Baseboard Top Surface

Vern

Trainz Maverick
We have a plethora of fascias and supports etc., but I am struggling to find anything suitable to represent a bare top of the baseboard, i.e. in the fiddle yard area. All I could find was a chipboard texture by CUK and I'm certain last time I tried to use that, the game kept crashing.

If there's anything suitable that is escaping my search, please let me know!

As far as I know there isn't anything Vern. I usually just ballast my fiddle yards with Malc's excellent ground textures. Possibly that's something for one of us TMR enthusiasts to have an experiment with to see what can be done.

Chipboard is awful for building a layout on so a plywood texture would be a much better choice.

As far as I know there isn't anything Vern. I usually just ballast my fiddle yards with Malc's excellent ground textures. Possibly that's something for one of us TMR enthusiasts to have an experiment with to see what can be done.

Chipboard is awful for building a layout on so a plywood texture would be a much better choice.

Fair enough - I'll wing it.

Agree re chipboard for layouts. Years ago I had a small N gauge 4' x 2' layout on a piece of chipboard and it made a heck of a racket. When I had more space to work in OO, I switched to insulation board which was rather crumbly to work with but excellent sound deadening.

I suppose I could see if a forest floor texture at minimum size would work, or if there is a sawdust texture.

Sundeala was commoly used for baseboards when I was making "real" model railways - semi-hard but stable.

I can't remember what texture I used to simulate a bare baseboard for a pretend lifting section for access on a continuous layout - I'll have a look in a bit.

Ray

It was Bowgrave18 in T:ANE - but it looks quite like chipboard to me.

Last edited:
I did find a PBR saw dust texture which seems reasonable. Was about to test it with some fascias, but Surveyor promptly crashed as soon as I entered the keyword in the Search Box. Now sitting here bored watching the database rebuild before I can try again. Cheers, N3V.

Edit: And here it is, looks quite reasonable in my view!

Last edited:
Thanks!

Obviously much work to be done. As this is intended as a "proto model" route that's why there are currently Transdem textures everywhere. They will be eliminated as I work along the route and narrow it down to its piers, before adding all the usual MR trappings. FYI it's actually based on the bit of line between Cleethorpes and Grimsby, which I figured would be a good subject as the ground is fairly level but the track does curve around quite a bit. Largely urban scenery with a bit of beach at the Cleethorpes end. Not included any of the industrial complexes in the area - way beyond the scope of a simple model and my pay grade - so will primarily be a latter day passenger route.

Vern --

That looks excellent. A suggestion -- if you do intend making the layout seasonal (and I'm sure you are, aren't you?) I'd suggest a non-seasonal texture in the Fiddle Yard. It might be snowy on the main layout but snow in the Fiddle Yard does look unusual.

Phil

Sounds like an interesting project Vern. Make sure you post about your progress with lots of nice pictures.

Vern --

That looks excellent. A suggestion -- if you do intend making the layout seasonal (and I'm sure you are, aren't you?) I'd suggest a non-seasonal texture in the Fiddle Yard. It might be snowy on the main layout but snow in the Fiddle Yard does look unusual.

Phil

That's a very good point Phil. Which is why, initially, I was looking for a plywood style spline that could be placed on top of the board. When I load up the route later, I'll set the date to January, load Driver and see if the texture changes to snow!

Hi vern, late to the party here!

I've now got 2 chipboard textures on the DLS,

<kuid:166065:103719> EMM MR Baseboard Chipboard Texture 01
<kuid:166065:103722> EMM MR Baseboard Chipboard Texture 02

Not seasonal or PBR but they have a normal map.

Excellent Graham, I'll take a look. I've been dabbling with a couple of prototype routes lately, not getting very far (I hate Trainz tunnels system with a vengeance) which is why I've gone quiet (also messing around in MSFS and TSW2) so think it's time to grab my plan books and see about another MR project.

Back