Trying to decide on TRS19

bmheron

So I have a laptop I got that runs TANE just fine for me. No complaints. Are the system requirements for TRS19 much more than TANE? Is the gaming experience overall that much better? I won't buy a new machine right now but if I could take advantage of TRS19 with the same one I'd try it.

Ps I dug up the specs of my current laptop

Dell 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop (6th Gen Intel Quad-Core i5-6300HQ Processor up to 3.2GHz, 8GB DDR3, 256GB SSD, Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M, Windows 10)

You should see similar performance, somethings are a tiny bit more efficient so you might get another half frame per second.

Cheerio John

Ps I dug up the specs of my current laptop

Dell 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop (6th Gen Intel Quad-Core i5-6300HQ Processor up to 3.2GHz, 8GB DDR3, 256GB SSD, Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M, Windows 10)

I have the same laptop with that 960M video card and a 500 GB SSD. It does run TRS19 about the same as TANE, but there is some choppiness and poor frame rates in Driver, and in Surveyor its really stresses while editing routes. Especially editing ground heights.

About 3 months ago I upgraded to an Alienware laptop with a RTX1070 video card, and an extreme difference. Everything runs smooth as silk with all the sliders maxed out.

So will it run, yes, but you may not like the performance

Run Middleton for laptops on it. That will run. It does depend on the content you want to run.

Cheerio John

You don't download routes by googling them! What you should do is open CM (content manager) and select the download station. It's there in plain sight, "Middleton for Laptops". Took me 2 seconds. :)

What is Middleton for laptops? Looked on Google and did not find what it was.

I picked up a refurbished i5 Dell laptop with integrated graphics series 4000 which means it had directx 11 which is needed for TANE to run. The GPU is way under the recommended minimum for TANE but knowing a fair bit about hardware etc I decided to see if I could build a layout that would run on the Dell laptop. I started with the least demanding track floating around then added things very slowly and watched the frame rates. Speedtrees just killed everything so it isn't big on scenery. Keeping the poly count down for the loco meant no animated con rods so it had to be a steam tram or a diesel. I went with a steam tram. Evertrainz had done some work with high detailed bogies and split these off from the tops and the performance wasn't too bad. They'd never run on the laptop though they were too demanding but what would work was a single undercarriage with different tops. Trainz is very forgiving of repeats of assets. So I took a standard bogey that I'd gone over with a fine tooth comb to cut out as many polys as I could and that was the 17_5 bogey. Every wagon, van, tanker or carriage on the layout uses the same repeating bogey. The tops I'd already created to fit the detailed bogies and there is a surprisingly large amount of different wagon available. It has Private Owner wagons that discharge coal, stone, and sand.

An i5 has plenty of processing power for passengers so I created a small simple carriage again using the same bogey that carries visible passengers. The brakevans use a script by Andrea so the guard moves from front to back and side to side.

Then how does one add interest? I used an andi06 tram stop and made up a passenger set of sheep and set up a cattle wagon to carry visible sheep, then repeated the process for cattle. As far as I know it is the only layout that loads visible sheep and cattle in Trainz. The station layouts are from RMWeb and are small stations that are designed to allow plenty of shunting potential. Chris (Nawlins) worked with me and laid down the track, he's much better at it than I am and I was suprised when he managed to add signals etc and still keep reasonable frame rates. There is an overhead when you have scenery objects so each station is one big scenery object including the terraced housing, the station and the cattle yards and coal bins etc.

Chris also set up a session with fly shunting, it's definitely fun to watch. It's on the DLS kuid2:117948:100490:1 will bring you down the layout and session. https://www.jatws.org/johnw/john.html has the wagons and vans etc if you don't have a First class ticket.

TS19 gives an error by the way so you need TANE to run it, there is a TS12 version floating around since all the assets are version 3.5.

Cheerio John

Judge your success by trying many different routes. Even different locations in the same route will give different results. For example, you might have problems where there is a large yard with lot's of trackage. Yards really slowed things down on my "non-gaming" machines. But you should be able to find plenty of routes that are resonable.

Back