Bit of a dilemma..one for the experienced

valbridge

Rail Tragic
Here's the thing...
I have a 12 carr consist leaving London [Victoria] destined for Hastings via Lewes and Eastbourne.
On arrival at Lewes the rear 4 carrs need to be uncoupled and form a new service to Seaford Terminus. The front 8 carrs continue to Eastbourne. On arrival at Eastbourne Terminus the rear 4 carrs, again, need to be uncoupled to form a new service destined for Hastings.

This consist is AI controlled. Here is my q.
What driver commands are necessary to perform the function and ensure the new service after uncoupling will continue as mentioned above. Is it too complicated for AI?

This consist is not steam hauled but 3x 4VEP consist.
Would appreciate any comments on how to achieve.

Cheers,
Val.

Do all the commands for the whole route your train will take. At the drop off points use the uncouplez from command.
Drive to lewes, load
Uncouplez from 8
Post message Adair completed 1
Drive to next
You need a spare driver somewhere that can move to the remaining train at Lewes. Set up all the driver commands for that driver. Place a TM at the end of platform and use the "move to train at TM". Also use the "post message" and "wait for message and clear" commands
Spare Lewes driver
Wait for message and clear Adair completed 1
wait for 1 min (allow the other train to leave station unless the remaining part goes in opposite direction)
Move to train at Lewes TM
Drive to next

Cheers stagecoach,
Theses are new commands to me so there will be some degree of unfamiliarity.
Practice makes perfect huh. :)

Thanks for the tips.
Val.

Small clarification on the "Uncouplez from": When you open the menu, it shows a list of numbers, 0, 1, 2, and so on. If your engine (motor) is a diesel or electric, you uncouple the 0, and then this engine uncouples from the cars. If it is a steam engine with tender, you have to do the 1, so the engine does not separate from the tender. If, by you request or example, you have to uncouple the last four cars from the consist, you have to count how many cars are there from the engine taking into consideration that there is a 0 at the engine and first car (diesel/electric example). Play with this and it will make sense. It works quite well as explained in post #2. I do it all the time by AI with much more complex situations that what you requested: dropping cars that will go to other destinations with locomotives changing here and there. Use the Schedule Library for set paths so the main schedule does not get much longer than needed.

What I do is place a small section of invisible track near the station with a driveable male or car on it. Also place a TM (Spare ?) for the driver to return to. In the platform I place a TM at each end just outside the platform (TM ? and TM ?).
Set up the driver instructions in schedule library for the spare drivers.

The spare driver Lewes
Wait for message and clear Adair 0
Wait for 1min
Move to train at TM L2 (if travel is the same direction, TM L1 if train goes opposite direction)
Copy commands from library

The spare driver Eastbourne
Wait for message and clear Adair 1
Wait for 1min
Move to train at TM E2
Copy commands from library

Original train
Drive to Lewes
Load
Uncouplez from 7
post message Adair 0
Drive to Eastbourne
Load
Uncouplez from 3
Post message Adair 1
Drive to next

? letter or number of your choice.
It does not matter what driver name is used in the message as long as the post and wait for use the same name and number.

This can also work in reverse if you time the return right.
Spare B arrives at Eastbourne and move to train at TM Spare B
Original train couple at TM E2
Spare A arrives at Lewes and move to TM at Spare A
Original train couple at TM L2

Last edited:
Hi Val
Did you have any joy splitting your train with AI?

My apologies for not responding.
I think I'll need to practice a bit more before I get it right. Your instructions are quite straight forward but I am yet to successfully achieve desired result. Not beaten just delayed!

Thanks stagecoach...I think the 'coach' part of your name apt :)

Will keep you posted.

Back