning the track, but having to make alterations to the stations as well. So don't hold your breath waiting for the Broad Gauge version, because it might be a while.

As to the standard gauge version of 'Lynborough' once I have its own bridge sorted out it should be done and dusted.

SmiySWj.jpg

I've been pressing ahead with the Broad Gauge version of 'Lynborough'. The standard gauge version still needs me to frown at it some more, before I consider it complete and ready to upload.
The signalling is working well. In fact setting up the Brunel disc and bar signals was a lot easier than setting up the signals on the standard gauge version. I had two trains circulating without them bumping into each other which was very pleasing and certainly proved that the signals worked as they should.

mGdQRRh.jpg

jehRflI.jpg

1eITwz0.jpg

Beautiful Ann. But i'm afraid we are going to have to install fans and roof vents when those locos start huffing! :hehe:

Ha ha, true enough Forester. Steve Flanders Broad Gauge engines must burn old oily socks for fuel. I usually edit the smoke files, but I haven't done these ones yet.

I'm getting down to the final details now and then I'll upload the Broad Gauge version. Engines and rolling stock will have to be downloaded from Steve Flander's website http://www.jatws.org/ing4trainz/gwr-broad.htm so for that reason I won't be uploading a session for the layout. The GWR covered footbridge will need to come from Steve's website as well http://www.jatws.org/ing4trainz/gwr-buildings.htm since there's nothing like it on the DLS. I'll put a note in the description, - not that anybody will read it, - but at least I would have tried.

Placing people is fun, but it takes a while to do. I decided against using interactive platforms since modern people are just going to look so wrong in the 1860s.

YFbP1pR.jpg

YiMeHYI.jpg

f40ciPb.jpg

z9teOaL.jpg

Lynborough standard gauge.

Great detail work!

Thanks very much Forester. I've moved back over to the post-1900 standard gauge version of Lynborough to carry on with its final detail work. I've completed updating Terry Franks old steel arch bridge, having already done a Broad Gauge version which turned out well. With the bridge being a feature of the layout it badly needed the ancient track and low resolution bridge deck surface upgrading to something better. I've fixed some other odd texture bits on it as well.

nyXi1fU.jpg

NBcIker.jpg

I've made a basic session which places a useful sample of GWR rolling stock and engines on the layout. All are on the DLS which limited my choices a bit, but the alternative would have been anyone downloading the layout having to go and find dependent assets on third party websites which would have led to complaints about missing dependencies.

Some last minute testing turned up some dips in the track I hadn't noticed before and as always they were a pain to fix, but they're done now. Hopefully it won't be too long now before I upload 'Lynborough', but being a fussy thing like I am I want to make sure it's as good as I can get it before doing that.

Lynborough Broad Gauge has now been uploaded.

Yes finally at last the Broad Gauge version of 'Lynborough' has been uploaded. The standard gauge version will follow soon (hopefully).

YOU WILL NEED TO DOWNLOAD THE BUILDABLE GWR FOOTBRIDGE FROM STEVE FLANDERS WEBSITE. http://www.jatws.org/ing4trainz/gwr-buildings.htm

While you are at Steve's website you can also download all the engines and rolling stock you will need to operate the layout. There's no session for this version of 'Lynborough' since there's not an especially great range of Broad Gauge engines and rolling stock on the DLS and if I made session that used models from third party sites there would be no end of complaining about it.

'Lynborough' has been built for TS2012 3.7. If you try the layout in a higher version of Trainz and things don't work and/or the scenery goes all odd then you can't say I didn't warn you. I will be looking at doing a version for either TANE SP3 or TS2019, but perhaps not for a month or so since I have some other projects to finish first.

DWW MR O gauge 'Lynborough' Broad Gauge-FINAL <KUID:768291:12786> has been approved and should be available in 24 hours.

Lynborough.

XrNgyIm.jpg

cz9n7UF.jpg

Birfield.

X8NqWuo.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good Annie. I have downloaded it but have yet to try it. However I cannot locate one item; <kuid2:185550:28065:1> by fred24. I cannot find it on the DLS nor have I got it on any of my versions of Trainz from 2010 onwards

Looks good Annie. I have downloaded it but have yet to try it. However I cannot locate one item; <kuid2:185550:28065:1> by fred24. I cannot find it on the DLS nor have I got it on any of my versions of Trainz from 2010 onwards

That's one of those assets I seem to have had forever John so I just assumed that I originally got it from the DLS. On my TS2012 install it's called 'shed wooden', but here on a French site it's called a 'tobacco dryer' (Google translation) <kuid:185550:28065> https://fred24.pagesperso-orange.fr/pages/batiments.html#3

Trainz Kuid Index doesn't show a KUID2 version unless it's inside a pack for a route and not individually listed. What a nuisance, - I checked everything, but overlooked that darn wooden shed. If the earlier version of the shed on the French site doesn't work I'll find a different shed that is on the DLS and do a KUID2 update of the layout.

sechoir.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent John, - so it is the updated version on the French site. I've edited the link into bold text so hopefully anyone else looking for that dependency will see it.

Hi! I am missing one other asset by BobSanders: <kuid:217096:800013> Based on my research I am guessing it is a Victorian person, so may be in payware somewhere. I managed to find and download a 1+GB file of Bob Sanders Dependencies at JATWS.org, but it was not in it. LOL! At least I now have a LOT of BobSanders assets!

Hi! I am missing one other asset by BobSanders: <kuid:217096:800013> Based on my research I am guessing it is a Victorian person, so may be in payware somewhere. I managed to find and download a 1+GB file of Bob Sanders Dependencies at JATWS.org, but it was not in it. LOL! At least I now have a LOT of BobSanders assets!

<kuid:217096:800013> People - Thin Controller. Yet another asset I thought was on the DLS :(
Unfortunately only available in a dependency pack from a Thomas website.

QKNkxPN.jpg

It's looking like I need to do a KUID2 update with 'Lynborough' since I don't like any of my layouts having dependency problems.

Annie can I give you a tip. In the past what I have done is make a CDP of a route and it's dependencies so that I don't loose them. Then I deleted all the dependencies and see what reloaded from the DLS. I then knew what I had used that were not on the DLS and could check them out.

Back