Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clockwork 'O' Gauge?

Default Clockwork 'O' Gauge?

Call this a silly idea if you will, but before I developed a severe form of narcolepsy I was working in Uk coarse scale 'O' gauge and I had a sizeable tinplate train collection. I had to sell quite a lot of it because I need the money, but I still have some engines, coaches and goods wagons; - mainly the very ordinary commonplace items that were sold in toy shops and given to children at Christmas.
    I was looking at my much reduced collection today and the thought crossed my mind that it would be nice if I could build a tinplate 'O' gauge layout in TMR. I'm no 3D modeller, just a reskinner of meshes that content creators are kind enough to allow me to use so anything I did in this direction is likely to be somewhat limited.

Any thoughts or comments forum members might like to make about my daft idea would be much appeciated.

This is the Hornby clockwork engine I always wanted for Christmas when I was small, but I never got one. I own one now though.

Narcolepsy is not napping.

Don't think about it, do it!
    If it doesn't work out then keep it for yourself.

It is something I was going to try, but never did proceed further than looking for track.

mcquirel did some Lionel track and there are tin plate tracks by jjslll54 .. O_Gauge_Track

I had lots and lots of Hornby O Gauge clockwork stuff as a child.

My auntie worked in the Binns Road factory which was also very close to where I lived.

I used to go to the factory employees' childrens Christmas parties inside the factory, a little boy's paradise!
    Last edited by euromodeller; June 15th, 2020 at 04:37 AM.
    Graham,
    Enthusiast but not expert.

Why not, Annie? I received my first Hornby tin plate 0 gauge starter for Christmas 1938, but not much was added during the next few years as production ceased during the war. It was a modest collection, LMS loco with brake and reversing gear, a few assorted wagons, a platelayer's hut, a level crossing with gates that could be opened and closed by lifting them and replacing in different holes, etc. And of course the inevitable circle of track with one turnout and a few straights.

I realised that not many trains ran in circles, so my usual set up was an end-to-end layout on the floor consisting almost entirely of reverse curves.

A family friend (a member of the clergy, of course!) had an enormous collection of electric tinplate, I presume Hornby, which I believe ran on 110 volts DC.

Are you thinking of making replica locos and rolling stock? It would be quite a challenge. Or using existing Trainz models?

Some time ago, I toyed (sorry!) with the idea of a Trainz 0 gauge simulated model railway, and made a few assets for the room, but there was no interest so I gave up.

Incidentally, I still have my original shunter's pole from all that time ago!

Ray
    Last edited by ray_whiley; June 15th, 2020 at 05:19 AM.
    Dukes Denver Designs (Ray Whiley - Textures and 3d Virtual Models for TRAINZ).
    Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works

Quote Originally Posted by euromodeller View Post
    Don't think about it, do it!
    If it doesn't work out then keep it for yourself.

It is something I was going to try, but never did proceed further than looking for track.

mcquirel did some Lionel track and there are tin plate tracks by jjslll54 .. O_Gauge_Track

I had lots and lots of Hornby O Gauge clockwork stuff as a child.

My auntie worked in the Binns Road factory which was also very close to where I lived.

I used to go to the factory employees' childrens Christmas parties inside the factory, a little boy's paradise!
    Wow! Yes that is exactly what I was looking for Graham; - proper tinplate track! Thank you very much for telling me who made it so i could have a look for it on the DLS.
    I did find mcquirel's Lionel track, but it's too late an era for me. I found a few Lionel inspired locos and coaches & etc on the DLS as well, but they aren't my thing, - even though I do still own one of those massive heavy diecast Lionel locos from the 1950s that somehow missed getting sold back when I was a woman of very slender means.
    Christmas parties inside the Binns Road factory! Oh be still my beating heart. That would have been a dream come true.

Quote Originally Posted by ray_whiley View Post
    Why not, Annie? I received my first Hornby tin plate 0 gauge starter for Christmas 1938, but not much was added during the next few years as production ceased during the war. It was a modest collection, LMS loco with brake and reversing gear, a few assorted wagons, a platelayer's hut, a level crossing with gates that could be opened and closed by lifting them and replacing in different holes, etc. And of course the inevitable circle of track with one turnout and a few straights.

I realised that not many trains ran in circles, so my usual set up was an end-to-end layout on the floor consisting almost entirely of reverse curves.

A family friend (a member of the clergy, of course!) had an enormous collection of electric tinplate, I presume Hornby, which I believe ran on 110 volts DC.

Are you thinking of making replica locos and rolling stock? It would be quite a challenge. Or using existing Trainz models?

Some time ago, I toyed (sorry!) with the idea of a Trainz 0 gauge simulated model railway, and made a few assets for the room, but there was no interest so I gave up.

Incidentally, I still have my original shunter's pole from all that time ago!

Ray
    I owned a Hornby M1 passenger set when I was about 7 and I loved it, but about three years later my parents decided I was too old for it and gave it to some relative's pointy headed Neanderthal throwback children who no doubt ate it after smashing it to bits in their sandpit. It took a long while for me to forgive Mum and Dad for doing that.

I think I could reskin something presentable in the way of coaches and goods wagons Ray. Some of the GNR bogie coaches I made awhile ago were based on Marklin 'O' Gauge coaches from the late 1920s and are unashamedly tinplate like in their appearance. They are on the DLS and built around Blue's old coach meshes.
    Locos would be more difficult. Some old models from the early days of Trainz that aren't especially well detailed could be skinned into 'O' gauge tinplate engines, but getting permission might be a bit difficult. Wheels of course are the tricky bit since the old 'O' gauge coarse scale wheels were quite chunky things whereas wheels intended for Trainz aren't.

I for one would be very interested in your 'O' gauge sized room assets Ray so don't give up on them yet.

An original Hornby shunter's pole, - I've never seen one of those. I bet there isn't many of those around since they would be the kind of thing that would get lost easily.

I'm looking forward to that layout...

Will the clockwork loco have "realistic" engine specs? - i.e. full speed for about 10 minutes then stop?

Colin

I had that Loco Annie! I had quite a lot of O gauge Tinplate, both sets of Grandparents bought me sets for Christmas when I was 4 or 5, had points, level crossing signal box station etc, life was much simpler then.....
    Malc

Indeed it was Malc. I have four of the post war Hornby type '101' 0-4-0 tank engines, but my favourite one is the one in BR lined black as pictured above. My one is in good shape, but it has a wonderful much handled patina which shows somebody enjoyed it. It still runs well too.

Quote Originally Posted by ColPrice2002 View Post
    I'm looking forward to that layout...

Will the clockwork loco have "realistic" engine specs? - i.e. full speed for about 10 minutes then stop?

Colin
    Set up well and properly serviced a 'clocker' can be made to run very well indeed. I used one of my Hornby tank engines especially for shunting and it was superbly controllable using just the brake and forward and reverse control knobs at the back of the cab.

As you say though sorting out an engine spec could be an interesting exercise.

Blog Entries

I had thoughts of wanting to create either Trix Twin Railway originals (0-4-0s) or the original Bing 1920's HO stuff but I fear my lack of modelling ability will mean it never matures.
    John,
    (A bear of little brain)

I can't find my0 gauge room assets, Annie they may be lurking somewhere on an external drive, but they would be fairly easy to recreate.

Ray

In fact, since writing the above I've done the tea pot.

Ray

Never really into O gauge apart from a very brief excursion into the Big Big Train, complete with red plastic track! However I did have a Hornby OO clockwork train set at one point as a young lad, I always remember asking for an "electric train set" at Christmas but sadly my parents were not that well off and the best they could do was the clockwork version. It ran for a while but I think at some point I overwound it and snapped the spring.
    TRS 2019 Coach Class (Former Customer)

Quote Originally Posted by teddytoot View Post
    I had thoughts of wanting to create either Trix Twin Railway originals (0-4-0s) or the original Bing 1920's HO stuff but I fear my lack of modelling ability will mean it never matures.
    I was given a box of Trix Twin Railway odds and ends some years ago, but they'd had a very hard life and I could never get the locos to work. Interesting mechanisms though.

I can't find my 0 gauge room assets, Annie they may be lurking somewhere on an external drive, but they would be fairly easy to recreate.

Ray
    No pressure Ray, - I'm still experimenting with ideas for 'O' gauge tinplate trains. My GNR Marklin coaches look the part and the tinplate track by jjslll54​is absolutely spot on for for this project.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Never really into O gauge apart from a very brief excursion into the Big Big Train, complete with red plastic track! However I did have a Hornby OO clockwork train set at one point as a young lad, I always remember asking for an "electric train set" at Christmas but sadly my parents were not that well off and the best they could do was the clockwork version. It ran for a while but I think at some point I overwound it and snapped the spring.
    The springs on those were always fragile, - they must've ended up disappointing a lot of children.