Clockwork 'O' Gauge?

Could you lay your chosen track over the template without connecting as described, and then delete the andi point which is a scenic object?

Ray

Could you lay your chosen track over the template without connecting as described, and then delete the andi point which is a scenic object?

Ray

It's a thought Ray. You could almost lay the track out how it needs to be using the invisible track and slide the O gauge switch into place without it being involved at all. So far my test point is proving to be completely reliable so I think I'll keep on with using the method I devised whether it's entirely textbook correct or not.

And for some light relief here's the first trial run of the carpet. I think I overcooked the normal map a little, but that's an easy fix.

PztzAB6.jpg

Excellent. I used Jouef HO models to build a layout for my two young sons in 1963, 10 feet by 3 feet along one wall of their shared bedroom with storage supboards beneath. Models were in very short supply at that time and there were French locomotives with British carriages. My sons - aged 5 and 3 - weren't very bothered by that!

Ray

That layout is really nice André. I don't think Jouef was imported here in New Zealand, but I do remember seeing it advertised in Model Railway magazines.

Last edited:
A lovely little set. I especially like the motor visible in the cab. One slight problem; for some reason the track is too low and you need to raise the spline points by 0.2m to get it as in the picture. I remember using Jouef switches and secondhand track on my first 00 layout in the early 1960s before I became hooked on 009.

Thanks Forester. After a further adjustment to the normal map the carpet is now done.

HzTSwnT.jpg

un9gzUB.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Forester. As to the Christmas trees I don't know of any, but you never know what might turn up if a TMR fan with 3D modelling skills becomes inspired.

Christmas trees: <KUID2:90361:22038:2> and <KUID:90361:22039:1>. Both are 40m tall and the second is blue. These would be around 1 metre tall in 0 gauge, so possibly OK as a small decoration.

In 00, 1:76, they would be just ofer half a metre, 1' 6", so OK as a table-top ornament.

There is also <KUID:524343:5753> but there is no indication of height.

In the garden, the 40m ones would be around 1.8m, 6' 0", so quite useful - and a snowy garden would look quite nice, I think!

Ray

I forgot to post these pictures. The clockwork keyhole is a simple texture overlay on a flat invisible mesh that can be positioned using either IMEditor or Attachment Maker. It's a bit tedious to do to get it in the right place, but not an especially difficult task. I don't know if anybody wants me to upload it since it's a bit of a niche item.
I've experimented with clockwork engine sound files, but found in the end that the standard track sound files in Trainz are perfectly fine as a representation of a clockwork engine in motion. My experimental engine has no smoke or steam config files as well as a silent engine sound file by the way.

My test engine runs very smoothly and is nicely behaved, - must be fitted with a 'Walker Fenn' clockwork mechanism https://www.binnsroad.co.uk/railways/walkerfenn/index.html

On the other hand I have an older GWR 'Metro' tank engine that is all spit and fire with a 'snap your neck' rate of acceleration so I guess that must be fitted with a mech from the 'economy' range.

zHt0QgO.jpg

OxPEGzd.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Ray. I would imagine that no maker of engines for Trainz would let me convert one of their creations to 'faux clockwork' and upload it though.

I had wondered what Cameron Scott would say if I asked him to make me a model of a Fenn-Walker clockwork engine.

060tank5a.jpg

I did find this incredible old monster in Chris Burgess's stable of models on the DLS. It's an ex LBSC Baltic tank and it was originally made pre-TS2004 so it's ancient. Should you download it you'll find lots of errors, - missing textures, mis-identified dependencies, completely missing dependencies & etc. It took a bit of work to get it looking like this and running again.
However in its construction and appearance it's very like an old coarse scale 'O' gauge engine, - well except for the wheels, those are a bit finescale, - but despite that it would make a great subject for conversion to either faux clockwork or faux electric propulsion. I've given it a good run about on 'Lynborough' with the excuse of testing the track since the main running lines are in place now and it runs very nicely.
I should ask Chris if he would mind if I did further experiments on this old engine and possibly upload it once I'm happy with it.

Hihr5bq.jpg

xYtXw53.jpg

Back