Perth Railcars in the 70s - Video with actual sound.

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
https://youtu.be/emoAFioS0dI

Old Super 8 videos and reel-to-reel audio tapes of train operations around Perth Australia in the 1960s and 1970s. The action includes DMUs steam, and diesel trains on the WAGR lines. The video includes the last run on the Fremantle line before discontinuing service in 1979.

Nice find John. :D Sadly that is all historical footage now, with Perth suburban steam passenger trains ending in 1968 and WAGR steam operations completely in 1972, and even those diesels have all passed into history. Incidentally the 'Freo' line ended up being reopened some four years later in 1983 with a change of government as it became a very controversial political issue and is now the very busy electrified Fremantle line of the Transperth Perth suburban network (I've actually been making a route based on the Perth suburban network in Trainz that includes the Fremantle line, but I still have a long way to go on working on it).

Either way, thanks again for posting that blast from the past. :D

You're welcome, sir. I enjoyed watching this video myself. I was fascinated by the mix of the Budd-RDC like DMUs, Alco diesels, and the Baldwin steam locomotives. The signaling too. I noticed a similarity between the signals in the video and those included in the early Auran Trainz versions.

It's sad when an era ends such as this. Things looked very innocent and old-fashioned in some ways, yet it's only 40-50 years ago in an era that I grew up in as well, making me wonder what people will think when they see videos of our times. The City station too is so beautiful and the passenger drop-off road and bridge gives me some ideas on remodeling a passenger terminal I have on a big regional route I've been building off and on for ages.

When I saw the dismantling and abandonment of the Fremantle branch, my heart sank because inside I said to myself that it was a stupid move. When it was mentioned that it's now a busy commuter route, I was glad to see that and your government's controversial political move paid off for everyone. Sadly we're not so lucky where I live. We lost many good commuter routes to bicycle rail-trails that people hardly use.

Good luck with your route. That will make an interesting operation. :)

Back