Which Cars Are Set Up for Commodities

gwhess

I am running Trainz Plus with a Gold Membership and am trying to understand how commodities work. If I set a railcar up for a specific commodity in a session, does that car then remain set up for that commodity in all sessions, or does it need to be set up for each session? If I do Ctrl + right click on the car, will it show which commodity it is set for?

Thank you,

Gary

Yes and no. If you create a new session and place that car type, it will have to be set up. If you start a new session based on the old session (eg save as), then it will retain its setup.

Perhaps this is why I am having such a terrible experience adding a series of coal mines.

I checked the LOAD spec for the cars I always used in the past and the COAL asset is listed as "obsolete".

I also used a "coal train" prebuilt from the Train Mode C tab. I have no idea if each of the several cars in this consist have been vetted for using an up-to-date coal asset. So some may load or not. While progress is welcome, the associated regression dims its luster.

Also, many cars, that are hoppers in the database, are below the required 3.5 version limit. But despite dating back to 2014, with a build of 1.3, they are not designated as Obsolete? The problems these can cause may not be outright failures but something more subtle.

Last edited:
Yes and no. If you create a new session and place that car type, it will have to be set up. If you start a new session based on the old session (eg save as), then it will retain its setup.
Thank you. Makes sense.

Gary

As a continuation of my original question, how does one tell if a car is set up for a particular commodity? I tried ctrl+right click but it doesn't list commodities. The car I checked was in a coal session in Coal Country, so thought it would show coal.

Gary

gwhess - But wait, there's more!
When you are setting up which commodities will be carried by a particular wagon, use the F7 key in Surveyor, Session Edit mode. Choose (select) the wagon/ hopper that you wish to load.
If it is empty and does not show any particular commodity/ product, then choose the Big Plus (+) sign to choose the desired product (virtual 'load'). Make sure it is appropriate for the type of vehicle. (Liquid/ vs solid, etc.)
Asset creators will list the available (appropriate) commodity load-types in the 'Allowed products' section of the Config.txt for their vehicles, so you can check the KUIDs for Load0, 1, 2, 3, etc. allowed there. (Content Manager, Select the wagon, Choose Open... Edit config.txt to view the file). Sometimes, the loading operation and the fully laden vehicle will be animated/ show the product to be carried/ loaded, but not always. Many products/ 'loads' are invisible.

Last edited:
gwhess - But wait, there's more!
When you are setting up which commodities will be carried by a particular wagon, use the F7 key in Surveyor, Session Edit mode. Choose (select) the wagon/ hopper that you wish to load.
If it is empty and does not show any particular commodity/ product, then choose the Big Plus (+) sign to choose the desired product (virtual 'load'). Make sure it is appropriate for the type of vehicle. (Liquid/ vs solid, etc.)
Asset creators will list the available (appropriate) commodity load-types in the 'Allowed products' section of the Config.txt for their vehicles, so you can check the KUIDs for Load0, 1, 2, 3, etc. allowed there. (Content Manager, Select the wagon, Choose Open... Edit config.txt to view the file). Sometimes, the loading operation and the fully laden vehicle will be animated/ show the product to be carried/ loaded, but not always. Many products/ 'loads' are invisible.

So complicated! Thanks for your help.

On the topic of this I've been meaning to ask a question. There are some products I have that disappear after about 15 seconds. I'll try and explain as best I can. Say Vinyl Monomer I want to assign to a tank with that plus. For about 15 seconds I can access all of them. The wheel is spinning but then after the spinning stops SOME products vanish from the list and don't come back. Assuming everything is alphabetical order which it seems. Does TRS19 have a bug that anyone else is aware of for this?

Thanks

Sean

On the topic of this I've been meaning to ask a question. There are some products I have that disappear after about 15 seconds. I'll try and explain as best I can. Say Vinyl Monomer I want to assign to a tank with that plus. For about 15 seconds I can access all of them. The wheel is spinning but then after the spinning stops SOME products vanish from the list and don't come back. Assuming everything is alphabetical order which it seems. Does TRS19 have a bug that anyone else is aware of for this?

Thanks

Sean

It's not a bug in TRS2019 because I've seen that occur in TS12 and T:ANE as well. Check that all your commodities are up-to-date.

More and more, I am using Content Manager to research any industries, match the products to cars, etc. And then set up picklists to access in Surveyor; it is less painful than searching for appropriate cars in Surveyor. For instance, using SAP_BI3 industries, I have a couple of lists of DES freightcars. For Coal, I have lists of different size cars that actually carry coal.

Always remember that there are industries that may be problematic, and freightcars that have no way to load anything. I still enjoy getting the interactive things to work and take advantage of the good stuff.

regards,

Blabsky

is there an easy way to modify industry-less rolling stock to load products (including visible products)? I tried adding some attachment points to a 89ft TOFC flatcar and it came out faulty and when I fixed it, the car refused to commit

is there an easy way to modify industry-less rolling stock to load products (including visible products)? I tried adding some attachment points to a 89ft TOFC flatcar and it came out faulty and when I fixed it, the car refused to commit

For wagons without any attachment points, you can add in a commodities queue. I recommend checking the config.txt file and using that part from another and then adding that to your own clone. Remember to add those new Kuids to your kuid-table, otherwise, they won't show up.

What kind of errors are you getting on your TOFC flatcars?

says that it's something like an invalid tag for category "product queues"
and when I retyped it to not have huge spaces it refused to commit because it thought it had an incorrect kuid even though I checked everything and it had the correct kuid

says that it's something like an invalid tag for category "product queues"
and when I retyped it to not have huge spaces it refused to commit because it thought it had an incorrect kuid even though I checked everything and it had the correct kuid

Check for a typo, or better yet remove the queue you manually put in, and replace it with a clone from a known working one, You can then modify the pasted queue to suit your needs. Just remember to verify the kuid-table to ensure you have everything lined up.

Back