NV3 Next Generation Content

Thanks for replies. And for Tony's response as well. I was feeling pretty frustrated when I posted. I do feel that the advances made with TANE and TRS19 are being let down by the lack of quality content to go with the upgraded game engine. The situation for UK trainzers who want to model BR routes is fairly dire - most of the locos are 10 to 20 years old; for coaches, the Mk1s are 12 years old, the later Mk2s about the same and we never did get early Mk2s with 3D interiors. Same for Mk3. For first generation DMUs, only a small number of classes.

We offer primarily what we 3rd party content creators provide.

This seems like quite a passive attitude - it doesn't matter how good the game looks, we need to have trains to run in it! Couldn't N3V take a more proactive approach? ie. actively researching what content people would like and then trying to support/incentivise 3rd party creators to meet that demand?

Anthony's idea about crowd-funding new content seems like a good idea, I'd be up for it.

Paul

It all comes down to demand - is there a sufficient market for any new payware content that is specific to a particular region, time period and genre? Who would be prepared to spend the 100s of person-hours to create that content if the demand is limited to a very few enthusiasts who are prepared to pay - and how much would they be prepared to pay (supply-demand laws would dictate the cost per customer)?

N3V are a (very) small operation and do not create payware content themselves (AFAIK) and create little, if any, freeware. And as for paying for research????

My opinions.

Wow ! " It looks so reeeeeeal " as Sammy Sosa used to say for the High Heat 2001 baseball simulator.
Great screenshot

Isn't that an actual prototype shot? If not, can I have a copy of the post processing settings that arrived at that level of realism, please?!

Isn't that an actual prototype shot? If not, can I have a copy of the post processing settings that arrived at that level of realism, please?!

I am pretty sure I saw that on a TRS2004 screenshot years ago!

Well to be fair, not even Train Sim World offers quite that level of realistic appearance!

If there is a 'Green' era version of the Class 47 planned, note that I've developed some rolling headcode blinds that should work with any 4-character headcode loco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0lrehXlq4A

Also - it would be really a bummer if Rumour3 was finished with Trainz - he had a really stunning Class 31 model in the works, that would just look splendid in BR Green (and golden ochre!).

Last edited:
Well to be fair, not even Train Sim World offers quite that level of realistic appearance!

To be fair (with the right settings and importantly, the right content) Trainz has the potential to match or better the routes available with TSW - it is increasingly becoming common knowledge that DTG is in the market to churn out new routes and content as quickly as they can, often sacrificing detail and the quality/robustness of content. The WCRC 47 is already a noticeable bit more detailed than the WSR 47 in TSW. With a few well-placed TurfFX and trackside detail, Trainz can outdo TSW in my opinion. PBR has greatly leveled the playing field for Trainz - also a reason for which I predict that Train sim content creators will making their way to Trainz (hopefully) in the future. Who knows - maybe AP or BMG can make an appearance to satisfy the starvation of high quality "next generation" UK content.

Actually I've said before Ron, if N3V could get to it and put a decent activity/timetable editor in the sim, plus finally get automatic route setting for the player train they could bring over a lot of people from the other sims.

The other thing is a means of hard saving your post processing settings so once you hit the sweet spot, don't need to reinput every time - should be saved at the core game level.

On the subject of UK rolling stock, what's annoying is that we have some quite passable items still in terms of the 3D models but let down by the cabs and sounds - the Red Hen cab might have passed muster as an alias back in 2006 but not anymore. We also still have the issue of the UK SR EMU's being aliased to that illegally cloned sound set which means they show up as faulty and can't be placed. The 4 CIG is a bit dated now but most of the EPB's and SUB's are quite passable, if the original author(s) could update to a different sound set. The 4 VEP is an example of great contemporary freeware as is the newest Class 117 DMU which has a nice cab and sounds.

On the subject of UK rolling stock, what's annoying is that we have some quite passable items still in terms of the 3D models but let down by the cabs and sounds - the Red Hen cab might have passed muster as an alias back in 2006 but not anymore. We also still have the issue of the UK SR EMU's being aliased to that illegally cloned sound set which means they show up as faulty and can't be placed.

Hopefully we will see some more custom cabs to go with the content - in my opinion to create rolling stock without a cab interior to go with it will only satisfy the "model railway" aspect of the simulator. Interactive cabs are a lot of work, in some cases almost as intensive as the exterior itself, but it should generally be easier to work with since once you get the cab shell done it's a matter of using and reusing standard parts. Throttle, Davies & Metcalfe air brake and train brake, AWS bell, sunflower, AWS backhead equipment, etc. can all be reused in cabs once you have made them. The new 47 cab looks good.

Sounds - well I think our only cop-out is attracting Armstrong Powerhouse but with the inability to "officially" sell them there is not much hope there I presume. Maybe there will be an effort to record new sounds for the Class 47 and GWR DMU, that would be nice to hear. I've made Class 30 sounds from scratch for the original Mirrlees JVS12T engines fitted (before the whole class was re-engined to Cl 31), and preparing sounds is a tricky process.

Hi EverTrainz just inquiring if this asset freely available on DLS or for your private use? Video looks interesting.

Hello - I haven't yet uploaded the headcode blinds but they do require a fair bit of scriptwork on the loco - I am trying to think of a way in which the scripting can be handled by the asset itself, but it might be better-off performance wise if it was done on the loco itself.

To be fair (with the right settings and importantly, the right content) Trainz has the potential to match or better the routes available with TSW .... With a few well-placed TurfFX and trackside detail, Trainz can outdo TSW in my opinion. PBR has greatly leveled the playing field for Trainz - also a reason for which I predict that Train sim content creators will making their way to Trainz (hopefully) in the future. ...

Very true Ron, but without rolling stock we've got nothing to run through the beautifully prepared TurfFX and trackside detail on our gorgeously lit routes. No amount of PBR can make up for the absence of actual trains!

Paul

If one of the best known groups in UK creation get no joy with N3V, (PLL), then the prospects for others may not be the best.

Back