Bittlesey and Priory Gardens

ray_whiley

Two layouts in one model railway room:

Bittlesey is a very small rural terminus best suited to tank engines and no more than two coaches - or rather more six wheelers, if preferred. It was probably the end of a "Colonel Stephens" style light railway.

It has an engine shed and a small goods yard. Rather more space than the station is taken up by the fiddle yard/hidden sidings/storage roads where a variety of trains can be assembled. This space is needed because of the lack of "the great hand from the sky" which can be used on a "real" model railway layout. The fiddle yard is open to view with the entry from the scenic area behind a large, derelict factory. It has a rural background.

On the other side of the room is Priory Gardens, no doubt once a green and pleasant area but now suburban and rather run-down. The station has two platorms and the usual engine shed and goods facilities

Screenshots to follow.

Ray

Last edited:
Greetings Ray! Saw it on the downloads and thought I'd give it a shot. Missing one of your assets: <kuid2:275817:37337:1> . It doesn't Google anywhere. Checked your site link but was not sure where to look.
Thanks!

Greetings Forester 1

This is the skyscene spline running along the back and ends of the layout - or rather, it is on my version but missing from the DLS.. It was reported earlier as not having been uploaded on another layout and as I had problems uploading it, I made a new but identical version, <KUID2:275817:1> DDD Skyscene spline v4, which is on the DLS. I'm sorry that I forgot to make the change on this layout too - an 89-year-old's senior moment, I'm afraid. I'll make the change and upload a corrected version.

Best wishes.

Ray

All done - corrected version in the "waiting to be processed" area. It was just one section of the backscene where I had used the wrong spline.

Last edited:
There is a problem. I tried to update it with a new (published) skyscene spline by altering the KUId to <KUID2:275817:100225;2> but this was rejected and I was told to use the obsolete table. I have never done this before, so I have sought help through TC&WW on how to do it.

My apologies to all. I believe the problem is only with the skyscene at the end of the station platform, extreme right. The layout is useable without that skyscene - you just get a concrete block wall! In the meantime, I will hang my head in shame and delete the offending asset from my content list. I will post when the update is available - meanwhile, as we say in Norfolk, "Hold you hard, Bor".

Ray

I am assuming that the last number isn't preceded by a semi-colon as you typed into your post? Odd that it would not allow you to make that update.

Probably a typing error - my fingers are not as good as they used to be - but I'll check - many thanks .for the suggestion.

Ray

Quick DIY fix to the problem:

1. Delete missing assets.
2. Unlock backscene layer.
3. Using "shift", add a length of skyscene v4 to the right-hand end. (This is already used along the back.)

Ray

Hi Ray. I got V2, and it had the same missing asset as expected. On a chance I tried substituting <kuid2:275817:37329:1> DDD MR Skyscene spline for that asset in the config.txt file. What I ended up with was:

One side of the room, the side opposite the table and chairs has sky on the back and both ends.
The other side of the room, with the table and chairs, only has sky on the right end, not the back or the left end

I am guessing what I tried did not work, so I will go back and use your suggestion. It was the same in both v and v2.

I loaded Bittlesey and Priory Gardens V2 into TS2019 and all was well. A nice contrast in layouts with Bittlesey being a little rural light railway terminus and Priory Gardens being a terminus in a big town. I've just received in the post a book on the Mid-Suffolk Light Railway so who knows what I might build in the way of a TMR layout as a result.

I attempted to load B&PG into TMR2017 and got an angry message box; 'You do not have access to this content, write out 100 times I must not do this again'.
(Well perhaps I exaggerated a little about the message box.)

I have TANE SP3 so it was just blank baseboards when I tried B&GP in that. I don't see any point in upgrading to SP4 since I have TS2019 and I don't fancy getting some layouts which I worked hard on getting to work in TANE broken for free by an 'update'.

One side of the room, the side opposite the table and chairs has sky on the back and both ends.
The other side of the room, with the table and chairs, only has sky on the right end, not the back or the left end

This is very odd, Forester1 - I checked the dependencies list carefully before uploading. I will investigate and get back to you.

KotangaGirl - Thank you, Annie, for your report. I will check what versions of T:ANE I have. Maybe I should have kept with TS12!

Ray

The whole question of compatibility is getting quite silly in versions of Trainz higher than TS2012. I think it's worse with TS2019 with all the variations that are now on offer and the issue of Payware and built-ins. I've stuck to working in TS2012 because I know that what I build will work in Tane and TS2019 99.9% of the time. I am starting to think about doing TMR2017 versions too which again should work in TANE and TS2019, but I won't go any higher in the version numbers than that.

I have checked and there were still a couple of instances of the skyscene I had forgotten to replace. I am working on correcting this and will have to create a new version.

My T:ANE is SP4, build 105766.

Ray

I think/hope the problem is solved. I have just uploaded the route as v3, having failed to eliminate the white lines which indicated a missing asset - so the solution was to delete the background layer and remake it. It was not possible to create a new version as the white lines still showed. At least it showed the value of using layers.

Ray

14.27, upload approved an "available within 24 hours".

Last edited:
Back