Session layer problem

Every Route wants a Session, so I don't fight it. I always have an appropriately named Session for working on a route, using the "Edit the Session, not the Route" philosophy.

That is, always open the Session in Surveyor, then switch to Route layer for Route work.

Things like industry configuration etc., only appear in the Session layer. Using favorite rules while testing in UDS takes setting them up in Session. Environment is in Session. I appreciate having that available while switching Surveyor/Driver. I use a session layer named Consists, to keep track of the locos and rollingstock.

It is important to not save as driver, but to always save in surveyor, either as route and overwrite session, or just as overwrite session if nothing in the route was changed. This keeps the session intact with any progress.

One rookie's method---YMMV

regards,

Blabsky

The layers contain scenery objects only. Any settings (except the name), done in the property pages, and rules are saved as session data.

Peter

I appreciate all the advice I've been given and I have to say that this is the great thing about this forum is the help that is freely given to members like myself who are struggling with a problem on their routes/layouts. I have a testing TMR format layout where I experiment with new ideas so I'll have a play around with that and see if I can put the advice I've been given to practical use. So thank you very much gentlemen your kind advice is very much appreciated.

I can see the advantages of that as in John's example where he's using the session to change eras, but in my case I only want engines and rolling to be in the session and nothing else.
Add a new session layer and place it at the top of the session list with your engine layers below it. The top layer is the first layer it will go to if you forget to check. You can then merge it and replace a new session layer.

I think I have got it..after quite a bit of mucking about.
What I have been doing is working on a route, exiting said route, loading a new session from the view sessions tab to place consists, rules etc when in fact that step can be eliminated by simply adding a session layer and placing consists etc there. I then notice when switching to view sessions on the main menu the 'session' from the previous layer in the route construction, appears there!

In other words; whilst in the route construction, made a session layer saved as 'consists' put a 4VEP down and when prompted to save when exiting made a new session called 'test1' which appeared in the 'view sessions menu' of the route in question. Soooo... presumably I can configure driver rules, EIT paths, and anything to do with the session named 'test1' in that session layer for any/all consist. Right?

If this is accurate and I have made no miscalculations...its brilliant!
Although I do get Annie's point in keeping a close eye on where the hell you are, and maybe creating some sort of identifier.

Val it is best to keep EIT in the route layer but rules, driver commands are in the session. A layer in the bottom section is saved to the session and only returns if you open edit session. A layer added to the top section will reload with the route. If you put your consist layer in the route section you can move it to the session section by dragging it down.

There is a route I have in T:ANE, a very nice one, but critical assets like bridges across rivers and tracks to grain elevators are in the session layer! So if you want to quick drive, you can't. All you can do is drive the session. It took me a while to figure that out after painstakingly trying to replace the missing items in the route, and was very irritating to discover! I would have to go back and figure out what / whose route that is....

For several years, people have been asking for an indicator in the top menu bar showing what we are working in. We still don't have it. However, at least in 2019, we have creepy looking animated engineers. Ya gotta wonder who is setting priorities at N3V and on what they are basing those priorities.

You can hide the route layer to show only the session layer. Anything showing can then be moved to the route layer and will disappear while the route layer is hidden.

When done moving, switch to the route layer and unhide it.

I agree we have creepy drivers, but no indicator showing which layer is selected!

If I have accidently placed items in the session layer instead of route, I use the "Bulk Asset Update/Replace" tool.

1.click on the "hide layer" icon for the route layer in the layers tab first, then only the session items show.
2.Next use the "Bulk Asset Update/Replace tool" in Tools menu.
3.In the "Asset to update" use the "get asset tool" on the item in the session and repeat for any other different items that were meant for the route layer. The named item/s will appear in the left window.
4.When all found, select the box for "Randomly move 20% (default) of scenery objects to layer" in this case the route-layer and ensuring moving the slider far right to 100%.
5.Click on "Begin" and all selected items are moved to the route layer.
6.All done.

Items can be moved to their own named layers this way too - just need to remember to unlock the layer if locked.

I have been experimenting with using layers and daring to make use of the session layer and I'm feeling a bit more confident about it now. Being more sleepy than usual doesn't help though. I'm sleeping a lot more lately and having wonderful dreams about building layouts, - only unfortunately dreams don't have a save option.

Back