Small Layout Plans.

I find CJF plans moderately useful if you scale the dimensions for TT (1:120) in Basemapz rather than OO (1:76). Even then there are many that just don't work, partly because of design and partly (as I alluded to in the TMR2 thread over in General) that certain elements of Trainz just don't work with compact layouts.

A French layout, I don't know the scale but may be H0.

Regards, Javier

marcy.jpg

Another French proposal from Loco Revue magazine, June 1991.
This delicious little layout (50x50 cm) I wanted to do years ago when I was doing 0e scale things.
In this case the scale is 0e 9mm, 40cm track approximately and I think it's good for Trainz.

Greetings, Javier

crad.jpg

crad2.jpg

crad3.jpg

crad4.jpg

The only problem with small layouts, particularly some of the old CJ Freezer plans from Railway Modeller, is that they don't always fit very well with the parts we have available in Trainz
Here almost a year later I'd like to add another thing which can cause wrinkles on really small layouts -
The other night I built to HO scale in actual size plan 10 from Kalmbach's old book 101 Track Plans, a 3ft by 6ft U-shaped trackplan with a small yard on one leg and 4 places to spot cars at industries on the other leg.
What I'm going to call the "10 meter rule" on turnout controls locking forced adding length, I think about 6 to 8 inches, to the layout so there would be enough space to get an 0-6-0 and 40ft car far enough past a couple of the turnouts to allow the turnouts to be thrown.

(Hey cool, the thread originated on June 20, my birthday) ;)

on30 --

You can change the trigger radius of the switches. Set it as small as you want, rather then leave at the default value.

Phil

on30 -- You can change the trigger radius of the switches. Set it as small as you want, rather then leave at the default value. Phil
Okay, thanks.
Now I gotta find where to do that.
Now having a couple endocrine and mitochondrial diseases which may or may not be messing with my memory on any given day can sometimes make these things, oh, lets say, somewhat interesting.

Okay, thanks.
Now I gotta find where to do that.
Now having a couple endocrine and mitochondrial diseases which may or may not be messing with my memory on any given day can sometimes make these things, oh, lets say, somewhat interesting.

In 'trackmark mode' in the 'tracks' tab, click on 'Advanced', that's where you'll find it.

I was sorting through some papers and I found this. A very simple '0' Gauge tinplate layout that would make use of some of the 1950s era tinplate accessories I have in my small collection. Judging by some of the other notes I'd made in the same notebook I sketched this out sometime in 2006.

0xrtAbr.jpg

I like the note about the village shops -> tinprinted sweet tins. :)

I have a small collection of them Forester and they always look good with old tinplate trains.

The ones by Silver Crane are the best in my opinion, but I do have others.

7Eg4W6w.jpg

Last edited:
Those are awesome! Here in the U.S. you might rarely see something like that around Christmas time, but it would be unusual. Any tins are usually of the flatter variety to hold whatever treats that come inside.

A lot of the members of the Hornby Railway Collectors Association used these tins to make their towns back when I was still an active member. People do actively collect tins that are in the shape of houses and shops and some of the more popular or more rare kinds of tins can be expensive to buy unless you shop around and keep your eyes open for a bargain. I was never a serious tin collector though and once I had enough to make a nice village I left off looking around for more tins.
The Christmas tins with snow and seasonal decorations are easy to find, but it's the ordinary non-seasonal ones that are the most useful for building village streets.

I've been thinking about what to do next and almost settled on an interurban style layout. This sort of thing:

55900002002467882483926.jpg

image063.jpg

Semi rural, semi urban.

I searched though a large number of track plans looking for something relatively small and manageable, and I'm surprised by the scarcity of plans that I could work from. If anyone has a suggestion?

If there is nothing better I may settle on this (though I do actually like this one):

Interurban%20plan-1.jpg

I also have to decide what to do with this layout:

The layout is complete but I've kept it back in case N3V needs a filler for the upcoming TMR2 (a concept that I'm only luke warm to, but understand the reasons behind it).

Phil

Baldwin interurban electrics, - what's not to like. I attempted to scratchbuild one in H0 scale a good many years ago now and the liking for them has stuck with me even though I've moved on into the Uk pre-grouping scene. I don't have any suggestions for sources of suitable track plans, but I do think the track plan you posted ticks a lot of boxes for what an interesting interurban line should look like.

I'm not all that sure about the new TMR2 either, but having a version with the new and updated assets that have been created since the original TMR2017 all together in a new release could be a good thing.

Phil,
I think that Chuck and Joe haven't been working an electric since TRS19 The Rivercide Electric Railroad Company. I was just out working with them on TRS19 The Krashnburne Railroad, having a wild time dodging all the freights continuously coming from both directions. They seemed very content working their first love, that of steam engines. They might be a little rusty on electrics. :hehe:

Then again, whatever route you make, I'm sure it will be really neat, and we would expect to see Chuck and Joe arrive, at the request of The Dispatcher.

Would you electrify the entire route shown above, if you chose to make that one? Or would you still have steam working the logging action?

Gary

Continued on from my Post #74 on the previous page.

This is "The Inspiration" for an Interurban layout :

Interurban%20plan-1.jpg

Despite numerous interruptions I've managed to get the track roughly into position, subject to modifications of course:

Interurban%20plan-2.jpg.jpg

There may be one or two similarities perhaps?

Laying the track might be time consuming but it's usually the easiest task. Next come the structures, the textures, the vegetation, ... , the eternal fiddling and changing. And this is where I generally have a crisis of confidence -- "Can I actually bring this to fruition?"

If anyone can Phil, you can! Your routes are models of model railroading, if you get the double meaning there!

Last edited:
Back