Working with Wine on Linux Mint 19 and Trainz

Time for a spontaneos update as linux got steam client updated to Proton 5.13-1:
TRS19 works! Even the Manage Content. It's very playable even without modifying any setting. Wonderful! :D
TANE seems to have issues though but - heh - time to update to something modern xD

Need to try standalone wine staging later and update here.
Lockheed
Edit: correction required: using Proton-5.9-GE-8-ST release rather than stock 5.13.-1. I forgot I had the custom release installed and active for TRS19 xD
You can grab it from here https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom also has easy understandable install instructions.

Last edited:
'lockheed02' that sounds very interesting considering up to now I've only ever been successful with up to TS12. Is Proton only usable through Steam or can it be installed directly via command line within the likes of Ubuntu, Mint etc. What sort of hardware are you using and have you had the opportunity to compare Trainz performance against Windows with the same. I've found that with TS2010 there was little noticeable difference whereas TS12 was more sluggish. I will follow with interest, next year is rebuild/new computer time will I really be able to dump Windows as I have for practically everything else? Peter

'lockheed02' that sounds very interesting considering up to now I've only ever been successful with up to TS12. Is Proton only usable through Steam or can it be installed directly via command line within the likes of Ubuntu, Mint etc. What sort of hardware are you using and have you had the opportunity to compare Trainz performance against Windows with the same. I've found that with TS2010 there was little noticeable difference whereas TS12 was more sluggish. I will follow with interest, next year is rebuild/new computer time will I really be able to dump Windows as I have for practically everything else? Peter

You can always give it a try with latest Wine Staging, PlayOnLinux/Crossover or various configs using Lutris. But I got lazy lately and only try default wine staging - less successful. I keep trying with steam as that would cover majority of users. Well --- once it works with default proton release. Using the alternate proton was more a tryout with happy result. However - any way to make it work in linux is a success for me. Any I might create my next session in linux right from the beginning ...
Lockheed

WINE is cool, but it brings so much overhead with it that rarely is it worth it if you are just looking for better performance than on Windows. I do wish that they would make a linux version of Trainz: it would more than likely be so much faster that Windows.

WINE is cool, but it brings so much overhead with it that rarely is it worth it if you are just looking for better performance than on Windows. I do wish that they would make a linux version of Trainz: it would more than likely be so much faster that Windows.

OOOkay .... I got drunk, installed "Peek", fired up Steam with the "Proton-5-9-GE-8-ST" active for TRS19 and simply recorded in mp4. Not messed with any setting. Best regards to Kaz who you can hear in background because his stream on twitch was playing simultaneously and I forgot to mute/turn himm off. (video posted with his permission)

mp4 file is on my dropbox at https://www.dropbox.com/s/kp9f1cmhkbp6wzn/Peek 2020-11-17 21-29.mp4?dl=0

I need more beer

Lockheed

PS: I think default recording settings are at 10 fps or so. anyway - Moving cam is TOO fast. and key presses to switch to cab/chase mode didn't work (due to recording?). Anyway ... it QUITE performant on my system!

PPS: I should try an optimized recording. just see it as ... "trying to screen capture TRS19 in Fedora 31 proof of concept" xD

*runs off to fridge*

I have been doing Linux professionally since early 91/92 (Xenix) until March of this year when I retired. Love it and still work with it from time to time. As a matter of face, I just finished converting some VMware Linux systems over to Hyper-V just because. Wine was never my thing. Yes, I've tried it a few times, but didn't enjoy it and really didn't have a need for it. My work PC was CentOS and I had all the tools to work with the corporate crowd that was still chained to Windoze. I had converted a few to Linux and Management was interested in cutting everyone over to it, but the Doctors and nurses weren't having any part of that.

Unfortunately, all the games I enjoy are windoze based so I still have it running. Good to hear you're having success with the Trainz port. Maybe someday we will all be on Linux.

Unfortunately, all the games I enjoy are windoze based so I still have it running. Good to hear you're having success with the Trainz port. Maybe someday we will all be on Linux.

my only games I play on Windows: Run8, TRS19 (at the moment), Zusi (game itself works in linux, just install not (yet), workaround exists but I'm too lazy to try that) and .... uhm ....

my (train-) games playable in Linux: Thief, ESTWSim, TSW, Train Simulator series, Maszyna, LokSim3D, A-Train 9 V4.0
Lockheed

PS: yesyes, Thief is not a train game but was one of my MUST HAVE IN LINUX - games!

Trainz is the only reason that I run Windows. Everything else that I do is on Linux. As soon as a Linux version of Trainz is available, I will be ecstatically deleting Windows.

I think I missed a few things last night so here is the rest:

System spec via
Code:
 $ phoronix-test-suite system-info

System Information

PROCESSOR: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core @ 3.60GHz
Core Count: 8
Thread Count: 16
Extensions: SSE 4.2 + AVX2 + AVX + RDRAND + FSGSBASE
Cache Size: 512 KB
Microcode: 0x8701021
Scaling Driver: acpi-cpufreq ondemand

GRAPHICS: AMD Radeon RX 5600 OEM/5600 XT / 5700/5700 8GB
Frequency: 1800/875MHz
OpenGL: 4.5 Mesa 19.2.8 (LLVM 9.0.1)
Vulkan: 1.1.107
OpenCL: OpenCL 1.1 Mesa 19.2.8
+ OpenCL 1.2 pocl 1.5-pre RelWithDebInfo LLVM 9.0.0 RELOC SLEEF DISTRO POCL_DEBUG
Display Driver: amdgpu 19.1.0
Monitor: EV2336W + MD20246
Screen: 3520x1080

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS
BIOS Version: 2802
Chipset: AMD Starship/Matisse
Audio: AMD Navi 10 HDMI Audio
Network: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411

MEMORY: 32768MB

DISK: 1024GB Samsung SSD 970 PRO 1TB
+ 2 x 500GB Samsung SSD 860
+ 1000GB Western Digital WD1002FAEX-0
+ 3001GB Hitachi HDS72303
+ 8GB USB Flash Drive
File-System: ext4
Mount Options: relatime rw seclabel
Disk Scheduler: NONE

OPERATING SYSTEM: Fedora 31
Kernel: 5.8.18-100.fc31.x86_64 (x86_64)
Desktop: GNOME Shell 3.34.5
Display Server: X Server 1.20.6 + Wayland
Compiler: GCC 9.3.1 20200408
Security: SELinux
+ itlb_multihit: Not affected
+ l1tf: Not affected
+ mds: Not affected
+ meltdown: Not affected
+ spec_store_bypass: Mitigation of SSB disabled via prctl and seccomp
+ spectre_v1: Mitigation of usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
+ spectre_v2: Mitigation of Full AMD retpoline IBPB: conditional STIBP: conditional RSB filling
+ srbds: Not affected
+ tsx_async_abort: Not affected

The GE-Proton you also can run outside steam using lutris to manage stuff. check the install manual from their home page.

Also I just noticed the GE-Proton has a new release: Proton-5.21-GE-1 from yesterday with these little game fixes

Game Fixes:

• Wine esync+fsync rebased onto current wine 5.21 upstream git.
  • The Outer Worlds should be fully playable
  • Serious Sam 4 flicker has been fixed, Launching Vulkan on Nvidia also fixed. Vulkan should now work on NV and AMD.
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator now working
  • Ghostrunner should be fully playable
  • CoD: WWII + Multiplayer + Zombies should be fully playable
  • CoD: Infinite Warfare + Zombies should be fully playable
  • CoD: Modern Warfare Remastered should be fully playable
  • Soul Calibur VI no longer freezes at the main menu, should be fully playable
  • Borderlands 3 should be fully playable (including Markus intro)
  • Seven: Days Long Gone Enhanced Edition should be fully playable
  • Killer Instinct should be fully playable
  • Long Loading on Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor - Martyr fixed
  • Horizon Zero Dawn and Death Stranding OOM crashes should now be fixed
  • Baldur's Gate Vulkan renderer should work without issues now. (On AMD you will need the latest mesa drivers)
  • Skyrim Script Extender patch added - this should hopefully fix remaining issues with skse64 (untested but it does run)
  • Should contain most of the fixes from Proton-5.13 from Valve, if something is missing let me know in discord.

oh - and the screen recording from the video I mentioned earlier doesn't have any audio recorded. I guess I was hearing voices from elsewhere :p
I shall do a new video with proton 5-12-GE and more fps later today.
in regards performance the GE was faster than Windows (again - not played with any settings) while all others were between unplayable slow and not working at all.
Lockheed

Last edited:
Proton-6.0-GE-1 has been released

Glorious Eggroll 1 for Proton 6.0 is out.
Install manual and package to add to your steam is available on their site at https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom/releases/tag/6.0-GE-1

couldn't see any big regressions. Content Manager still misses font so it's pretty unusable despite the rest seem to work (right-click context menu or menu items). Still trying to find out if it's only a thing on my end. Aside that the game is really playable with this :)
Lockheed

I've been considering giving this a try since I would like to switch off Windows. Is Proton something specific to Steam? I don't own a Steam copy of TRS19 since they are quite limited in nature compared to the ones from N3V's website. I would prefer to not have to worry about creating a kernel level VM just to play Trainz.

Kind regards,
GDennish

Proton is a spin-off of the wine project.Many contribute to there, many use it as base. So you could even make your own custom version if you want. However, Proton is mainly driven by Valve with the aim to make as many Windows game playable in linux as possible.
They call it "steam play". Proton is developed separately so you can grab it as stand alone pack (e.g. for testing) and compile it yourself. You can ask N3V if they give you a free steam copy so you can give it a try. Worked for me :)
There are some fully supported games where proton is equal to windows performance and many compatible games that are tested by community (check protondb.com as their database). For example "Thief" was one of my Windows-only games that now is fully playable in linux.

The Glorious Eggroll is one of the custom proton variants. You can install that additionally to proton in steam and select per game which "compatibility" too to use.
And then there is Lutis, that -among others - also supports the GE variants (not tried that myself yet but that's on my to-do-list). Here the aim would be to use the regular stand-alone copy of TRS19. Or any other game.
Lockheed

Status of Linux in TANE and TRS19

Now as some more Proton Experimental patches arrived at Steam Beta client, I thought I fired another test round of Trainz in Linux.

T:ANE
Game works, is pretty performant! Mangohud reports a max frame rate lock at 30fps via DXVK. Even hosting multiplayer works!
The only thing I notice is missing font in Content Manager and Content Store but this seems to be gfx driver related*
Content Manager operation works with workaround.

TRS19
Game works, is pretty performant! Mangohud reports a max frame rate lock at 200fps via DXVK. Even hosting multiplayer works!
The only thing I notice is missing font in Content Manager and Content Store but this seems to be gfx driver related*
Content Manager and Content Store operation works with workaround.

So there is no need for additional "compatibility tools" anymore.
Lockheed

Software environment:
TRS19 build: 111952
Steam build Apr 2 2021 21:43:05, package version 1617402021
"Fedora release 33 (Thirty Three)" (64 bit)
Kernel Name: Linux
Kernel Version: 5.11.11-200.fc33.x86_64
Driver: AMD AMD Radeon RX 5700 (NAVI10, DRM 3.40.0, 5.11.11-200.fc33.x86_64, LLVM 11.0.0)
Driver Version: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 20.3.5
OpenGL Version: 4.6
Renderer: "AMD RADV NAVI10 (ACO)"

* workaround: push the window out of screen and back in and content is shown mostly correctly. However, might be only on my end.

Last edited:
Interesting news! The thought of dumping Microsoft is appealing. Especially since I haven't been able to run some old games on Win10.
I didn't think that graphics intensive PC software could be run in an emulator. It's been years since I've installed Debian on a system.
Has anyone tried running Tranzdem in an emulator? Thanks.

I would thoroughly enjoy being able to use a non windows platform instead having play under all OS heavy weight and plethora of so many sub Functions I just get dizzy thinking about it.....

I'm an old Geek from Tandy TI -99 CPU (1970's) with Basic if I recall, then on to DOS 2.0 (1985 ?) long before Windows was born....KISS Philosophy if your reading my lines........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6VjsVwRXYk&t=691s

Thank you for the updates folks........

Z

I'm a while already on running both platforms with the game. While steam was working fin already for quite some time, it now gets an official tag. I still have an hiccup here and there but that's probably only due to causes on my end.
Lockheed

PS: just on a side note, many recent games do work in linux/steam. Currently I'm playing Pathfinder in Epic via lutris. I personally give it an platinum rating as it works perfectly. On the other side, still waiting for 2 other games to be working in linux (I mean without using a VM or quirky hacks).

Non-Steam TRS19 via Steam

btw, in case you want to try your non-steam games with steam as well and utilize the proton "compatibility" tools that is supports, have a look at this: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/14552

my steam version misses some DLCs as it was for testing only but the stand-alone version has them all. So I can run that through steam (while stock wine still fails on me for some reason). In steam I use Egg Roll version of Proton for non-steam TRS19.
Lockheed

Back