Mainline portals and AI trains ?

K4andT1lover

Hi, all.
I have a commuter mainline running through a portion of my layout. I have portals at each end to spawn and consume a consist every 15 mins.
How much do I need to do as far as speed limits, signalling, or similar concerns? This is my first attempt at doing something like this. YouTube videos seem confusing, or not quite my situation.
I should say that these trains are really just "scenery"; and I do not plan any switching or interaction with them at this time.
Thanks.
Ron

All you need to do is add the driver command "drive to (portal Name)". You can add a speed sign if you want it to go faster then 40.

Hi Ron,

Speed is based on the longest train and distance, number of trains, and station stops. I use the US 2000T Coal consist as my moving ruler and place signals at the end of the consist. For double track, you will want to use a permissive or distant signal spaced this way along the line. If you have any wyes, use 3-head signals, and if you go from single to double, use a 2-head on the single track side towards the double track, and two absolute signals facing to the single track.

If you are using Jointed Rail signals, the types are : Type 04 for absolute, Type 05 - permissive, Type 06 - diverge, and Type 08 - interlocking

For the speed, well depending upon how long as mentioned. If it's a "good" distance, you can try 60 mph and see how that works. You maybe able to go up faster or need to go slower. I also find staggering the trains oddly in both directions, meaning one direction is 17 minutes while the other is 15 or 19 minutes. It varies the traffic to make things interesting, and helps if there's any single track since there's less of a chance of two consists meeting.

Now keep in mind that your AI trains coming out of the portals are blind to any signals, switches, or speed limits until the consist is completely spat out of the portal. If you place a junction (switch) too close to the portal, there's a 100% chance the AI train will derail if the switch is set against the portal mouth. This isn't a problem for trains going to the portal and only applies for those exiting from the portal.

For an example of how it works you might download FDL12 Fond du Lac Branch and FDL12 Basic Session. SOO trains are on a 36-minute headway and meet; CNW are on a staggered "timetable" to minimize meets but allow up to two hours uninterrupted.

[Shameless plug--]

:B~)

Back