Recommended Graphics card for latest Trainz/TANE for this comptr.

Red_Rattler

Since 09 May 2003
I need urgent help please, as I need to take the following computer in to get a new graphics card - again.

I need the recommended (NOT) minimum specs for a new graphics card please for this computer: ACER Aspire M3970. Yes I know it's old in computer terms, but was okay most of yesterday.

I was told when I last needed a graphics it may only take up to certain specs.

Keyword for search: Comptr for computer

A GTX 1650 draws 75 watts TDP and you probably have a 300 watt power supply. It would be safer to up the power supply to 450 watts, go to 550 watts and you might be able to squeeze in an RTX 2070 but watch the size. The 1650 is about the most powerful card that doesn't need an external connector.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

Min specs is difficult I can run TANE on an intel integrated graphics series 4000 processor or about 400 on the 3D benchmark if I choose the content very carefully. Realistically something with 5,000+ on the benchmark score would work reasonably well, 10,000 would be reasonable.

Cheerio John

Pretty sure that PC has or originally had a 300 Watt PSU which restricts it something like a GTX1050 or GTX1650. The 1660 and 1660TI require 400 Watts, if upgrading the PSU, I appreciate that may not be an option due to cost but may as well go for 500 as the difference on cost it negligible and opens the door for more and better GPUs.

I have a GEForce Nvidea RTX 2080ti. You will need a big power supply to run this and the rest of your puter. I have an 850 watt Zalman Power supply. Expensive. Yes.

Just told that it may not be the graphics card.

The shop did say that some of the ones that are listed by other members are expensive.

If that's the case, might consider buying another computer.

Just told that it may not be the graphics card.

The shop did say that some of the ones that are listed by other members are expensive.

If that's the case, might consider buying another computer.

Tane / TS19 is basically about the graphics card.

At the moment off lease machines are in demand otherwise a Dell workstation in a tower case with a 6 core xeon has a nice high quality power supply and with 16 or 32 gigs of memory isn't normally too bad for the price,then you drop in an lowesh height RTX 2070.

Currently I'd go possibly for a Dell G5 machine or something with at least a 2060 but look the GPU up in the benchmark score https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

Have fun

Cheerio John

Hi,
My i5 ( overclocked to 4.2) with an rtx 2060 manages about 30 to 60 FPS depending on the route. Using an SSD for TS19 makes a big difference to the loading times as well.

For the UK I'd recommend Chillblast, outside UK, match their pc specs...
Your PSU is probably the simplest upgrade!
The 2060 doesn't need as many power connectors as my old gtx 770...

Colin

Back