Hopper

This road, or this type? Majekear has a fair-size assortment of this type but not TRLX. I don't see any TRLX of this particular type. This is <kuid2:56063:175020:2> 4Bay Cylindrical Hopper Indusmin NCHX 46006 LARS, and the dump chutes at the bottom don't match you photo with these either. Sorry.:

hopper.jpg

It's an interesting looking photo though. It looks as if it is meant for a liquid load, rather than solid. Or maybe it is a flowable of some kind. I see two pipes running underneath, and what look like liquid-type shutoff valves. The red lettering speaks to safety shutoff valves above max pressure. I am curious what it hauls and whether there is anything like this in the Trainz world.

Some of RRMODS http://www.rrmods.us/product-category/payware/rolling-stock/covered-hopper/ Plastics Hoppers come close. Their HC5B 5125CF have the under car plumbing anyway and they do have some four bay versions (Edit after checking I was wrong, no 4 bays) although all I have are five bay versions. I haven't seen a full cylindrical car like that though.

These are the HC5B 5125CFs I have. They have several more reporting marks.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

(and yes, I did buy those just for the under car plumbing) :D

Edit: some of DaveSnow's hoppers with the full word "cylindrical" look to be somewhat close.

Last edited:
It's an interesting looking photo though. It looks as if it is meant for a liquid load, rather than solid. Or maybe it is a flowable of some kind. I see two pipes running underneath, and what look like liquid-type shutoff valves. The red lettering speaks to safety shutoff valves above max pressure. I am curious what it hauls and whether there is anything like this in the Trainz world.

Here is what RRMods sez;
"[FONT=&quot]Prototype Description:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Trinity Industries, Inc. Power Flo is a 5,125 cu ft, five-hopper, 15 psi.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]pressure-differential, pneumatic unloading covered hopper designed to[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]economically transport and efficiently load and unload dry, free-flowing commodities.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The car has seven (7) 20 in diameter circular manhole hatches that allow loading[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]of a single compartment with manufacturer applied lining and no interior obstructions[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]for faster loading, unloading and cleaning times, resulting in lower transportation costs."[/FONT]

Nice! Thanks for that Norm! Majekear has set of 4-bay plastics hoppers, but they don't have the plumbing, nor the blunt ends.

there are 3 of these cars on the DLS. one a repaint by BN1970, Power Flo Covered Hopper PC [FONT=&quot]KUID:186817:100333. And two By Dave Snow, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Power Flo Covered Hopper NAHX[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]KUID2:101046:101313:2. and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Power Flo Covered Hopper TILX[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]KUID:101046:100242[/FONT]

Great find jregner 1955! Turns out I have the Dave Snows. Has all the plumbing, but not quite the blunt ends of the OP photo. That photo almost seems to be a one-off of some kind...

Jon2002, is there a tutorial on turning these kinds of pictures into skins? Most of the shots aren't straight on, so things would not be square...?

Are these used to transport plastic pellets?

Not sure, apparently any dry substance that can be moved with 15psi air. I haven't found any pictures of this type of rail car loading or unloading.

"Our air-assisted covered hopper cars are designed for use when gravity is not enough to unload fine, dry bulk commodities. Types include the Airslide, POWER-FLO, and POWER-FLO II cars.Commodities: Flour, sugar, starch, talc, lime and other dry chemicals.
Key Features & Benefits: Designed to handle maximum commodity loads for improved costs. Weather-tight hatches and unloading mechanisms protect product purity. Designed and configured for quick, safe loading and unloading." http://171.67.100.116/publications/power/references/gatx/

These appear to be plastic pellet transporters. I'm pretty sure there are lots of these in trainz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6zdnsVMO4M

Last edited:
My opinion is that it is about the transformation of a tank car into a hopper. Here in Spain a significant number of tank wagons were transformed into hoppers for different products and with these lower pipes and the lateral discharge ports they were used to transport light carbonate of soda. This could be the case, if you look at the top center there is a large whitish stain.
To see the measurements of this car, you would have to find the tank wagon from which it came.

Regards

Javier

Back