Searching for TMR layouts on the DLS

KotangaGirl

Pre-Grouping Railways Nut
When I search for TMR layouts on the DLS with the TMR box being the only one ticked I end up with dozens of TANE layouts as well most of which are not TMR format layouts. Needless to say this is very annoying and means that I have to search through a lot of unwanted layouts to find the TMR ones. It's almost as bad as having to dig through dozens of mobile rubbish layouts with sideways thumbnails of blank baseboards when searching for non TMR format layouts.
So whose bright idea was that to throw TMR in with TANE? TANE layouts are no good in TMR anyway due to them being full of TANE only built-in content. Yes I'm venting and having a moan. I don't expect that anybody at N3V will do anything about it so I suppose I should just shut up and put up with it.

Personally I feel TMR was just a marketing thing to try to get extra sales and it is not regarded as a separate item in the sense that you want.

Yes I get that impression too John. I really like the format, but I don't want to start adding in stuff from TANE and TS2019 and ending up with a broken mess.

I was wondering if the "modellers" amongst us agreed some sort of naming convention, preferably a prefix, maybe that would help. In the case of my current project the working title is "PM1 - Cleethorpes to Grimsby as I though "PM" would be useful to identify projects following the Proto Model idea. Of course discussing is one thing, getting everyone who builds in the model discipline to adhere to it, is another matter.

Very early on, when I consulted itareus on using his overscale artefacts to simulate a 1:76 scale model railway layout, we agreed between ourselves that immediately after our own name indicator (for itareus, it was "C+" and for me "DDD") we would use the code "MR" and I have followed this ever since. For the garden railway models that I have made to 1:22 scale, I have used "GR" after the name indicator and for any 0 gauge, I would use something else, probably *MR0". I'll have to check what I did for N scale simulations.

At the time, there didn't seem to be much interest here in the UK and a lot was made in the States using the word "huge". There may have been others, but as I don't model anything other than UK*, I didn't take much notice.

* Not strictly true - I did have a go at an American short line and made a three station model layout set in France, using much content from French modellers. Plus my very early Paris Metro experiments.

Ray

Last edited:
I've been adding 'MR' into my layout titles to stand for 'Model Railway'. As you say though Vern it would be good if we could all agree on a form of identification to distinguish TMR layouts from the normal kind of Trainz layouts.

Well, this came in while i was typing the above. So thaty's a start - at least three modellers in agreement! But I should say thay I never acquired TMR - didn't see the point as I was quite happy using TS12 and now T:ANE.

Ray

Our posts crossed Ray. Where I've been making use of itareus's meshes for reskinning I've stuck to his C+ MR convention, but I did something else for your ones Ray using DWW MR instead (DWW = Dreamwalker Wagon Works). I think your 'GR' identifier for Garden Railways is good, but I'm not sure what might be the best way to identify scale with the 'MR' ones.

Probably "MRG" would have been better - but it's loo late with several already available and thoughts turning to increasing the number!

Ray

I think as long as we all stick to 'GR' for large scale model railways everyone will soon get the idea of where to look.

I think there'll be even less interest than in 1:76 scale! But one could cover several baseboards whereas in 1:76, one baseboard the equivalent of 31 feet square would seem to me to be the upper limit. (My view only - but it's the size of useable area in many a loft.)

Ray

For my own personal use I use AAM - xxx for my model railway routes and AAR - xxx for ordinary routes that I have made or modified as that makes sure they are at the top of the list.

And of course we all have our individual preferences for being able to find our own creations easily. I don't wish to be a pessimist, but I really can't see any agreement - except to make sure that we write informative descriptions, unlike some that appear on the DLS - or those with no description at all.

Ray

I think the prefix system you guys put in place originally if great. What we need is a sticky thread with all your prefixes in them, so new folks can find your stuff.

As for a route prefix, I dunno we could all collaborate on a prefix or given name like Model Railroadz. It does feel a bit like the beginning of a renaissance in this sub. At the end of the day, whatever you guys decide on i will be happy to follow suit.

What we need is a sticky thread with all your prefixes in them, so new folks can find your stuff.

An excellent idea, Bob.

As for a route prefix, I dunno we could all collaborate on a prefix or given name like Model Railroadz.

I would suggest a small amendment - "Model Railroadz" would show immediately that the content was from the USA, etc. whilst "Model Railwayz" would indicate a UK setting. I'm not trying to be pedantic - but there are those who are intersted in only one region.

Ray

Last edited:
The only problem I can see with using either 'Model Railroadz' or 'Model Railwayz' in a layout's name is that it could make it too long so it would get cropped when listed on the DLS. Other than that I think it's a good idea.

That's really why I settled on 'MR' in the title as well. My layout titles/names tend to be long enough as it is.

Back