Garden Railways

If you scroll down to Basingstoke Mark 2 then the section with the fiddle yard plan abstracts, you'll see what I mean...

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/i...heduke71000s-blog-basingstoke-in-oo-part-one/

Anyhow think I will gather the clippings again and have another go at a (maybe) slightly simplified version at aome point. Actually his original Basingstoke Mk1 would still be a significant challenge - the GCE O Level of TMR, Mk2 would be the A Level!

Talking of small model railways (real), my smallest was a loco shed diorama in a shoe box - which I had the temerity to take to a meeting of the local model engineering society. And they liked my scratch-built N scale coaches, which I took there in toothpaste tube boxes. Most members modelled in rather larger scales …

Ray

Sorry - wrong thread.

If you scroll down to Basingstoke Mark 2 then the section with the fiddle yard plan abstracts, you'll see what I mean...

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/i...heduke71000s-blog-basingstoke-in-oo-part-one/

Anyhow think I will gather the clippings again and have another go at a (maybe) slightly simplified version at some point. Actually his original Basingstoke Mk1 would still be a significant challenge - the GCE O Level of TMR, Mk2 would be the A Level!

Wow Vern that fiddle yard is insane! I am not a major station builder since I love country lines and minor railways and just looking at that plan makes my brain want to blue screen.

Wow Vern that fiddle yard is insane! I am not a major station builder since I love country lines and minor railways and just looking at that plan makes my brain want to blue screen.

Well I just finished assembling the 30+ individual jpegs into the finished article. Will run through Basemapz later and one thing is for certain - a layout that size doesn't require any further expansion! Some simplification of the track layout in the main station almost inevitable, primarily eliminating most of the slip points.

I wish you the very best of luck Vern.

Gonna need it...!

The Basemapz are up and running in Surveyor, making a start on the corner towards Battledown Flyover - unfortunately the model of that structure on the DLS is a bit too big so improvisation will need to take place. Assuming the project gets going fully, I'll start a dedicated thread in due course.

I've just found the original GMax meshes for my garden railway models - they were on an external hard drive - so I'm feeling happy!

Ray

That's good news Ray. I've been meaning to take a look at the garden railway models you uploaded, but I've been sleeping more lately so I haven't had had a chance yet.

Just uploaded Patio Grey Brick and Shed 8x6 (timber) to help set the scene. Two original models are having problems, Diverge Left and Diverge Right for creating diverging tracks, so at the moment tracklaying using the track base with log edge will only permit a ciontinuous track. The instructions are wrong, as well - so ignore them! The track bed is placed at ground level, and the track needs to be raised to sit on top. I will work on this. In the meantime, a ground level track is called for! I also need to make bases for stations etc. and to increase the size of other suitable models - bench, garden table, and so on.

At the time - and it was originally in TS2010 - these were just experiments and they've obviously needed some updating to T:ANE standards.

Ray

I've just spent some time learning how to use the Garden Railway track bed I made way back! Puzzled at first as although it was installed in T:ANE I couldn't find it in Surveyor. Then the penny dropped - it's classified as track ...

Laying track and making turnouts is simple.
1: Lay the track base as you would any other track, on its own layer. Raise it by up to 6m (Trainz). Create a turnout in the track bed. Delete the point lever which appears. Lock the layer.
2: On the route layer, lay the running tracks and create the turnout as normal. Raise by up to 6m. Move it onto the track bed to the desired position, adjusting as necessary. A pont lever will appear and applies to this running track.
And it's done! Just needs a little care to get the positions correct.
This track bed should take double track. If not, I'll make it wider. I'll try to improve the log edging. And my thoughts will turn to bases for stations, etc.
The use of layers is essential to prevent the running track from attaching to the track bed.

Ray

Last edited:
I have just uploaded a new version of my Garden Railway track base, named (imaginatively!) DDD GR Track base v2, <KUID2:275817:37356:2>

Unlike the previous version, it is placed at ground level and does not need raising, It is found in the track tab, and diverging tracks can be formed as with any other track.

Placing track on it remains the same: place the track beside the track base, then raise it to 6 metres (Trainz measuremant) and position it carefull over the base. Careful adjustment is needed. Sorry, but I can't think of any other way of doing it.

This track base will take double track. I am looking at quadruple track and a scenic section to link double to single.

Having now uploaded a number of scenic Garden Railway artefacts, I must consider where to go now. In other words, do I continue to increase more of my scenic assets by 2200% or go back to making 1:76 scale virtual model railways?

Ray

No shame, Annie - keep on creating!There are certainly a few more track base items in the pipeline. It's just a question of how far to go.

I've just lost one almost complete 1:76 layout - it just vanished and left a solitary loco sitting in the middle of an empty baseboard. Fortunately I had made a CDP before the last couple of hours work, so it can be restored.

Ray

My on-line copy of RM has just arrived and there's a very nice 16mm scale garden railway featured on pages 598-605. The Tumbledown and Dingledale Light Railway is the delightful name of the line.

There's some earlier articles about aspects of construction of the railway in the June and July issues.

Back