Clockwork 'O' Gauge?

The Mr Evans's 1925 layout so far. I had to move the layout dimensions out to 35ft X 18ft to make it actually possible to build and operate trains on in Trainz. I have my doubts about the accuracy of the 1925 layout plan and I think it's more of a schematic plan than a true plan of where everything was placed on the original layout.
Still all kinds of details to complete, but things are essentially properly placed where they have to be now and won't be changed. I didn't build 'Crewe' and 'Liverpool' as large stations because that would have made the layout look too cluttered. I'm presently trying to think of some new names for the stations.

0g6Afak.jpg

ss1DLay.jpg

TQwNfTW.jpg

fcnz5iW.jpg

I2PVm0r.jpg

72qg2Gb.jpg

Last edited:
This is certainly looking good. I don't think it's reallypossible to build a plan exactly to scale in Trinz - there is the need for more space before a turnout, otherwise it is "locked", and then the matter of curves. And also the length of trains - what can be accepted in a real world model can look ridiculous in Trainz. The spirit of the plan is what matters!

(Just my pennyworth!)

Ray

Thanks very much Ray. "The spirit of the plan is what matters!" I can very much agree with that.

I'm working on all the detailing now which is something I enjoy doing since it helps to bring the layout to life. I'm debating with myself over whether I should add in a hidden fiddle yard or not.
I decided to change the station names since having what is effect three major cities within walking distance of each other is a bit odd. With real tinplate track and real clockwork engines in a vintage context it works, but I think most Trainz folk who are used to modern day railway modelling wouldn't get what it was about.

5nIefkd.jpg

having what is effect three major cities within walking distance of each other is a bit odd

This was so typical of layouts in earlier days. One good example was the Gainsborough MRC layout which had several mainline stations within touching distance in one room - it probably still does. Another approach, of course, was to have one station on a continuous circuit and change its name (in imagination) after a given number of circuits to create virtual distance.

I've been thinking about fiddle yards. Of course, they are commonly used on real world model railway layouts. But are they more obtrusive in the virtual world? I've used them - but I can't make up my mind - which is why I've more often gone for end-to-end, two or three station affairs, either terminus to terminus or a sort of dummy junction station.

Incidentally, does anyone know why I can no longer highlight a word in the Forum and overtype to change it or correct spelling? Fortunatelu using backspace on it to delete the word or letters still works.

Ray

These are WIP screenshots Ray. I decided to deal with the awkward fiddle yard problem by putting it in another room. A bridge from Platform 3 leads to a tunnel in the wall and the fiddle yard in the next room. I've managed to devise a way of putting a tunnel through a wall that looks reasonably Ok even though there isn't actually a hole in the wall. Our internet went down for around 36 hours and I was really surprised how much I got done without being distracted by interesting things on the internet.
I'll take some further snaps when I next visit the layout.

CSQF3zx.jpg

DtmNEmR.jpg

jqNgisP.jpg

I've managed to devise a way of putting a tunnel through a wall that looks reasonably Ok even though there isn't actually a hole in the wall.

That sounds interesting - it's one that I've been puzzling over.

Ray

That sounds interesting - it's one that I've been puzzling over.

Ray
It involves using Tunnel_gloom_V2_1t_9x8 <kuid:327008:100188> placed carefully so that the wall surface can't be seen inside the tunnel mouth. A certain amount of fiddling and adjusting is needed to get everything in the right place, but the final result is reasonably convincing.

The tunnel gloom asset <kuid:327008:100188> is for a single track tunnel, but there are two other sizes available for double track tunnels.

Thanks, Annie, that looks like a very good compromise without having to make an actual wall with a hole - which could only be used in a very specific place. And very acceptable in a simulated mode railway where one would not normally be using cab view - at leasst, I wouldn't although I suppose with modern technology and miniature camera it would be possible - in fact, I think I have seen examples.

Ray

In cab view going into the tunnel the wall is only visible for a brief moment on breaking through the 'gloom' mesh Ray and coming out of the tunnel is no different to what you would see with any tunnel since the wall textures are single sided.

A 'clockwork' engine for Trainz

This is my 'clockwork' LNWR 'Precursor' tank engine. It will wind up its clockwork with a driver command and it has a clockwork sound file that took me ages to put together. It doesn't have smoke, steam or steam sound files, nor does it carry coal or water; - I'm not sure about the whistle though and I might remove it...... or I might not.......
I don't know if I want to upload it because most Trainz folk will think it's silly.

UbyQEx2.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you very much Graham and Forester. I'll go ahead then and get the prototype test engine properly sorted out with a thumbnail image and a properly written description and upload it. I'll upload the driver command for winding up the clockwork as well. The winding up sound file runs fairly slowly so it's best to have a wait command following it to give it a chance to complete.

I have some other engines in mind to convert to clockwork, but I'll get this one uploaded first and see how it goes from there.

And definitely no faces Graham.

Another terrific 'O' gauge tinplate video. There are live steam Bassett Lowke engines at the end of the video so watch out for those.

1925 Model Railway News Layout.

My version of Mr Evans's 1925 layout has now been uploaded to the DLS and has been approved.

Hi KotangaGirl,

Your uploaded content listed below has been approved and will be available for download within 24 hours.

DWW MR 0 Gauge 1925 MRN Clockwork Layout-Final <KUID:768291:12897>

Regards,
The Trainz Team

cJUvAO9.jpg

More old tinplate trains fun. It's videos like this one that inspire me with building retro clockwork and 3 rail electric layouts.

Back