New Layout Project. Possibly 'O' gauge.

The tunnel at Lynborough station is now fixed. I don't really enjoy working with tunnels and the way most of them are useless if they aren't laid on grid lines. Some are just plain bad too when it comes to digholes and leave gaping holes that have to be somehow disguised. But anyway it's done now and hopefully shouldn't cause anymore issues.
John (teddytoot) has very kindly made an oversized point lever for control panels which I am testing out on 'Lynborough'. With my presently slowed down brain progress is happening very gradually, but so far I'm happy with what I'm seeing. No pictures as yet as everything is still WIP.

Ym1ryB6.jpg

I've used that tunnel a few times - one of the best we have available, if a bit oversize (though that makes it useful for European stuff too). Shame it doesn't have a single track version.

Useful tunnel - what is it's Kuid (or name) please, Annie? And the crossing ith side gate.

Ray

<kuid2:523:19721248:4> Tunnel Double Track - KSC . As Vern says it's a really good tunnel. Very good for use on Broad Gauge and ex-Broad Gauge lines since the usual kind of Uk double track tunnels are far too small for Broad Gauge engines.

The level crossing is one of your own Ray dressed up with Picket_Gate_White <kuid:117948:1166> and Station_Fence_2 <kuid:61119:37104>

Your occupational crossings and level crossings are very useful Ray, - especially where an interactive crossing isn't wanted. The only issue I've found with them is that the wooden road board section won't fit on a garden railway track base since they're too long, but it's not that big a deal since there are ways that problem can be overcome.

How to overtax my poor sleepy brain. I've finally got the control panel at Lynborough up and working after more than a few trials and a lot of errors. The levers are the ones John (teddytoot) made for me and they are set up to use his system of remote point operation. I decided to only connect in the points that would have been under the control of a signalman and the ones with ground levers remain under manual control. I tend to do shunting movements from the cab or close to the engine so manual levers are fine by me, others might disagree, but they don't like it they can tax their own brains and add them in too. For me though I'm happy and since I primarily build my layouts to suit myself even if I'm going to upload them later that's all that counts really.

eQK8utz.jpg

The levers and points are interfaced by mizi's Junction Controller v2 <kuid:122381:10005> which allows one junction to control another one. The levers on the control panel are attached to a small junction formed with invisible track which enables them to interface with the Junction Controller. I have 3 levers controlling and interlocking 3 crossovers, but I wouldn't know what might be possible beyond that. I'm a complete beginner at using this method and it was John (teddytoot) who figured this out and told me about it. He has a demo layout made for TANE where he has 3 different examples of using remote switching, but the components used aren't TANE specific which is why I can use them in TS2012.

Edit: John's demo layout is Model Rail Control Panel Demo <KUID:37096:101825>

Last edited:
Yes your post did send the gears in my own brain working Graham, only I wanted railway type levers to operate the points instead of an electrical switch. When John (teddytoot) said he could make some functional oversized levers it all took off from there. John is also going to make some static scenery levers as well in the standard Uk signal box lever code colours which should prove to be very useful as well.

I realised that I'd placed one of the crossovers on the Lynborough diagram as a facing crossover which is an awful mistake for pre-grouping modeller to make. That particular crossover is a trailing crossover as it should be so my error wasn't as grave as all that, but all the same I made myself watch blue era BR diesel videos on Youtube for half an hour as a penance to teach me not to do it again.

The diagram is now fixed and I've also expanded it to include the factory sidings which I'd left off the first time around. In case anybody is wondering the diagram was made using a stonewall spline that had capping stones that were perfect for representing a track diagram, Stone Wall 05 <kuid:133671:50016>. I put the diagram in its own layer to prevent it getting messed up while I'm working on the layout.

Birfield now has its own control panel and track diagram almost done, only I decided to leave setting up the levers controlling the points for the next time I'm working on the layout. I'm having a better day today and I'm not so sleepy, but I don't want to push my luck.

Your occupational crossings and level crossings are very useful Ray, - especially where an interactive crossing isn't wanted. The only issue I've found with them is that the wooden road board section won't fit on a garden railway track base since they're too long, but it's not that big a deal since there are ways that problem can be overcome.

Problem noted, Annie. I can think of several solutions:

1) a new version with a shorter board approach to use the garden railway base.
2) a pair of gates, complete with posts, with no board crossing leaving the user to provide one of choice and wide enough to add the prototypical side gate when used other than as an occupation crossing.
3) a single gate, complete with posts, to be arranged as the user prefers again with added approach of user's choice. Could also be used as a yard or factory siding entrance (non-working).

I think solution 3) would be most useful. I'll dig out the original meshes and have a go sometime.

By the way, have you ever thought that until I make some 0 scale assets, the 00 table might be used as a coffee table in 0?

Ray

I have altered one occupation crossing so that it should just fir on a track base - not yet tested, though and it means a very short approach slope.

Ray

I think the short approach will be fine Ray. I'm sure some country crossings of this type had a bit of a bump. If nothing else it would make the flash Harrys from the city slow down when going over the crossing.

I think solution 3) would be most useful. I'll dig out the original meshes and have a go sometime.

Yes that would be useful. This time around I kept yard detailing and background buildings/scenery to a minimum, but a placeable single gate would be handy when I get a bit more adventurous. Being able to set up a crossing to suit a location would be a lot easier too.

By the way, have you ever thought that until I make some 0 scale assets, the 00 table might be used as a coffee table in 0?

I had wondered about lowering the chairs and table a bit to make them look a little more 'O' scale like.

Last edited:
Agreed but I find it easier to use Junction Link for each junction.

I have crossovers interlocked to a single lever which seems to be working well, but I don't think I would want to do any more than a pair of points as I think that would be a bit too complicated to be practical.

Work is still slowly proceeding on 'Lynborough'. I did some further testing this morning and made some small adjustments. The last thing I want to do is upload a layout that has problems.

Idkqn8i.jpg

Thanks very much Forester.

I got so fed up with trying to find early GWR wagons for 'Lynborough' I've asked Cameron Scott if he would make me some accurate pre-1904 wagons. Everything on the DLS is from a later period or else afflicted with Arial fonts disease or only is a basic representation - or all three at once! I plan on asking Cameron about some 1880's Broad Gauge wagons as well, but I'll see how things go with the standard gauge ones first.

Back