Working with Wine on Linux Mint 19 and Trainz

After reading your comments on Steam regarding TRS19 recently I did try running a proven (installed on Win 10) newly downloaded non-Steam version of TRS19 on Steam-Proton but couldn't even get it to load let alone run so will read this article with interest. Likewise even with the latest Wine I didn't get very far either. Peter

Update: Well after a few evenings tinkering with Linux, Steam and Trains I'm still no further forward. I have TRS19 running poorly on Wine 6.11, but it does load much faster than Win 10 which perhaps is a wasted bonus however Content Manager while loading remains unusable.

Steam with Proton/Proton Egg Roll for some reason cannot/will not open TRS19.exe which seem quite odd as it will open with Wine but I shall keep trying if only for the change of frustration from Trainz. Peter

Usually such things indicate missing mesa components, gstreamer or graphic driver things. Especially the gstreamer stuff responsible for media playback with all the non-free codec thinges usually need to be installed separately. As I am on Fedora which only delivers the really free stuff I also activate additional repositories via RPMfusion. This has many additional things that are a bit questionable from a legal perspective.
For mesa related things I only fire up the package manager and select all nice sounding packages (except the DEV ones unless I know I need them).
And graphic driver related - for me it's RADV for my AMD card. If it can run Vulkan demos then you should be fine.

There is a short cut that can make your life easier: Get the phoronix-test-suite and make it install a few graphic tests. The fun part is, this test suite will ask you if it shall download the missing components so you only need to confirm. For the VERY LAZY people - that are usually pretty creative - they just look up a nice test case from openbenchmarking.org and load that test case to their PC and run it. Everything will be installed automatically. Picking a random result, simply try to run
Code:
[B]phoronix-test-suite benchmark 2107064-IB-UNIGINELA50[/B]

and it will download and try to run 3 Unigine test cases and then compare your result with those already uploaded to the site. There are also test cases for some steam games (if you own those games). Check Openbenchmarking,org for details.

The variety of linux flavors also contains lots of complexity. I can only say for fedora as this is the one I use.
Don't give up yet. The fun only begins once you got the basics running!
Lockheed

Last edited:
Back