What do Flanger signs mean? Hi Res Images

For reference I am talking about ones on CN and CP, I don't know exactly what they do. I know that they are 100 feet before a RR Crossing, interlock or bridge, but sometimes the signs look different as they either have two signs or have arrows pointing on the left or right, I also heard it had something to do with snowplows, I really don't know what they do, does anyone know what flangers do and what the different variations mean. I took a screenshot as RRmods made CN/CP signs that have flangers, so people can get an idea what I am talking about
What-do-these-signs-mean%3F.jpg

It is for snow cleaning to know on which side of the machine they have to pull up the shovel.

... but I would like to know more details as when which symbol is still unclear to me.

On the Boston and Maine, they used a simple yellow flag. They tell the crew operating the Jordan Spreader to lift up the blades to prevent damaging lineside signals, crossing gates, and bridges, or perhaps destroying the Jordan Spreader as well in the process.

attachment.php

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 56
A flanger is a piece of maintenance-of-way equipment designed with an adjustable blade that fits between the rails to scoop snow out. It is raisable so as to clear crossings, switch points and guard rails and so on. It has a crew. The signs tell the crew when to raise the blade.

Often a snow plow will be equipped with flanger equipment, sometimes the flanger is stand-alone.

A Jordan spreader is a patented MoW rig equipped with flangers but the main feature is its hydraulically-operated set of "elephant ears" that push snow aside.

:B~)

In your case this is something exclusive to snow belts and not seen in Southern Ontario. You'll see them further north on the Bala Sub. I believe the flangers that run through often have a detailed track schematic. I've seen the rail grinders as night in Niagara for example and these signs are something I don't see until I get up to cottage country. I remember the first time I seen them was my trips to Sparrow Lake along the Bala. I don't think Toronto has them, but you may see them on Newmarket, Bala, etc. Don't believe I've seen it on York or Kingston to my knowledge. Not sure about SW Ontario but I doubt it.

Thanks

Sean

A flanger is a piece of maintenance-of-way equipment designed with an adjustable blade that fits between the rails to scoop snow out. It is raisable so as to clear crossings, switch points and guard rails and so on. It has a crew. The signs tell the crew when to raise the blade.

Often a snow plow will be equipped with flanger equipment, sometimes the flanger is stand-alone.

A Jordan spreader is a patented MoW rig equipped with flangers but the main feature is its hydraulically-operated set of "elephant ears" that push snow aside.

:B~)

Pan Am brings out the monster Jordan spreaders for the job now. The old B&M used to have old wedge plows that were pushed by older locomotives assigned to the job and used to have separate flangers. All of these are really cool to see when they're out and about.

Back