Seaton LSWR, Devon. More or less.

Thanks Vern. I built up a 40 odd mile long GER Norfolk route that I really like and wouldn't part with, but having on a whim decided to tryout building traditional BLT layouts in TMR I have to say I'm having a lot of fun with the format. Sometimes small and simple is best and as someone who likes shunting working a basic timetable at a small county terminus can get to be quite absorbing especially when there's the odd quirk with the track layout.

I still have a few odd things I need to finish with Seaton before I upload it, but it won't be too much longer.

It's probably not a bad idea to keep a couple of model projects on the go, in addition to any prototype routes. So when you get fed up with plonking down endless fields or northern arboreal forests, you can take a nice change of pace.

Annie - I have just tried the sector plate in TS12 and it worked without problems. This would be a useful space saver in a virtual model railway fiddle yard, and I will give it a go. However, I'm not sure about using it on a scenic area like a station as it would be very difficult to match the texture of the large rectangle surrounding it. I have tried many from the TS12 palette and the closest seems to be Ballast 18 - but by no means perfect.

Ray

Well Annie I have tried your setup in both TANE (build 105930) and TRS2019 (build 105096) and both work perfectly with no problems whatsoever. Perhaps try re downloading the sector plate to see if that helps.

Annie - I have just tried the sector plate in TS12 and it worked without problems. This would be a useful space saver in a virtual model railway fiddle yard, and I will give it a go. However, I'm not sure about using it on a scenic area like a station as it would be very difficult to match the texture of the large rectangle surrounding it. I have tried many from the TS12 palette and the closest seems to be Ballast 18 - but by no means perfect.

Ray

I tried it again John and couldn't get all four of the tracks to join onto the sector plate reliably. I'll try downloading the sector plate again and see if that makes a difference. It's certainly very puzzling, but with it being the only sector plate available for Trainz I would really like to get it to work.

More than likely that base texture is something long obsolete from TS2004 Ray. In a fiddle yard it doesn't matter, but used on a scenic part of a layout it would stick out like a sore thumb. Used on a layout that isn't going to be uploaded it would be fairly simple to change the texture, but for anything going to the DLS it would be a problem.

Last edited:
It seems that at its height, in the holiday season Seaton's platform could accommodate trains of ten coaches - I can see why the published plan was shortened to three coaches! I presume this was before the actual platform was shortened.

After the station closed in 1966, Claude Lane brought his one half or two thirds trams from Eastbourne and opened the 2' 9" gauge tramway to Colyton. Most of the fourteen trams were built by Mr. Lane.

I had some fun adding more scenery to the TRS2004 depiction - one of my first route downloads.

Ray

Ten coaches! My short 1889 platform can manage two bogie coaches and a van at a pinch, but in 1889 it would have been 4 and 6 wheel coaches since there were no bogies coaches then. There's no LSWR 4 and 6 wheel coaches for Trainz so I can feel a reskin project coming on.
I'll have to have a look for the Seaton tramway layout now that you've caught my interest Ray.

And here's the latest lot of screenshots from Seaton. It's only the issue with the sector plate that's holding things up now.

B7xivrV.jpg

M3L8QBE.jpg

z14mKZN.jpg

W6ENCAi.jpg

XQqJgEy.jpg

Last edited:
It's really coming on nicely, Annie. I've just transferred my current layout to T:ANE as TS12 kept refusing to place any locos on the track: Only one problem with the transfer, a lowered baseboard had shot up to normal level - but otherwise OK apart from a few missing dependencies (mainly mine!).

I like the picture on the wall - sets the atmosphere nicely.

By the way, the tea pot is ready for you!

Ray

There is another Segmentdrehscheibe on the DLS by Gerd
It might not be suitable because it is 15deg segments

<kuid2:72730:28015:3> Segmentdrehscheibe 23m

It's really coming on nicely, Annie. I've just transferred my current layout to T:ANE as TS12 kept refusing to place any locos on the track: Only one problem with the transfer, a lowered baseboard had shot up to normal level - but otherwise OK apart from a few missing dependencies (mainly mine!).

That's a strange one that I've not seen before with locos not being able to be placed on the track Ray. Heights of things changing I've seen before, but not refusing locos.

I like the picture on the wall - sets the atmosphere nicely.

By the way, the tea pot is ready for you!

Ray

With my interest in the Broad Gauge I thought I'd put some old framed photos up on the wall. I might do some others yet to add to the range of pictures available.

Yay! A tea pot at last! Thanks very much Ray.

There is another Segmentdrehscheibe on the DLS by Gerd
It might not be suitable because it is 15deg segments

<kuid2:72730:28015:3> Segmentdrehscheibe 23m

Thanks. Perhaps that one might not be useful for what I want Graham, but it might well be handy for somewhere else later one.

What a magnificent name, - 'Segmentdrehscheibe'. German changes the ordinary to become impressive.

That 15 degree sector plate had missing dependencies that aren't available anywhere on the planet so I've updated it to TS2012 3.5 and changed the missing track for the same kind skipper used with his Branchline Turntable <kuid2:116296:36665:1>. The other missing dependency was some kind of shelter so I removed it entirely with no ill effects. The terms of the licence permit me to upload my updated version so I'll do that once I've had a chance to test it properly.
The 16m Segmentdrehscheibe's licence seems to be agreeable to being updated (thanks Google Translate) and if I can't get any joy out of it I'll update that too.

gWWPjGY.jpg

Last edited:
Annie, as you wrote previously, you could use a small turntable. I can think of two precedents of using a turntable as a sector plate on the Isle of Wight at Ventnor and Bembridge. After grouping the Southern Railway replaced the Ventnor one with a conventional point as there was just enough room. At Bembridge there was insufficient room but they did manage to replace the 16ft one with a 25ft one on which an O2 just fitted.

As regards the missing dependencies I don't know why you are having problems. I downloaded it yesterday and it came complete with the DS Kontrollhaus and the gt invisible track blue from the DLS. In fact you have to alter the config file for the control house to show up.

As a matter of interest I tried altering a turntable to just have two points (0 and 30 in this case) but it was not a success as after the first stop at 30 degrees it then went into a continuous rotation like the alleged one on the Settle and Carlisle line in a storm!

Last edited:
I live not far from Seaton and I just want to clear up a small point. The Seaton Tramway station is not the location of the railway station.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...8773C&selectedindex=16&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&sim=11
The station was located further east near the river, you can still see the outlines (on google earth) on the west side of the boat yard with the road junction still in existence. The tramway turns away from the old rail track at the point the new tram sheds are built.

Last edited:
The 16m Segmentdrehscheibe's licence seems to be agreeable to being updated (thanks Google Translate) and if I can't get any joy out of it I'll update that too.
Paste the licence for the Segmentdrehscheibe hier and I'll let you know what it says. After 30 years in Germany I should be able to manage that...

Paul

I live not far from Seaton and I just want to clear up a small point. The Seaton Tramway station is not the location of the railway station.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...8773C&selectedindex=16&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&sim=11
The station was located further east near the river, you can still see the outlines (on google earth) on the west side of the boat yard with the road junction still in existence. The tramway turns away from the old rail track at the point the new tram sheds are built.

Yes the SR built station was demolished after the closure of the branch I believe and as you say the tramway station is on a different site. Despite much searching I cannot find any pictures of the LSWR built station and station yard. The SR made substantial changes to Seaton station including demolishing the old LSWR built station, moving the engine shed and lengthening and widening the platforms.

Annie, as you wrote previously, you could use a small turntable. I can think of two precedents of using a turntable as a sector plate on the Isle of Wight at Ventnor and Bembridge. After grouping the Southern Railway replaced the Ventnor one with a conventional point as there was just enough room. At Bembridge there was insufficient room but they did manage to replace the 16ft one with a 25ft one on which an O2 just fitted.

As regards the missing dependencies I don't know why you are having problems. I downloaded it yesterday and it came complete with the DS Kontrollhaus and the gt invisible track blue from the DLS. In fact you have to alter the config file for the control house to show up.

As a matter of interest I tried altering a turntable to just have two points (0 and 30 in this case) but it was not a success as after the first stop at 30 degrees it then went into a continuous rotation like the alleged one on the Settle and Carlisle line in a storm!

I think the Segmentdrehscheibe just hate me John. Anyway I've had enough of them and Seaton now has a standard run round loop in its fiddle yard.
I have used small turntables as sector plates before and they work fine. I used one on Walkley Sidings for that purpose. Seaton has a bit more real estate in its fiddle yard so it was no problem to lay track for an adequate sized run round loop.
The small turntables at Ventnor and Bembridge are iconic for using a turntable as a sector plate, but the problem in Trainz is that most of the turntables don't have the exit/entry points in the right place or else they are too big. Branchline Turntable <kuid2:116296:36665:1> does, but it's the only one I've found,

Paste the licence for the Segmentdrehscheibe hier and I'll let you know what it says. After 30 years in Germany I should be able to manage that...

Paul

Thanks Paul. Here it is.

Nur fuer den persoenlichen Gebrauch. Weitere Verteilung dieser Daten sind gestattet. Diese duerfen jedoch auf keinen Fall als Payware vertrieben werden.

I've decided that Seaton is done and dusted so I will be uploading it fairly soon. There are three dependencies for Seaton which I've uploaded just now to make sure that there won't be any problems when I upload Seaton itself.

The LSWR G6 which has been appearing in the screenshots won't be included with Seaton since it's not on the DLS. If you want one just like it you can get one from Darlington Works's freeware section. https://darlington-works.weebly.com/freeware.html

I do have a shot of the old S&BR later LSWR station building and the station layout at that time. I have a problem getting it to show.

I do have a shot of the old S&BR later LSWR station building and the station layout at that time. I have a problem getting it to show.

I certainly would like to see that photo if possible. As I mentioned above in an earlier post I haven't been able to find anything except what's shown on OS maps.

Thanks Paul. Here it is.

Nur fuer den persoenlichen Gebrauch. Weitere Verteilung dieser Daten sind gestattet. Diese duerfen jedoch auf keinen Fall als Payware vertrieben werden.
Here's the translation: Only for personal use. Redistribution of this data is allowed. Under no circumstances to be made available as Payware.

Paul

I did find this on the web showing a claimed scale model of Seaton. But as you say, no pictures of the real thing only the SR replacement.

Back