Can someone please explain to me why trains with DPU's keep derailing in portals?

janathan

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mra5bCOMLe4)
Can someone please tell me why DPU's (Distributive Power Units) are destined to derail when being produced by a portal?

(For clarity, a DPU is one or more locomotives placed in the middle or rear of a train to assist with power, control, braking, etc.)

In Trainz 2019 and T:ANE, everytime a DPU is placed in between freight cars or in the rear of a train, and the DPU and the leading locomotives have a different engine spec, one of them either pulls too hard or pushes too hard and tears the whole train apart, resulting in a derailment. In general, I've been able to dodge this problem by making sure the DPU's are the same locomotive as the one leading the train.

However, when I tell a portal to produce a train with a DPU, even if it has the same engine spec as the leading one, it still derails in the most absolutely absurd way possible.

As soon as the DPU is added, all the couplers are pulled away from each other so that there are like maybe three or more meters between every coupler in every car. Then the physics spaz out and one of the freight cars decouples and derails (usually one that's either coupled directly to the DPU or one that's near it) In some cases, multiple cars near the DPU derail and sometimes, even the DPU derails.

The physics continue to spaz out and the derailment causes the train to slingshot forward and backward in a silly fashion several times until the physics calm down.

The driver is disabled for the front locomotives carrying most of the train. They continue at 17mph until they reach another portal or train. (I haven't tested to see if they would drive off of a cliff yet.) This slow speed brings the line to a screeching halt.

The DPU's in the end of the train get the driver and follow along at an equally slow speed.

This has happened every time I ask the portal to produce a train with a DPU.

The consist in the example video above had 3 CR SD45's, 50 or more Bethgon (hopper cars), and 3 more CR SD45's. Without fail, it'll derail a random car between the front locomotives and the DPU's.

This happens with passenger trains, too if the cab car has an engine.

This also happens on high-speed trains with a locomotive on both ends. It always happens to the TGV Duplex without fail. With the AV01, it keeps derailing a random car in the middle of the train. The Shinkansen usually works, but sometimes at random, it'll derail the last locomotive.

So why does the portal have such a problem with producing trains with locomotives between two cars? Why does it have such a problem with locomotives on the end of a train? Why does it always derail two to four random cars in the consist whenever it tries to produce a locomotive in the middle or rear of a train?:confused:

Last edited:
Check the following warning from the Trainz Wiki:-

In TRS19 the portals will not work correctly if the Trainz Settings - Dev Tab - Compatibility mode: from the TRS19 Launcher is set to Maximize performance. This setting should be left at Maximize compatibility

I rarely use portals but there are a couple of thing I would try:-

1. Is this problem only occurring with the one portal? What happens when you use a different portal asset?
2. What is that strange track you are using? Does changing the track make a difference?

Sorry I haven't had a chance to respond to this in a while. I've been busy testing various portals. I noticed a new problem with these portals. Sometimes when producing a train, it instantly crashes to desktop and this happens at random with all portals both built-in and on the DLS. I've also noticed that one of my test consists that have a locomotive in the front, around 100 train cars and a locomotive in the rear instantly derails when the final locomotive is produced on some portals, but it works with other ones. On the contrary, another test consist that has three locomotives in the front and about 50 cars and three locomotives in the back derails as soon as the first DPU is produced. This happens with all portals I've tested. Additionally, MU trains (EMU / DMU) sometimes work, but some of them always derail (the TGV Duplex is a good example. It always derails no matter which portal I've tried and has been doing this since Trainz 2012 if not prior to that). Most EMU's that derail do so after the first locomotive or the last power car.

Sorry I haven't had a chance to respond to this in a while. I've been busy testing various portals. I noticed a new problem with these portals. Sometimes when producing a train, it instantly crashes to desktop and this happens at random with all portals both built-in and on the DLS. I've also noticed that one of my test consists that have a locomotive in the front, around 100 train cars and a locomotive in the rear instantly derails when the final locomotive is produced on some portals, but it works with other ones. On the contrary, another test consist that has three locomotives in the front and about 50 cars and three locomotives in the back derails as soon as the first DPU is produced. This happens with all portals I've tested. Additionally, MU trains (EMU / DMU) sometimes work, but some of them always derail (the TGV Duplex is a good example. It always derails no matter which portal I've tried and has been doing this since Trainz 2012 if not prior to that). Most EMU's that derail do so after the first locomotive or the last power car.

Hard to follow due to usage of abbrebiations I'm not aware of. So what does MU, EMU DMU, mean? The only one I know in this paragraph is TGV the French Highspeed train. Is there a Trainz-dictionary where I can look them up?

Sorry about, but I'm an occasional Trainz user and therefore not familiar with that expressions/abbreviations.

Thanks in advance for clarifying this.

Last edited:
Janathan,

Have you updated all your scripted assets such as Quick Portal Manager, Quick Drive, ATLS, Interlocking Tower scripts, and TRC?

There were some issues where these scripts caused wonky things to happen with portals. The Quick Drive especially caused CTDs on me and so did the EIT scripts until they were updated.

I have had some derailments using DPUs, but I can't pinpoint down to exactly the source of the derailment. In one case I thought it was the freight cars the end units were coupled too, fiddled around and replaced some freight cars, but that didn't do anything. Then another cause eluded to the loco direction, but that proved bogus as well.

The only solution I found to this problem is to add more "weight" to the empty cars. TRS2019 for some reason doesn't like long trains with mid or rear helpers. I think its the physics issue related to coupler breakage.

The only solution I found to this problem is to add more "weight" to the empty cars. TRS2019 for some reason doesn't like long trains with mid or rear helpers. I think its the physics issue related to coupler breakage.

Good point. I found the small "beer" tank cars to be an issue on one of my consists.

With "iPortal's" a train likes a full unobstructed track, the entire length of the exiting train, until the last car exits the iPortal, I am unsure if "Portals" are picky about this also ?

QA have been unable to reproduce this issue, so it could come down to specific vehicles or combinations.

Please provide full details through our online Trainz Bug Report form.

A test map which exhibits the behaviour would also be very handy.

Back