"Requested operation requires elevation" - what does it mean?

When I try to open any of my saved .max files by right-click and choosing "Open with Autodesk 3DS Max 2009", I get an error message saying "The requested operation requires elevation". What does that mean?

In practical terms, I can always open such files by first launching Max and then going through the File/Open menu. So I'm not worried that the files are corrupt or can't be opened at all, it's just the inconvenience factor. And I do wonder why .max files are the only ones that can't be opened by a Right-click/Open with... sequence.

I agree with Pitkin. But does the same thing happen if Max is already open and you try the same action?

It's possible that you have already granted extra permissions to Max but invoking it via a different action may not see those permissions.

I agree with Pitkin. But does the same thing happen if Max is already open and you try the same action?

Same thing happens. Even if I manually navigate the Open With... to the 3DSMax.exe file, it balks with the same error. I have given it all the permissions I know how to;

utYQh3l.jpg

Not to worry, it was just curiosity on my part.

I read that this problem was solved as follows:

Opening regedit and then deleting the entry .max under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
After restarting the pc, open the *.max file with 3dsMax.

Back