Victorian Railway route recommendations

STLSF4003

Here's the low down. I'm looking any long, well detailed and preferably freeware routes that i can run VR steam and early diesel's on.

It don't even have to be a VR route, Just something close enough to do the job.

VR Goulburn Murray lines v3. ARTC Main South - VR North east and they'll even merge together. See freeware annoucements for details on finding errant deps.
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...rn-Murray-Lines-v3-Release&highlight=goulburn
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...MAIN-SOUTH-VR-NORTH-EAST-ROUTE&highlight=artc
cheers
Graeme
Many thanks Graeme!

Though given that i'm running the north american addition of 2019, i fear that most of the assets i'll be needing might be out of my reach. But i'm willing to give it a shot!

As they were built in TANE, you will probably find a few missing textures. My advice would be to find what you can, then delete missing assets and bulk replace the grid texture with one of your choice.
Graeme

VR Goulburn Murray lines v3. ARTC Main South - VR North east and they'll even merge together. See freeware annoucements for details on finding errant deps.
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...rn-Murray-Lines-v3-Release&highlight=goulburn
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...MAIN-SOUTH-VR-NORTH-EAST-ROUTE&highlight=artc
cheers
Graeme

And, if you are feeling especially adventurous, you can merge in <kuid:224165:1144> Wangaratta-Whitfield by ntesdorf

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

for some narrow gauge action. :D

Last edited:
And, if you are feeling especially adventurous, you can merge in <kuid:224165:1144> Wangaratta-Whitfield by ntesdorf

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

for some narrow gauge action. :D
How well does that route run in 19?
Cause i've tried a few of his other routes and they've been a little bit........off

Most of the older routes need some extra TLC in 19. Some could do with a full reno. It looks like Norm has swapped the track on the Wangaratta route. With 32gb RAM a lot more merging is possible with the routes available on the DLS
Graeme

Yup much TLC in TANE for the Wangaratta route before merging and then more TLC once I imported the entire thing into TRS19 (Performs much better in TANE) I usually try to match tracks, signals, crossings etc. where possible prior to merging.

Then i must be doing something wrong here, cause almost every route i've tried from him (including Wangaratta) have ended up with assets floating hundreds of feet off the ground
something-ain%27t-right-here.......jpg

And one more thing. Just how big is the download file for ARTC Main South - VR North? cause the download for that thing is creeping along like an overloaded coal drag!

Last edited:
How long. Dunno. This is a high speed run on the electrified version:

It takes about 17 minutes at a suicidal 70+mph. By my calculations that's about 20+ miles.

Anyway, try it if you like. All content is either built-in or from the Download Station. There ain't too many downloads to capture.

Phil

I'll give it a shot! It does look like a real nice route though. :)

By the way, do you have any plans on upgrading your old Port Ogden and Northern rout too 19/TANE standards?

Port Ogden & Northern. Funny you should ask. Earlier this morning I was thinking about that route and how difficult it would be to update to TRS19 standards.

Maybe it's not all that difficult. But certainly it would be extremely time consuming. I'd keep the basic track layout, though the yards would need considerable revision. TRS19 track. A full PBR 3D re-texture. TurfFX grasses. SpeedTrees. What to do with the AI -- which was one of the "features" of the original.

I'll think about it a while longer. The one thing I do like about Jim "Sniper" Ward's MSTS route was the way the scenery changed after passing through tunnels -- green forested areas to barren desert landscapes to ... .

Maybe I just need to pluck up some courage. I'll keep thinking.

Phil

I was wondering more about the Death Valley Line (a simpler line that hasn't been updated in 15 years now and shows up bare bones in TRS19)

There is a bug in TRS19 which causes older routes to behave like that - there is a thread somewhere describing the problem - and it is on a list of things to fix. The solution is to bring the route into TRS19 via TANE until patched.
For the OP, It would probably be a wise move to pick up TANE next time it's on sale. 2 more Aussie routes and it will have most of the missing deps for my VR routes. Not to mention the hundreds of TRS19 routes which were started in TANE and also rely on it for deps in 19. That's a problem I've now encountered in building the NSW South coast route.
cheers
Graeme

There is a bug in TRS19 which causes older routes to behave like that - there is a thread somewhere describing the problem - and it is on a list of things to fix. The solution is to bring the route into TRS19 via TANE until patched.
For the OP, It would probably be a wise move to pick up TANE next time it's on sale. 2 more Aussie routes and it will have most of the missing deps for my VR routes. Not to mention the hundreds of TRS19 routes which were started in TANE and also rely on it for deps in 19. That's a problem I've now encountered in building the NSW South coast route.
cheers
Graeme

It looks like TANE's $19.99 US right now on steam. Should i take a swing at it or wait for the sale? Also, How would i move that content form TANE to 19, or is that even possible?
There's also a bit of an issue with space on my system as i've got a few other large games installed along side TRS19.

Technically, you purchase Tane, but download the routes into TRS19 and use them there. All TANE builtins and deluxe/platinum DLC are available for install into TRS19.
Graeme

Technically, you purchase Tane, but download the routes into TRS19 and use them there. All TANE builtins and deluxe/platinum DLC are available for install into TRS19.
Graeme

So all i've gotta do is buy TANE, install it, transfer the content to TRS19 then uninstall TANE?

Back