Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Clockwork 'O' Gauge?

Colin, - my Hornby 0 gauge engines have a brake lever with an extension underneath that engages with a sliding bar on a special piece of track which works well, though it's a bit sudden. More skilled clockwork enthusiasts learn how many winds of the key are needed so that a train stops exactly at a station platform, but I haven't mastered that yet.

I used to own a copy of this book that had instructions for all kinds of useful gadgets that could be used to stop clockwork trains. Unfortunately I no longer have it

Presently thinking about the possibilities of that 1925 plan. No promises as to when it will get done though.

Last edited by KotangaGirl; October 15th, 2020 at 02:34 PM. Reason: spelling
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

A very typical layout of the period - and other memories of the past with Ernest F Carter and Percival Marshall - and a book for three shillings!

My clockwork loco had to be stopped by hand and the brake applied. (I never gor beyond one - wartime.)

Ray
    Dukes Denver Designs (Ray Whiley - Textures and 3d Virtual Models for TRAINZ).
    Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works

I look forward to see what you decide to do Annie, I am a big fan of your clockwork theme.

I was a bit naughty as a young lad, I would make a Hornby tinplate track from the top of the stairs to the bottom and let the older wagons roll down the 'hill'
    They were very robust those little tinplate wagons!
    Not with an engine though, they were coveted!
    Last edited by euromodeller; October 16th, 2020 at 04:08 AM.
    Graham,
    Enthusiast but not expert.

Thanks Ray and thanks Graham. The first 1925 volume of Model Railway News, - 12 issues, - was re-published as a book a few years ago and I've been able to track down a copy. I have been told it contains a good few articles about clockwork railways so I will be looking forward to seeing what delights it contains. I have also been able to find a copy of E.F. Carter's 'Electric Control of Clockwork Railways' as well which was a bit of luck since it's quite a rare book these days. This time I'm going to make sure I don't lose it.

I want to make some 'tinplate' O gauge wagons along with some more coaches. Unfortunately I don't have permission to use the meshes for the 6 wheel coaches in the screenshot above so I can't upload those ones to the DLS, but there are other options I can try.

Thanks to all for the control methods. Obviously, I had the budget version - (maybe not even a Hornby) so only a wind-up version...

Looking forward to and releases!

Colin

The Mr Evans's 1925 layout so far. I had to move the layout dimensions out to 35ft X 18ft to make it actually possible to build and operate trains on in Trainz. I have my doubts about the accuracy of the 1925 layout plan and I think it's more of a schematic plan than a true plan of where everything was placed on the original layout.
    Still all kinds of details to complete, but things are essentially properly placed where they have to be now and won't be changed. I didn't build 'Crewe' and 'Liverpool' as large stations because that would have made the layout look too cluttered. I'm presently trying to think of some new names for the stations.

Last edited by KotangaGirl; October 18th, 2020 at 11:32 AM. Reason: spelling

This is certainly looking good. I don't think it's reallypossible to build a plan exactly to scale in Trinz - there is the need for more space before a turnout, otherwise it is "locked", and then the matter of curves. And also the length of trains - what can be accepted in a real world model can look ridiculous in Trainz. The spirit of the plan is what matters!

(Just my pennyworth!)

Ray

Thanks very much Ray. "The spirit of the plan is what matters!" I can very much agree with that.

I'm working on all the detailing now which is something I enjoy doing since it helps to bring the layout to life. I'm debating with myself over whether I should add in a hidden fiddle yard or not.
    I decided to change the station names since having what is effect three major cities within walking distance of each other is a bit odd. With real tinplate track and real clockwork engines in a vintage context it works, but I think most Trainz folk who are used to modern day railway modelling wouldn't get what it was about.

having what is effect three major cities within walking distance of each other is a bit odd
    This was so typical of layouts in earlier days. One good example was the Gainsborough MRC layout which had several mainline stations within touching distance in one room - it probably still does. Another approach, of course, was to have one station on a continuous circuit and change its name (in imagination) after a given number of circuits to create virtual distance.

I've been thinking about fiddle yards. Of course, they are commonly used on real world model railway layouts. But are they more obtrusive in the virtual world? I've used them - but I can't make up my mind - which is why I've more often gone for end-to-end, two or three station affairs, either terminus to terminus or a sort of dummy junction station.

Incidentally, does anyone know why I can no longer highlight a word in the Forum and overtype to change it or correct spelling? Fortunatelu using backspace on it to delete the word or letters still works.

Ray

These are WIP screenshots Ray. I decided to deal with the awkward fiddle yard problem by putting it in another room. A bridge from Platform 3 leads to a tunnel in the wall and the fiddle yard in the next room. I've managed to devise a way of putting a tunnel through a wall that looks reasonably Ok even though there isn't actually a hole in the wall. Our internet went down for around 36 hours and I was really surprised how much I got done without being distracted by interesting things on the internet.
    I'll take some further snaps when I next visit the layout.

I've managed to devise a way of putting a tunnel through a wall that looks reasonably Ok even though there isn't actually a hole in the wall.
    That sounds interesting - it's one that I've been puzzling over.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by ray_whiley View Post
    That sounds interesting - it's one that I've been puzzling over.

Ray
    It involves using Tunnel_gloom_V2_1t_9x8 <kuid:327008:100188> placed carefully so that the wall surface can't be seen inside the tunnel mouth. A certain amount of fiddling and adjusting is needed to get everything in the right place, but the final result is reasonably convincing.

The tunnel gloom asset <kuid:327008:100188> is for a single track tunnel, but there are two other sizes available for double track tunnels.

Many thanks for that, Annie.

Ray

A picture of one of the tunnel entrances Ray.

Thanks, Annie, that looks like a very good compromise without having to make an actual wall with a hole - which could only be used in a very specific place. And very acceptable in a simulated mode railway where one would not normally be using cab view - at leasst, I wouldn't although I suppose with modern technology and miniature camera it would be possible - in fact, I think I have seen examples.

Ray