Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NV3 Next Generation Content

If there is a 'Green' era version of the Class 47 planned, note that I've developed some rolling headcode blinds that should work with any 4-character headcode loco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0lrehXlq4A

Also - it would be really a bummer if Rumour3 was finished with Trainz - he had a really stunning Class 31 model in the works, that would just look splendid in BR Green (and golden ochre!).
    Last edited by EverTrainz; June 29th, 2020 at 04:34 PM.
    Regards Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Well to be fair, not even Train Sim World offers quite that level of realistic appearance!
    To be fair (with the right settings and importantly, the right content) Trainz has the potential to match or better the routes available with TSW - it is increasingly becoming common knowledge that DTG is in the market to churn out new routes and content as quickly as they can, often sacrificing detail and the quality/robustness of content. The WCRC 47 is already a noticeable bit more detailed than the WSR 47 in TSW. With a few well-placed TurfFX and trackside detail, Trainz can outdo TSW in my opinion. PBR has greatly leveled the playing field for Trainz - also a reason for which I predict that Train sim content creators will making their way to Trainz (hopefully) in the future. Who knows - maybe AP or BMG can make an appearance to satisfy the starvation of high quality "next generation" UK content.
    Regards Ron

Actually I've said before Ron, if N3V could get to it and put a decent activity/timetable editor in the sim, plus finally get automatic route setting for the player train they could bring over a lot of people from the other sims.

The other thing is a means of hard saving your post processing settings so once you hit the sweet spot, don't need to reinput every time - should be saved at the core game level.

On the subject of UK rolling stock, what's annoying is that we have some quite passable items still in terms of the 3D models but let down by the cabs and sounds - the Red Hen cab might have passed muster as an alias back in 2006 but not anymore. We also still have the issue of the UK SR EMU's being aliased to that illegally cloned sound set which means they show up as faulty and can't be placed. The 4 CIG is a bit dated now but most of the EPB's and SUB's are quite passable, if the original author(s) could update to a different sound set. The 4 VEP is an example of great contemporary freeware as is the newest Class 117 DMU which has a nice cab and sounds.
    TRS 2019 Coach Class (Former Customer)

The 4 VEP is an example of great contemporary freeware.
    Totally agree with that and use them on my Southern Region-Brighton Line which is all third rail. Perfect addition.
    Creator of Blue Mountains Line and Southern Region - Brighton Line routes.

Quote Originally Posted by EverTrainz View Post
    I've developed some rolling headcode blinds that should work with any 4-character headcode loco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0lrehXlq4A
    Hi EverTrainz just inquiring if this asset freely available on DLS or for your private use? Video looks interesting.
    Creator of Blue Mountains Line and Southern Region - Brighton Line routes.

On the subject of UK rolling stock, what's annoying is that we have some quite passable items still in terms of the 3D models but let down by the cabs and sounds - the Red Hen cab might have passed muster as an alias back in 2006 but not anymore. We also still have the issue of the UK SR EMU's being aliased to that illegally cloned sound set which means they show up as faulty and can't be placed.
    Hopefully we will see some more custom cabs to go with the content - in my opinion to create rolling stock without a cab interior to go with it will only satisfy the "model railway" aspect of the simulator. Interactive cabs are a lot of work, in some cases almost as intensive as the exterior itself, but it should generally be easier to work with since once you get the cab shell done it's a matter of using and reusing standard parts. Throttle, Davies & Metcalfe air brake and train brake, AWS bell, sunflower, AWS backhead equipment, etc. can all be reused in cabs once you have made them. The new 47 cab looks good.

Sounds - well I think our only cop-out is attracting Armstrong Powerhouse but with the inability to "officially" sell them there is not much hope there I presume. Maybe there will be an effort to record new sounds for the Class 47 and GWR DMU, that would be nice to hear. I've made Class 30 sounds from scratch for the original Mirrlees JVS12T engines fitted (before the whole class was re-engined to Cl 31), and preparing sounds is a tricky process.
    Regards Ron

Quote Originally Posted by valbridge View Post
    Hi EverTrainz just inquiring if this asset freely available on DLS or for your private use? Video looks interesting.
    Hello - I haven't yet uploaded the headcode blinds but they do require a fair bit of scriptwork on the loco - I am trying to think of a way in which the scripting can be handled by the asset itself, but it might be better-off performance wise if it was done on the loco itself.
    Regards Ron

Quote Originally Posted by EverTrainz View Post
    To be fair (with the right settings and importantly, the right content) Trainz has the potential to match or better the routes available with TSW .... With a few well-placed TurfFX and trackside detail, Trainz can outdo TSW in my opinion. PBR has greatly leveled the playing field for Trainz - also a reason for which I predict that Train sim content creators will making their way to Trainz (hopefully) in the future. ...
    Very true Ron, but without rolling stock we've got nothing to run through the beautifully prepared TurfFX and trackside detail on our gorgeously lit routes. No amount of PBR can make up for the absence of actual trains!

Paul

United States of America, New York, Allegany

Quote Originally Posted by pware View Post
    I am pretty sure I saw that on a TRS2004 screenshot years ago!

If that's the case, it probably did pretty well in a Trainz screenshot competition.
    T:ANE Standard SP2 to SP3
    TRS 2012 build 61388

If one of the best known groups in UK creation get no joy with N3V, (PLL), then the prospects for others may not be the best.

I bought the Class 14 pack since they were used by the NCB on the Ashington system in the Northumberland Coalfield and given the growing interest in Heritage Railways perhaps N3V would ask someone, Evertrainz for example, to update their pack. However, I would probably buy the new Class 47 and Class 153 DMU and if there are to be alternative liveries then that would be a welcome addition.

As for the British Railways era between 1958 and 1994 I have often said that a new HST with Mk3 stock would be my number one priority for updating. It is among the most significant trains which have operated on the UK network over the past forty-five years, which, given its genesis out of the failure of UK governments in the late 1960s and early 1970s to fund electrification of the East Coast main Line, is quite an accomplishment. My personal number two on the list is the Class 101 DMU (correction 101 not 105 oops) in two-car and three car versions.

Looking at locomotives, the sheer number of Class 37s and 47s in use across the network make them locos which can't be ignored. However, as the issues of Modern Locomotives Illustrated clearly document, they each evolved in to several different versions as well as carrying a plethora of liveries, and that obviously impacts just which versions are constructed. The Class 56 was, in general terms, an evolution of the Class 47 while the Class 57 was a derivitive of the Class 47. In my personal opinion, a Class 56 in Rail Blue with updated HAA hoppers for the 1980s and a Class 57 in First Great Western livery with Mk3 Sleepers for the 2000s would each make a pack with some appeal.

At some point N3V and Trainz asset creators are going to have to bite the bullet and start turning out UK assets built since 2010 or younger people will just not become Trainzers since there is very little to buy or download which reflects the railway they know. Perhaps not a Class 801 just yet but a Class 350 EMU, a Class 185 DMU, a Class 70 loco.
    Last edited by borderreiver; July 11th, 2020 at 06:08 PM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by borderreiver View Post
    At some point N3V and Trainz asset creators are going to have to bite the bullet and start turning out UK assets built since 2010 or younger people will just not become Trainzers since there is very little to buy or download which reflects the railway they know. Perhaps not a Class 801 just yet but a Class 350 EMU, a Class 185 DMU, a Class 70 loco.
    The problem, of course, is that you could use the same argument for every country, region and rail gauge. Thats a huge number of content creators who will be needed.
    TRS19 Platinum 105100 - TRS19 SP1 (standard) 105096 - TANE SP4 105766

Quote Originally Posted by borderreiver View Post
    I agree with this because as route and "immersion-efficient" it is to focus all efforts on a single era and region's stock, it will make the simulator largely unappealing to those that have interests apart from that. A couple modern items, a couple steam-era, few BR Blue era liveries, and a few pre-grouping locos would cover the spread well. There is also a lot of overlap among the stock in all these eras, so it is important to provide an easy way to reskin these. I would say that to make reskinning in Substance Painter and whatnot easier, it would be the most ideal to make these N3V meshes open-source but that opens up a whole 'nother can of worms in licensing and piracy.

Quote Originally Posted by pware View Post
    The problem, of course, is that you could use the same argument for every country, region and rail gauge. Thats a huge number of content creators who will be needed.
    The "big four" regions in terms of simulator consumers are Europe, UK, Australia, and US. I'm not sure about AUS (Zec seems to be supporting the Australian scene with his VR routes and amazing stock) but it seems like the European communities have a solid handle on things in terms of availability of high-quality content - not too sure about the various countries encompasses but whether it's Spain, Russia, or Poland/France/you name it, there seems to be a decent following and content available. Obviously it goes without saying that JR and RRMods, TrainzForge, etc. all support the American railroad scene in Trainz. For how many UK users there are (left) in Trainz, the UK content simply isn't being created or released at a sustainable rate in comparison - I am of course also to blame for this.

Now would be N3V's time to capitalize on the UK TS communities' grievances with TSW, since the whisping-away of plans for a promised editor and multiplayer have left many frustrated players looking for a new simulator to hop on. The WCRC 47 and GWR DMU would be just about the only UK Trainz content offered to the same quality here. (And maybe some upcoming coaches ) These would be able to interest and attract some UK users from other simulators, which would help kickstart the "regrowth" of the Trainz UK community.
    Regards Ron

Talking of Australia, I realise it's a lower population and market, but is literally growing at twice the rate of the USA or UK, and yes Zec has Victoria covered very well, especially some superb steam engines. But the rest of Australia is falling behind. For QLD, it's 3ft 6in NOT 4ft 8 1/2in, there isn't a whole lot, and so far I can find not one bulk open hopper wagon with a visual load. Invisible sugar, wheat etc. just doesn't cut it, so it's sadly lacking. Given the masses of sugar cane fields, it needs attention but then it always comes back to numbers, potential users/buyers etc.. What we need is more creators, which means making Trainz more attractive to lure them in. Is that a self perpetuating circle or something?
    Owner of alikiwitrainzaddons.com.au

We are going back a bit here but, I do remember (and still have) the MSTS Keighley & Worth Valley Railway add-on that gave us the current (back then) route AND the original route plus all the spurs and main lines around Bradford and Leeds which gave hours of endless running. Now that was created if I remember correctly by a member of the KWVR and was sold at the railway too. Couldn't we get possible volunteers again from these layouts to do something with N3V? Surely they must have got in touch with Microsoft to be able to produce and sell the route and extra rolling stock that it came with?

From personal experience I was using TRS2004 right up to about 2015 when I ended up moving to a new PC and that was that till this year. I was a little tired of the crap graphics and rolling stock and seeing the new releases being all about US certainly put me off buying a new copy.