TurfX disappearing after zooming out?

ministerfarrigut

Owner of Keaton's Trainz
Hello! Apologies if the thread isn't in the right spot. I'm new to TurfX and I've watched as many tutorials as I think I need to, and I honestly love the feature. The only drawback is the fact that if I zoom out from walking mode, I can't see any grass in the area I was just in. Keep in mind, I'm right above the area. Any ideas, maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

*Pictures for reference.

Trainz_Railroad_Simulator_2019_6_18_2020_12_23_51_AM.png

close up.

Trainz_Railroad_Simulator_2019_6_18_2020_2_05_38_PM.png

zoomed out.

I've tried changing disperal, bunching, etc etc but can't seem to find the culprit. Maybe it's just my PC?

Edit: Also apologies for having a different location in the screenshot, but you get what I mean. There is Turfx all around the tracks and roads.

What are your display settings for the program?

It could be culling that's taking place to cut down on the load on the graphics card.

I keep my TurfFX grass no deeper than I would if I had used a spline or two. It's not worth wasting the GPU horsepower for something that can't be seen.

width-scale-near and width-scale-far, will control how far away you can see the grass, 1 0 0 0 I think is what you need can't remember in which one. but 0 in the first box = no grass close up.

The only drawback is the fact that if I zoom out from walking mode, I can't see any grass in the area I was just in. Keep in mind, I'm right above the area.

TurfX should be laid over a matching ground texture, except where you want it to appear sparse (and therefore not visible at a distance).

clam --

I've never been able to work out exactly what those four values do. I use 1 1 1 1 and it gives results like this:

TRS19_Krashnburne_12.jpg

TRS19_Krashnburne_15.jpg

Actually, to be perfectly honest, I don't fully understand what most of the parameters are. I've just settled on ones that seem to work best for me.

Phil

You can change the distance its visible at from just close to far off, which isn't very pretty as it goes dark.

Those 4 digits (the 1 1 1 1 Philskene mentioned) only define the geometry of the plant "blades" (leaves/stems/etc) at near ("width-scale-near") and far distances ("width-scale-far") according to the Wiki. I would not expect them to have any effect on when they vanish from the scene.

TurfX should be laid over a matching ground texture, except where you want it to appear sparse (and therefore not visible at a distance).

I will keep this in mind. I haven't really even figured out how to do the grass properly yet xD

As for the tip on the 1,1,1,0, I changed the zero to a 1 and it made a better result; see below.

Trainz_Railroad_Simulator_2019_6_19_2020_12_50_31_AM.png

Still not great, but its a definite improvement.

It'd be great to have recommendations for settings for grass from different people tbh, to have sort of a wide view of what works for people. I definitely need to watch more tutorials.

Now, my shader settings are at high, turfx and clutter have been enabled but not PBR. Shadows are at medium and 2048, texture detail is normal, post processing and water are at ultra, and antialiasing and detail update rate are at their lowest, JCitron. In game, draw distance is at full, texture detail at lowest, tree detail at highest, post processing at highest.

Back