NV3 Next Generation Content

Paulsw2

Ambling on the slow line
Can't find any other threads about this elsewhere on these forums, so I'll post this here. I see from the latest newsletter that N3V are developing 'New Generation Content' starting with a new class 47. 'Excellent' I thought, speaking as someone who would very much like to buy new UK content for the British Rail period and bearing in mind that UK trainzers are having to rely on models some of which are almost 20 years old. But hang on! Upon closer inspection I see that this class 47 is actually,
"some of the West Coast Railways Class 47 locos..."

This choice for 'Next Generation Content' is, shall we say, somewhat niche. There are only 14 that have ever been in this livery, they've only been running since 2003 and they only run on charter trains. In other words, they are of absolutely no interest to anyone running UK routes between 1963 (when class 47 was introduced) and the end of the 1990s and anyone who wants to run a freight train or a standard passenger train. Now of course I apologise immediately if N3V's intentions for their 'New Generation Content' encompass this locomotive in diverse liveries (in which case I do hope you'll remove the headlight from the front nose so that those of us who model the 1960s and 70s can run them.)

However, I do fear that this latest development is in line with N3V's earlier, and similarly niche, decision to offer us a payware class 14 loco. No matter that these locos only ran on one region (Western) and only for a few years before being despatched to the scrapyard or local industrial siding. Even worse, there was already a perfectly serviceable class 14 available, free, on the Download Station!

So, my question for N3V - who does your market research? What consultation have you done with UK trainzers about what models they would like to buy? (And can I repeat - I really would like to pay for some new models!)

Otherwise, perhaps I could recommend the MetroVic Class 28 Co-Bo for your next 'New Generation Content' - there were only 20, they only ran for 10 years before being scrapped and there's a free one available on the Download Station. So it clearly ticks all the boxes! :p

Meanwhile, if there are any talented content makers out there who are willing to create - very much needed - new models of either class 20, 24, 25, 31 or 47 please contact me because (did I mention this?) I AM WILLING TO PAY!

Paul

Well put Paul - the model itself looks excellent, but unless they are going to make it very easy to reskin (ho-ho) or very rapidly release it in a number of liveries/configurations it is of very little use to prototype modellers.

I'm equally willing to pay, but add 22, 35, 35, 42, 52 to the list!

Some decent coaches to go with it would be handy too....

Agree with all said above. For those steamers out there (I am a rare breed who enjoys diesel and steam) may I suggest a proper new model of Stanier's Class 5? A go anywhere do anything Black 5 would be very much appreciated in my humble opinion. As for reskins I have a horrible feeling that the 47 will not be easily re-done and that the West Coast livery will be the only one available. I would however, very much like to be proved wrong.

Every once in awhile I go to the "other" trainsim that I have installed on my system and look at all the new British locomotives and rollingstock advertised for it. Even the stock in the old iteration of that sim are of excellent quality. Mainly diesels and electrics from mid 20th century to current times. I am astonished at the range and quality of the newer models that are available. The interiors, particularly the cabs and the interactive controls are of a very high standard. All payware , of course. I, too am willing to pay for those items, if made available for trainz. I am not a modeller so no good at building myself. So I have to make do with all the older stock we have in trainz.

Last edited:
Frankly crazy decisions like that (IF it doesn't include other liveries), doesn't surprise me at all. A bit more rational decision making would be a good idea, especially for keeping a business viable, so fingers crossed.

There are only 14 that have ever been in this livery, they've only been running since 2003 and they only run on charter trains
>>
Exactly. This is being custom built by us for a 3rd party route and session we're helping out with.

Now of course I apologise immediately if N3V's intentions for their 'New Generation Content' encompass this locomotive in diverse liveries (in which case I do hope you'll remove the headlight from the front nose so that those of us who model the 1960s and 70s can run them.)
>>
Yes, there are plans for other liveries (and possibly additional options for reskinning).

N3V's earlier, and similarly
niche, decision to offer us a payware class 14 loco.
>>
We offer primarily what we 3rd party content creators provide. In this case, the creator offered it to us, so we made it available.

What consultation have you done with UK trainzers about what models they would like to buy?
>>
It's more a case of "what do 3rd party content creators want to create"? The reason there is a lot more USA content is because JR, HP Trinz and others make the content and sell it non-exclusively through our store.
The UK creators are thin on the ground. We are aware of rumour3 working on a 47.

Meanwhile, if there are any talented content makers out there who are willing to create - very much needed - new models of either class 20, 24, 25, 31 or 47 please contact me because (did I mention this?) I AM WILLING TO PAY!
>>
And we're willing to sell it!

Some decent coaches to go with it would be handy too...
>>
Yep, agreed.

By the way, a loco and cab runs into many thousands of dollars to create (well over 100 man hours)

Was not having a go at you nor N3V, Tony. More of a lamentation for the paucity of British rollingstock creators. "If you pay, they will build it"...Well we are here. Where are they? Cheers. :D

Last edited:
A lot of IFs and assumptions in many of the above posts. We simply do not know, at this stage, IF the 47 will be released in just one livery apart from that described and I would not necessarily expect that that information would be released well beforehand - there can be a lot of missteps between an announcement and a delivery. I would also expect (another assumption) that a rolling stock creator would be concentrating on getting the mesh right first, with perhaps one or two "sample skins", before embarking on a mass skin creation project based on the finished mesh.

In short, speculation is fine but I would prefer to wait for an official release announcement before I start condemning a product.

To me, sitting on the other side of the world, a 47 Class is a Co-Co diesel electric loco built by Goninan & Co, designed by Hitachi, using Hitachi power units. 20 of them were built for branch-line and shunting duties in 1972-73 for the NSWGR.

Likewise I would be very interested in some more realistic BR content and like many others did purchase the Class 14 with animated driver etc. unfortunately it was not updated shortly afterwards, unlike the Duchess, when T:ANE was released making it for most, obsolete. I would like to think that these Class 47 and 53 locos do not suffer a similar fate but would that be to much to hope for. Peter

The UK creators are thin on the ground. We are aware of rumour3 working on a 47.

Sadly I don't think Rumour3 uses Trainz anymore. He was working on various models including a Class 33, 47, 50 and 70, which were really good quality. I have tried to contact him various times but with no success.

Likewise I would be very interested in some more realistic BR content and like many others did purchase the Class 14 with animated driver etc. unfortunately it was not updated shortly afterwards, unlike the Duchess, when T:ANE was released making it for most, obsolete. I would like to think that these Class 47 and 53 locos do not suffer a similar fate but would that be to much to hope for. Peter

The freeware Class 14 was actually a far more accurate model - but the payware one was well worth it for the cab.

Sadly I suspect the reality we have to acknowledge is that there isn't a big enough market for UK payware. That was certainly my experience a few years ago when I tried it.

Thought to Tony - if you have creator's at hand, have you thought about crowdfunding UK content? There might be enough of us prepared to pay enough to make that viable if we got a few exclusive versions or extra's thrown in.

Sadly I don't think Rumour3 uses Trainz anymore. He was working on various models including a Class 33, 47, 50 and 70, which were really good quality. I have tried to contact him various times but with no success.

He was viewing the forum on June 1st, 2020, so still around or at least reading the posts?

Good news about additional liveries.

Having seen the latest screenshots I'd buy it just for the cab to be honest - lovely job!

50040414242_c4ae1ec977_6k.jpg

😁

Last edited:
There was a payware one released by N3V for TS12 (I think) - basically the same one as released for Railworks by "He whose name shall not be mentioned" in BR green only.

Some of his RW models were very good, some less so, and the Class 14 fell into the latter category, although the cab was good.

There are multiple versions of the Class 14 on the DLS by TMZ06003 which are much better - bar the cab.

Oh right. I went looking at the DLC in the Steam Store and there is a Class 14 pack BUT I can't seem to select it or add it to my cart. I assume its just on the DLS now.

The DLS Class 14 is a mesh from Pikkabird which I completed and tmz06003 did the texturing AFAIR, it was years ago. The Payware version was never updated so it can’t be downloaded for the current Trainz programs.

Paul

Back