The DLS Violations of terms of service!

jjeff1955 I was looking at your original fixes and the updates you uploaded recently and noted that you left out the description. That may have contributed to this problem. It shouldn't have but...

It may help if you can find Linda's email too.

Last edited:
Dan likes to think he knows all about assets, he implied I had changed a line of code deliberately in one of pencils cliff splines as he thinks it’s impossible for text edit app to corrupt config files. I know from bitter experience that this is far from correct.

I don't know where you got that from. It is certainly possible for a text editor to change code so that the file is corrupted - it happens to MAC users all the time. What is not possible is for a text editor to insert a valid tag and value into a text file without some deliberate action, and you will note that I was careful not to suggest that it was your deliberate action.

If you have correct approval for the changes and uploads that you made to those assets then you can report the issue to the help desk and they will be able to confirm that the correct detail is included with the asset description.

I supplied Jeff with Linda's email and I know that he does, in fact, have her permission to share bnsf50's repaired assets in writing. What business is it of yours?

I don't know where you got that from. It is certainly possible for a text editor to change code so that the file is corrupted - it happens to MAC users all the time. What is not possible is for a text editor to insert a valid tag and value into a text file without some deliberate action, and you will note that I was careful not to suggest that it was your deliberate action.

If you have correct approval for the changes and uploads that you made to those assets then you can report the issue to the help desk and they will be able to confirm that the correct detail is included with the asset description.
That’s not the way it read to me, you stated that the change was deliberate . Now if that doesn’t mean that I personally changed the item, then I don’t know what you could have meant, given that I’ d already stated several times that I had used the same item hundreds of times and after a certain number of uses there was an extra line of code , which referred to im2 , which had not been there before, but if you meant something else , then I have to excuse you, even though I can’t see inferring a change was deliberate can be either accidental or a corruption .

Took me awhile to find this https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...50-vanished-from-Trainz&p=1690151#post1690151

While it may not pass a lawyer's test it seems clear enough to me.
it ought to suffice to please everyone, but knowing some of the copyright zealots, I bet somebody will quibble.
I really think that NV3 should have a range of copyright examples that folks could use , including options that would stipulate that once the asset was unable to be used in any supported version of the software that it could at least be updated to enable it to be used in game . Copyright that lasts 75 years for computers is utterly meaningless as long before then 99% of users would not be able to use it on any machines in any profitable form. Surely the objective of a freeware content creator is to enable users to enjoy their work for as long as possible ? You'd have to be incredibly pedantic to insist that you would only want your work to be used on the version that you made it for originally.
Payware is another issue altogether, but I think jankvis's approach was the best, once his assets no longer worked ( or looked as good as ) it had in current versions of the game he generally made it freeware. if its no longer profitable why not let it have a new lease of life ? ( I await the deluge of dissenting voices from the" copyright at all costs "zealots with glum anticipation .).

Thank You to each and everyone one of you for your awesome Replies and Help!

autodctr, hiawathamr, normhart, Dinorius_Redundicus, grazlash, SailorDan, hiawathamr, oknotsen, stagecoach, dangavel, Forester1

I thank all of the ones listed above, even the ones that were a bit Negative and being Negative in a kind way is a good thing, as that means something needs to be looked at or verified. dangavel had mentioned something about the code was changed in the BNSf Grade Xings 2.im I did not do that, or maybe I miss understood that post. I just repaired the Sound Popping and corrected some of the .gs files that were old, clem had an updated version USAStub_v32.gs that needed to replace the older USAStub.gs
That is all that I changed. But I will look at the config file and see if it is there 2.im, not likely as it would have been flagged as Faulty by the Content Manger.

I got the email back from Zec the Help Desk and it was an issue of the older ones still being stick there as stagecoach stated. I was not happy myself to see those older ones still available and they were not allowed.

They are working on the DLS to get it cleaned up and all of the BNSF Grade Xings got tagged as there were the older ones that were still on the DLS stating available for download, but were dead links.

Looks like I will have to re-due all of them under a create new, but I am going to wait for Zec to give me exact instructions of how to do so.
Doing an alias is an excellent way for a lot of them, but some of them I had to replace the .gs files to correct the errors, such as Maddy's intersections had the wrong Script causing severe errors.

All in all I will not be uploading the same assets again until further notice from Zec, it needs to be Legal and perfect the first time.
At least it was not a severe of a Violation that I wondered about. I made exactly sure that I had all of my Permissions clearly present in each Description.

Permissions Granted to Modify and Update to 3.7 required Build.
Kind Regards to all of you that stepped in and stuck with me thru my frustrating issues.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Good to see it's all sorted, to a degree. At least Zec was able to assist and point the way forward. Helpdesk is always my first port of call when it's an issue the community can't fix.
cheers
Graeme

Thank You to each and everyone one of you for your awesome Replies and Help!

autodctr, hiawathamr, normhart, Dinorius_Redundicus, grazlash, SailorDan, hiawathamr, oknotsen, stagecoach, dangavel, Forester1

I thank all of the ones listed above, even the ones that were a bit Negative and being Negative in a kind way is a good thing, as that means something needs to be looked at or verified. dangavel had mentioned something about the code was changed in the BNSf Grade Xings 2.im I did not do that, or maybe I miss understood that post. I just repaired the Sound Popping and corrected some of the .gs files that were old, clem had an updated version USAStub_v32.gs that needed to replace the older USAStub.gs
That is all that I changed. But I will look at the config file and see if it is there 2.im, not likely as it would have been flagged as Faulty by the Content Manger.

I got the email back from Zec the Help Desk and it was an issue of the older ones still being stick there as stagecoach stated. I was not happy myself to see those older ones still available and they were not allowed.

They are working on the DLS to get it cleaned up and all of the BNSF Grade Xings got tagged as there were the older ones that were still on the DLS stating available for download, but were dead links.

Looks like I will have to re-due all of them under a create new, but I am going to wait for Zec to give me exact instructions of how to do so.
Doing an alias is an excellent way for a lot of them, but some of them I had to replace the .gs files to correct the errors, such as Maddy's intersections had the wrong Script causing severe errors.

All in all I will not be uploading the same assets again until further notice from Zec, it needs to be Legal and perfect the first time.
At least it was not a severe of a Violation that I wondered about. I made exactly sure that I had all of my Permissions clearly present in each Description.

Permissions Granted to Modify and Update to 3.7 required Build.
Kind Regards to all of you that stepped in and stuck with me thru my frustrating issues.
Cheers.
No Jeff , it wasn’t anything to do with you , I was referring to a previous conversation about another asset that is freely allowed to be modified, no copyright issues. It just referred to Sailordans comment then , I find him a bit accusatory on occasions , although I am sure he means well . I did accidentally upload two assets a few months ago that wasn’t allowed to be changed , I informed nv3 before they got onto the dls but still got a warning from them . Ironically they have left one up on the dls even though I’ve told them about it, irs missing a library so it can’t be used by anyone anyway . I’m sure your issue can be sorted once they know you have permission to change the assets.

Thanks dangravel for the reply.
I kinda of figured I miss understood when I thought about it.
This is just a great wake up call for me to be very careful and pay very close attention to details such as the description in the assets, to be very clear about what kind of permissions that I have. I will never steal someone else's work for my own use, and no one ever said that I did, but just in my general personal status, I am Honest about everything in my life, and I want to help the community and not cause arguments among them.

If there is something that I uploaded, and it does not look right, I want to know about it asap.
Cheers.

I tried to download you latest submission and I got that message that I can't download it due to being someone else's stuff. :(

Yes I know :(and it will be resolved soon, Please be Patient and I will be able to upload all of the Assets again in due time.
There was an issue with the old ones that were obsoleted not being taken down correctly, probably my fault.
What was the Asset you were trying to download so I can add it to my Library List.
Cheers.

Last edited:
I wish N3V would be more proactive about copyright WRT to those who have moved on and are happy for others to re-use their work. Linda's comments reflect my own thoughts. I don't give a toss about copyright for my own work providing I get acknowledged as the original author. That approach works very well in the software world and I never see arguments in those forums such as this. What we need is a copyright page in the Trainz WiKi that expresses our intent. Such a page would need to be locked by N3V.

I think I know why this situation arose in the first place and, as far as I'm concerned, it was a simple misunderstanding and no penalties should have been imposed. My 2 cents.

I will make the point that the CRG cannot, under the current rules, deliberately make changes that change the author's intent and that area can be very grey at times. But we have managed to fix many 1000's of assets with few complaints so we must be doing something right. :)

I wish N3V would be more proactive about copyright WRT to those who have moved on and are happy for others to re-use their work. Linda's comments reflect my own thoughts. I don't give a toss about copyright for my own work providing I get acknowledged as the original author. That approach works very well in the software world and I never see arguments in those forums such as this. What we need is a copyright page in the Trainz WiKi that expresses our intent. Such a page would need to be locked by N3V.

I think I know why this situation arose in the first place and, as far as I'm concerned, it was a simple misunderstanding and no penalties should have been imposed. My 2 cents.

I will make the point that the CRG cannot, under the current rules, deliberately make changes that change the author's intent and that area can be very grey at times. But we have managed to fix many 1000's of assets with few complaints so we must be doing something right. :)

. It would have been very productive for the firm to have written a proviso that after so many years , if not specified, or no contact had been made with the creator or no copyright intentions had been expressed in their work, that the uploaders forfeit the right to claim copyright on the items.

As I stated before, what is the point in retaining copyright on items that no one can use any more because they are obsolete which were never payware. I'll state this here and now, any routes or content that I have personally made are free for anyone to change and update in the future , as long as not used for personal gain , unless they were reskins of others work that needs permission specifically from the original creators.

It seems perverse to make something and then limit its use especially when it was free in the first place. I suggest that anyone who creates content should make their wishes as to what happens to their work after they leave the hobby or die very clear to others either in their config files or in the forum . Then we can avoid these endless discussions as to what creators intended when they made their work available to an audience.

This is exactly why I requested Funnnyfarm to make a declaration on his routes in another post. I had him use Dave Snow's declaration as a model. Funnnyfarm only has three routes, but at least one is still a work in progress and needs finishing. He wanted to send me his hard drive, but I told him I would never be able to upload the finished route without such a declaration. He was kind enough to post it so now ANYONE can take his route and finish it. But I agree with dangavel about the proviso. It should be a click-by "I agree" to anyone who uploads content. If they disagree, they can keep the content on their own sites, like many do.

This is not so much about copyright but about assets being brought up to date for TRS. Repaired assets are returned to the DLS with an update version number under the original kuid not as a different asset. Assets done by the CRG do not make those assets as their own uploads.

@dangavel
I'll state this here and now, any routes or content that I have personally made are free for anyone to change and update in the future , as long as not used for personal gain , unless they were reskins of others work that needs permission specifically from the original creators.

I agree that these declarations need to be formalized somehow. As an example, consider the recently uploaded Timber Ridge route. I cannot say enough about your hard work and generosity in providing this route. I also do not wish to start the endless debate about what belongs in a route and session. However, all the consists are in the route layer (AFAIK). If I ever wanted to upload a session for this route (and I am not pledging to do so), I would have to make a new route with the consists either deleted or in a session layer. If I tried to upload it along with a new session, I suspect that pitchforks and torches would appear from N3V. My point is that your statement of generosity is just a sentence amongst millions in the forum. Who is to say if anyone at N3v has even read it, and even if so, would have any desire or mechanism to archive it in such a way as to be retrievable?

You see, even in your carefully thought out statement, it is not at all clear that any changes can be uploaded.

Last edited:
I think it would be a great idea to have either a sticky thread or a forum for these declarations. Anything we currently have should be copied to it, and any new ones added. Then there would be one source of record for these. They should be made by the creators themselves, or anything second-hand (Sorry Norm) should be posted as a screenshot of the letter or other communication via the Trainz Gallery, so it won't disappear off of some other posting site.

And I am going to post this in the Suggestion Box thread....

Last edited:
I think it would be a great idea to have either a sticky thread or a forum for these declarations. Anything we currently have should be copied to it, and any new ones added. Then there would be one source of record for these. They should be made by the creators themselves, or anything second-hand (Sorry Norm) should be posted as a screenshot of the letter or other communication via the Trainz Gallery, so it won't disappear off of some other posting site.

You beat me to it. I was going to say the same or similar to this.

Back