Narrow gauge grain hoppers

I have also been searching for some without much success. The closest I have come is

<kuid2:96997:1025:1> QR WHE wheat wagon covered MG

on the DLS. The "MG" I suspect is a typo and probably should be "NG" as they are narrow gauge (42"). However, they are not industry active but as they are covered you won't see the grain loading and unloading.

What flavour of "narrow gauge"? 18, 24, 30, 36, 42in, ... . Then there's metric ... .

LOL. 36". I should have been more specific. I was looking for something that would fit in the early 20th century. I know historically they used boxcars until the 60s but none of the boxcars hold bulk bread that the bread factory kuid2:50722:28050:2 needs.

Last edited:
I've never seen one of a American railroad. If you can find a small hopper car in standard gauge, you can change the bogies out. Look for Pencil42 on the DLS. He makes standard gauge turn of the century stuff. Maybe something with a tarp.

William

An interesting topic.

The cereal train hopper cars began to be seen in the late 1950s or early 1960s (in Europe), I suppose something similar would happen in the US.
Since the beginning of the 20th century, boxcars were used to which wood was placed in the doorway, somewhat above half the height of the doorway, so they were loaded with grain with endless screws or by hand.

The second question is that there are narrow gauge hoppers; In Brazil there are different types of broad gauge hoppers with metric bogies.

I leave some images of what I say.

Regards
Javier

piquer2.jpg

2020-07-14-113505.jpg

2020-07-14-113550.jpg

2020-07-14-113624.jpg

To clarify the Narrow Gauge is up to 36" or 3 feet, Then it is Medium Gauge between 3 feet up to 4 feet 8 & 1/2.
There fore the Queensland stuff is always Medium Gauge.

keep up the great work folks....

Well the answer to the hopper question is yes but no.

prowler901's NG36" D&RGW F22 and F23 flatcars load Gold Medal Flower sacks. I've see partial door boxcar grain haulers in game but I believe they are all standard gauge.

There are actually several sack products in several sizes some of which ought to fit on narrow gauge flats, in gondolas, or in boxcars. For this kind of bulk in packaging do not forget barrels, there are numerous barrels of various sizes suitable for bulk stuff. I use barrels for hauling sugar on my St. Barbara Island route.

That's a new one to me. Here in the UK anything less than standard gauge is called narrow gauge.

You are right, the narrow gauge is anything that is smaller in width than a country's broad gauge.
In Brazil, Spain and Russia the broad gauge is wider than the international gauge; reason why in these countries the 1,435 gauge can be considered narrow gauge.

Regards

Well the answer to the hopper question is yes but no.

prowler901's NG36" D&RGW F22 and F23 flatcars load Gold Medal Flower sacks. I've see partial door boxcar grain haulers in game but I believe they are all standard gauge.

There are actually several sack products in several sizes some of which ought to fit on narrow gauge flats, in gondolas, or in boxcars. For this kind of bulk in packaging do not forget barrels, there are numerous barrels of various sizes suitable for bulk stuff. I use barrels for hauling sugar on my St. Barbara Island route.

The problem is that the bread factory kuid2:50722:28050:2 only uses bulk flour kuid2:64577:910016:1

The problem is that the bread factory kuid2:50722:28050:2 only uses bulk flour kuid2:64577:910016:1

Well you could make your own either by adding or replacing a product in a queue to any existing rail car that does bulk or you can get creative.

Edit: well... this will be going up on the DLS today or tomorrow. Probably not what you wanted but it does haul flour. :D

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Last edited:
If you're talking U.S. narrow gauge it's not likely you'll find any. After 1880 any class 1 road was standard gauge. Narrow gauge was built in rugged terrain not suitable for grain farming of any quantity. You might find them using clean box cars with the grain doors as described above [the economics of grain doors is a story in itself], but bagged grain would be far more likely. NG lines usually serve small communities with no large industries apart from extraction -- mines and logging -- where the community was centered on supporting the extractor crews. Well, livestock industries too, but that's kind of an extraction industry in itself with the product shipped to larger centers.

The trouble with retrofitting standard hoppers with NG trucks/bogies is that they would be much too big to operate on NG where weight, curves and clearances would not permit them.

:B~)

As I understand it the OP wants to use that specific bakery on his route. I've looked over my collection of NG36 hoppers and none of them seem suitable, no tarps primarily, so I figured a grain boxcar converted from something else ought to do. :D

The OP did not specify a railroad or a source for his flour. ;) I was thinking one of davesnow's mills might work but would require an industry track or something.

Edit: bendorsey did some ng36 gons/hoppers that might fit the bill with a tarp on them. I don't have the talent nor the time to create those.

<kuid2:210518:11496:1> WP&Y_Anyox_Hopper_650
<kuid2:210518:11497:1> WP&Y_Anyox_Hopper_651
<kuid2:210518:6569:1> PC&F Ballast Gon 1
<kuid2:210518:6570:1> PC&F Ballast Gon 2
<kuid2:210518:300149:1> WP&Y_Hart_Gondola_315
<kuid2:210518:300150:1> WP&Y_Hart_Gondola_316

Last edited:
Well you could make your own either by adding or replacing a product in a queue to any existing rail car that does bulk or you can get creative.

Edit: well... this will be going up on the DLS today or tomorrow. Probably not what you wanted but it does haul flour. :D

That will work fine. I'm modeling 1920s and using primarily Prowler's K series locos. Yes I know they wouldn't have pulled flour to a bread factory but where is the fun in that :) If I knew how to convert the factory to pallets of flour, I would definitely be using boxcars or even flat cars with pallets on them.

That will work fine. I'm modeling 1920s and using primarily Prowler's K series locos. Yes I know they wouldn't have pulled flour to a bread factory but where is the fun in that :) If I knew how to convert the factory to pallets of flour, I would definitely be using boxcars or even flat cars with pallets on them.

You know that you might be able to talk cj187 into doing that conversion to sacks/pallets for you? I took another look at the grain car after some sleep and it really is too wide and a bit too tall but I'll get it up there for you. It might get stuck in bridges and tunnels though. :D

Testing in TANESP3 complete

Testing in TRS19 complete

You will need speed limits entering the bakery. No FX I'm afraid. :D

Uploaded successfully.

Last edited:
Hope its OK to change the type of wagon in this thread, but what aboutNG log wagons? Are there any of those around especially l interactive for the NG section to Frank Mill on the BC & SJ although I'm not sure what the gauge is yet
The only good log wagons that I can find that are interactive are the Clinchfield ones but they are standard gauge. Any ideas? Cheers

I've added a V2 of the grain car and, after running through a lot of possible covered hopper stand-ins came up with a water car that kinda looks like a covered hopper and is a lot more to scale. :D

@nimec in the Content Manager - Category = Rolling Stock, Name = Skeleton should bring up quite a few. Most of the narrow gauge stuff is wooden framed.

Other sites
http://www.steammachine.com/slugsmasher/ss2_downloads_main.htm under Rolling Stock
http://trainzone.co.nz/freeware.htm under various links all sorts of stuff here.
My favorite logging rail cars are here http://trainzone.co.nz/logging.htm This set by narrowgauge is not interactive but they sure look good. don49plm apparently has a set like this in development for standard gauge.

I've added a V2 of the grain car and, after running through a lot of possible covered hopper stand-ins came up with a water car that kinda looks like a covered hopper and is a lot more to scale. :D

@nimec in the Content Manager - Category = Rolling Stock, Name = Skeleton should bring up quite a few. Most of the narrow gauge stuff is wooden framed.

Other sites
http://www.steammachine.com/slugsmasher/ss2_downloads_main.htm under Rolling Stock
http://trainzone.co.nz/freeware.htm under various links all sorts of stuff here.
My favorite logging rail cars are here http://trainzone.co.nz/logging.htm This set by narrowgauge is not interactive but they sure look good. don49plm apparently has a set like this in development for standard gauge.

That looks awesome! I sent CJ a message about it. I wouldn't doubt there are others who have had my problems and needed a solution.

@nimec I have a bunch of log cars. Send me a PM and I'll let you know what I have that may work for you

Back