Seaton LSWR, Devon. More or less.

The original station building certainly is better looking than that Art Deco thing the Southern Railway built. I searched all over the internet looking for images of the original station and found nothing so I am very grateful for the photo you posted Stagecoach.

And thank you too for the link to the photos of the model station John. It's nice to see that I have got everything more or less in the right place, but now that I've seen what it should be like with the original buildings I am a bit disappointed since the buildings I ended up having to use are only really make do placeholders at best. BUT don't worry I'm not going to get all sad and depressed and delete my Seaton model. I am going to make some small changes here and there, but my model will largely remain the same. The topic title at the top of the page is 'Seaton LSWR, Devon more or less' and the layout when it's uploaded will have the same name.

I just now tried Goggle searching again with the same keywords as I used before and suddenly there's lot's of stuff about Seaton. I'm feeling a bit upset, - perhaps I need to take a tablet.

0luZyg4.jpg

Last edited:
I did some further work on Seaton in light of the new information that's become available and this is the result. It's still a more or less representation done with what is available, but at least things are a lot closer to being in the right place now.

gjAATix.jpg

hsIsYQS.jpg

I have finally managed to complete the proper backscenes for Seaton. I've had a patch of being more sleepy than usual so it's been very slow going getting these done. Thanks to Ray's very generous licence I was able to use parts of his backscenes as a basis and modified, redrew and blended things until they ended up how I wanted.
Seaton is inching towards just about being done so hopefully it won't be too long a wait before I upload it.

PS6Krce.jpg

tNXAJ9F.jpg

Really nice.And I'm pleased that you found parts of my backscenes useful - Sheringham Hall in North Norfolk is not very close to Seaton in Sputh Devon!

Every time I see your screenshots I try to zoom around as I would in Surveyor - then I realise!

Ray

You do that too Ray. I sometimes find myself trying to go into screenshots like I would in Surveyor as well.

I'm pleased with how the backscenes turned out. It was a bit of a mission getting the two backscenes that form a corner behind the station yard to match up properly and getting the perspective right on the road that disappears into the backscene took a few attempts, but I think it is well worth it.
The old brick shed I added to the backscene is my nod towards the gasworks that was next door to the station. There was a yard with a number of brick buildings next to the station and then the gasworks itself was next door to that yard. I'm claiming that the gasworks is too far away to be seen since I have zero interest in drawing a distant view of a gasworks on the backscene.

Seaton has had a hidden secret for a while now. I've never shown screenshots of the wall opposite Seaton and now I can do a reveal.

This is 'Pennyworth' and I built it as a way to prove that a workable layout can be made with the 'O' gauge tinplate track assets on the DLS and also because I want to try out some ideas for when I make a start on doing something with Graham's basic 'Minories' layout. It's an Easter egg if you like, - an added bonus. It can be treated as part of the room's scenery and furnishings, - or you could play trains with it. It's a fully working layout so it's very useable.

My first attempt at an Easter egg layout was done in Broad Gauge and had wagon turntables and a shunting horse, but I thought that might be a bit esoteric for some Trainz folk. I still have that version, but it needs some finishing off work.

I'm going to call Seaton complete now, - so once I've uploaded a few more dependencies I'll be uploading Seaton itself.

Edit: I almost forgot to place a bus on the bridge.

s3IUcpa.jpg

PtGEzRg.jpg

b7KDjF1.jpg

I didn't use the tinplate pointwork models in the fiddleyard since it's a bit too compact for their geometry and three way points were essential. This all works fine too.

ZwjENbm.jpg

Last edited:
Seaton has had a hidden secret for a while now. I've never shown screenshots of the wall opposite Seaton and now I can do a reveal.

Coincidences only happen by chance! Looking at my latest 1:76 layout, Bittlesey, yesterday I thought about the vast empty space in the room (ie. on the baseboard) and began building an urban terminus on the opposite wall - stil 1:76, 00 scale.

I love your tinplate layout - makes me wish I was a boy again. Is the bridge screening the entrance to the fiddle yard available on the DLS? I've been experimenting with ways to do this.

Ray

Your

Thanks Ray, I had a lot of fun building it and it's quite a fun little layout to operate.

The bridge is on the DLS, - I had to be soooo careful to make sure I only used DLS assets since I have model assets from just about everywhere installed in TS2012. It's a nice bridge and something a little different from the usual.

Stone bridge <kuid2:82763:1012:1> and there's a variation with a steel deck: Stone Bridge With Steel Bed <kuid2:82763:1015:1>

Plainly you were thinking along the same lines as me (excuse the pun). If a model railway enthusiast had some share space in their model railway room/shed you can bet anything you like that another layout would get built to fill the empty space.

Thanks for that, Annie. I've just spent some time learning how to use my own Garden Railway track bed - it's a lot easier than I thought! More on the appropriate thread.

My virtual model railway set in France uses assets from several excellent French creators' own web sites - not on the DLS. And I was so proud of it. I may just publish some screenshots.

Ray

I think you'll like it Ray it's a very nice bridge.

I have determined after a number of frustrating experiments that the Trainz AI cannot handle a layout like Pennyworth. I don't want to use Trainz AI on Pennyworth, - I was only curious to see if it was possible and now I can tell you it's not. I was using my own test version of Seaton for the experiment so the actual layout that will be upload during the next couple of days wasn't harmed.

It's down to final testing now with Seaton to make sure everything works properly, but I have given some thought to making the Easter egg layout 'Pennyworth' into a full sized layout in it's own shed/railway room.

This is a test version I put together to try out the idea. Still very much 3 rail 'O' gauge in inspiration because I happen to like that sort of thing.
I will be starting a new topic for 'Pennyworth', but not until I have Seaton uploaded to the DLS.

xYsbkAT.jpg

QlmygIM.jpg

Sorry to be "dumb" - but what exactly is an "Easter Egg" layout?

Cyril Freeze once remarked that a true enthusiast would be quite happy running a train of tennis balls - provided it followed all the rules and obeyed all the signals.

I have often pondered on the idea ...

Ray

Sorry to be "dumb" - but what exactly is an "Easter Egg" layout?

Cyril Freeze once remarked that a true enthusiast would be quite happy running a train of tennis balls - provided it followed all the rules and obeyed all the signals.

I have often pondered on the idea ...

Ray

What I mean by 'Easter egg' layout Ray is that 'Pennyworth' is a bonus layout in the same room/shed as 'Seaton'. It can be treated as just being scenery in the room, or it can be operated according to the downloader's fancy since it is a working layout. I won't specifically mention that 'Pennyworth' is in the same room as 'Seaton' in the description so it will be an unexpected surprise (except to those who have read this post) rather like suddenly finding an Easter egg.

Thanks, Annie. I've been doing that for the past few days with Bittlesey on one side of the room and Priory Gardens on the other. Bittlesey is a very small terminus in a pleasant rural area, whereas Priory Gardens is a suburban terminus in a somewhat deprived area - not a bit of greenery to be seen. Both ready for final testing.

Sorry for causing you to "spill the beans" to those who follow this thread.

Ray

It's alright Ray I haven't exactly been keeping 'Pennyworth' hidden away in this topic.

In latest news I rebuilt 'Pennyworth's' fiddle yard with some of Pencil's excellent track and laid a conductor rail so it resembles the style of coarse scale 'O' gauge track that was often used on 'O' gauge layouts built before WW2. Thank you very much for making your Metro conductor rail Ray as it was perfect for doing this.
I love the tinplate track, but it can't be shaped very well into curves so the only way to make a neat and workable job of Pennyworth's fiddle yard was to relay it with a much more flexible type of trackwork.

752y5VS.jpg

And after fretting and wringing my hands over whether or not 'Seaton' is good enough I decided that it's finished now and I'll upload it later today.

QcsMVwg.jpg

My metro conductor rail must pop up in some odd places (45,065 downloads!)

Seaton is truly lovely. Well done on completing it. It's always such a temptation to add just that little bit extra. Maybe I ought to turn my attention to a genuine small prototype - I've got one in mind - after my current projects (which I keep flipping between like a butterfly) are finished.

Ray

Last edited:
My metro conductor rail must pop up in some odd places (45,065 downloads!)

Seaton is truly lovely. Well done on completing it. It's always such a temptation to add just that little bit extra. Maybe I ought to turn my attention to a genuine small prototype - I've got one in mind - after my current projects (which I keep flipping between like a butterfly) are finished.

Ray

Thanks very much Ray. I did an install of Seaton into a clean copy of TS2012 and I've got three odd little bugs to sort out and then I'll be good to go with uploading it. Yes I had to stand back and say to myself, 'It's done, it's complete now', and not do any more 'little bits extra' to it. It's always a temptation, but I guess there's a point with anything creative where it's time to stop and not do any more.

Your Metro conductor rail is the only conductor rail available outside of TANE and TS2019 so it's not surprising that it's been downloaded so often. I found it really nice to use too.

Last edited:
Back